homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
  
Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

View Poll Results: Which is the best option?
EVH 5150 III 50 watts (mini) 26 56.52%
Laney Ironheart 120watts 3 6.52%
Peavey 6505 0 0%
Peavey 6534+ 3 6.52%
Peavey 6505+ 9 19.57%
Blackstar HT 100 Metal 5 10.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree9Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
ss.org Regular
 
metalguy2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0
metalguy2013 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post EVH 5150 III mini vs Laney Ironheart 120 vs Peavey 6505+ vs Blackstar HT 100 Metal

Hi, I want this type of distortion. What say me people?

metalguy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on SevenString.org
   
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
SSBRO.org regular
 
JoshuaVonFlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cleveland, Ohio United States
Posts: 3,340
Thanked: 32
JoshuaVonFlash has much to be proud ofJoshuaVonFlash has much to be proud ofJoshuaVonFlash has much to be proud ofJoshuaVonFlash has much to be proud ofJoshuaVonFlash has much to be proud ofJoshuaVonFlash has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm pretty sure all of these amps will get you that kind of distortion, what else do you play (to narrow down your choice).
JoshuaVonFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
SS.org Regular
 
MikeyLawless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: ft carson co
Posts: 373
Thanked: 2 / 1
MikeyLawless is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy2013 View Post
Hi, I want this type of distortion. What say me people?

They will all give you that sound...my vote is for the laney.
MikeyLawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Tears Are My Bidet
 
HeHasTheJazzHands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 12,673
Thanked: 129
HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Laney Ironheart loaded with EL34s or the 6534+.
HeHasTheJazzHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
ss.org Regular
 
metalguy2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0
metalguy2013 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuavsoapkid View Post
I'm pretty sure all of these amps will get you that kind of distortion, what else do you play (to narrow down your choice).
Well man, I love the modern tones more that other thing. I'm looking a head with that type of distortion, but I want something professional and a head with a decent clean, but, the clean not is very important for me like the distortion, but I not want a blues clean, I want a jazz clean if this is possible. I play in my band, rock/metal modern and some soft things. I want a head with MUCH headroom (that sound FULLER, KILLER, A MONSTER HEAD).
metalguy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\
 
Spaced Out Ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,243
Thanked: 5 / 1
Spaced Out Ace is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well, if you want lots of headroom, you'd want something with kt88s like a Splawn Nitro or Fryette.
Djentliman likes this.

LTD H-500 // LTD H1001
VHT Sig:X // Randall RS412LB
Line 6 POD X3 Live // Line 6 POD HD500
MXR Wylde Phase // Chorus // OD // Dimebag wah


Time stood still the way it did before
It's like I'm sleepwalking
Turn into another hole I got
It's like I'm sleepwalking
Spaced Out Ace is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
ss.org Regular
 
metalguy2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0
metalguy2013 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Out Ace View Post
Well, if you want lots of headroom, you'd want something with kt88s like a Splawn Nitro or Fryette.
Is out of my budget
metalguy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\
 
Spaced Out Ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,243
Thanked: 5 / 1
Spaced Out Ace is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy2013 View Post
Is out of my budget
Is it out of your budget used? Don't think I read where you mentioned a budget.

LTD H-500 // LTD H1001
VHT Sig:X // Randall RS412LB
Line 6 POD X3 Live // Line 6 POD HD500
MXR Wylde Phase // Chorus // OD // Dimebag wah


Time stood still the way it did before
It's like I'm sleepwalking
Turn into another hole I got
It's like I'm sleepwalking
Spaced Out Ace is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
ss.org Regular
 
metalguy2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0
metalguy2013 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Out Ace View Post
Is it out of your budget used? Don't think I read where you mentioned a budget.
Well, the heads mentioned in this thread are in the same range of prices.
metalguy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
SS.org Regular
 
Handbanana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 468
Thanked: 4
Handbanana is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm biased, honestly i get a boner every time i play through my 5150 iii
Handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
ss.org Regular
 
metalguy2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0
metalguy2013 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbanana View Post
I'm biased, honestly i get a boner every time i play through my 5150 iii
Well, I think that you have the 100 watts version. I think buy the 50 watter, but I not know if this amp (the mini), have a tone fuller or completed like are the heads of 120watts or 100watts.

I can see all the time, guitar players with amps of 100 or 120 watts for this style musical. 50 watts is like more for the practice, now, 100watts is like to play in live, for concerts. But I not sure of this. What can say me?
metalguy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
Heavens Football Bat
 
Metaldestroyerdennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 560
Thanked: 3
Metaldestroyerdennis is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy2013 View Post
Well, I think that you have the 100 watts version. I think buy the 50 watter, but I not know if this amp (the mini), have a tone fuller or completed like are the heads of 120watts or 100watts.

I can see all the time, guitar players with amps of 100 or 120 watts for this style musical. 50 watts is like more for the practice, now, 100watts is like to play in live, for concerts. But I not sure of this. What can say me?
Exactly what 50 watt amps are you practicing with because mine is pretty f***in' loud
Metaldestroyerdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #13
SSBRO.org regular
 
JoshuaVonFlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cleveland, Ohio United States
Posts: 3,340
Thanked: 32
JoshuaVonFlash has much to be proud ofJoshuaVonFlash has much to be proud ofJoshuaVonFlash has much to be proud ofJoshuaVonFlash has much to be proud ofJoshuaVonFlash has much to be proud ofJoshuaVonFlash has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
He's probably using solid state, solid state watts are about a quarter or even half the output of a tube amp of the wattage.
JoshuaVonFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #14
Tears Are My Bidet
 
HeHasTheJazzHands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 12,673
Thanked: 129
HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah, even for small gigs, 50W may be to much.
HeHasTheJazzHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #15
SS.org Regular
 
7stringDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 2,070
Thanked: 19
7stringDemon is a glorious beacon of light7stringDemon is a glorious beacon of light7stringDemon is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The 50W is loud as fu*k and VERY close to the 100W. Almost exact.

It's exactly what you're looking for.

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search!
Trans Blue/Teal Quilt Maple tops
7stringDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #16
ss.org Regular
 
metalguy2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0
metalguy2013 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good. =) But my problem not is exactly with the loud, is with the tone, 100 watt or 120 watt sound like with more mids or body and fuller that a 50 watt head. Is like a comparison of cars. A 50 watt sound like a engine of a toyota corolla. Now, a 100 or 120 watts sound like a engine of a Mercedez SLR Mclaren or Lamborgini. Can understand me now?
metalguy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
SS.org Regular
 
GreatWhiteYeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pheonix, AZ
Posts: 313
Thanked: 12 / 1
GreatWhiteYeti is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 50 watt head is louder than both of my band mates 100w heads. And the size of the thing is hard to replace when moving on and off the stage as fast as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbanana View Post
I'm biased, honestly i get a boner every time i play through my 5150 iii

! Indeed!
GreatWhiteYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
SS.org Regular
 
Underworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,364
Thanked: 42
Underworld is a name known to allUnderworld is a name known to allUnderworld is a name known to allUnderworld is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy2013 View Post
Good. =) But my problem not is exactly with the loud, is with the tone, 100 watt or 120 watt sound like with more mids or body and fuller that a 50 watt head. Is like a comparison of cars. A 50 watt sound like a engine of a toyota corolla. Now, a 100 or 120 watts sound like a engine of a Mercedez SLR Mclaren or Lamborgini. Can understand me now?

This is where you are wrong. Wattage does not equal sound quality. Wattage does not equal percieved volume. Wattage is a mesurement of energy and headroom. You get what? 3db difference between 50 watts and 100 watts?! You cannot compare wattage to car engine. Some of the best tone of all time come from low wattage amps, Bad Cat amps per say. Also, not to mention the extremely shitty Crate Blue Voodoo 300

The 50 watts is NOT a mini amp. It's just a smaller, more affordable version of the original.

Now, how does compare the EVH 50 watts vs the 100 watts. Meaner. More gain. Volume power is almost as powerfull.

My bandmate has the 100 watts, and I own the 50 watts, both into Mesa 4X12 OS cab from the same era. In our rock band, we use channel 2 for our rhythm sound. I put the gain on about 11:30, and the volume at 10:00 (we play FVCKING LOUD). On his, gain is on 3:00, volume at 9:30. We have almost the exact same sound.

The only difference I can see is that the 100 watts is a little more low mids oriented where the 50 is high mids oriented but this is VERY SUBTLE.


I have been a true amp whore before owning the EVH - I got a Framus Cobra, Mesa Triaxis + 2:90, VHT Pitbull CL, VHT 2-90 with Ada MP1, 3 Laney amps. I changed amps every 6 months! I 've been owning the EVH for 1 year and a half now, and it still amaze me. That's something.

<a href=https://www.facebook.com/pages/Progenies/452143194873352 target=_blank>https://www.facebook.com/pages/Proge...52143194873352</a>
Underworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
Cogito, ergo bardus.
 
Quitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Israel
Posts: 1,245
Thanked: 15
Quitty is just really niceQuitty is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy2013 View Post
Good. =) But my problem not is exactly with the loud, is with the tone, 100 watt or 120 watt sound like with more mids or body and fuller that a 50 watt head. Is like a comparison of cars. A 50 watt sound like a engine of a toyota corolla. Now, a 100 or 120 watts sound like a engine of a Mercedez SLR Mclaren or Lamborgini. Can understand me now?
Understand? yes. I think you just disagree.
A 50W head has almost the same perceived volume, but less headroom. Bottom line is, when you really crank it up, you will have less low-bass than on a 100W version. If you have a bassist, that's usually a good thing.
The mids shouldn't be any different. The tone should be identical.

"I WANT TO .... A UNICORN IN THE ASS WITH IT AND IMPREGNATE IT WITH MY METAL SEED!" ~FretWizard88

...But dignity is difficult to maintain,
stamina requires constant upkeep,
repetition is boring
and you pay for grace.
Quitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #20
ss.org Regular
 
metalguy2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0
metalguy2013 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underworld View Post
This is where you are wrong. Wattage does not equal sound quality. Wattage does not equal percieved volume. Wattage is a mesurement of energy and headroom. You get what? 3db difference between 50 watts and 100 watts?! You cannot compare wattage to car engine. Some of the best tone of all time come from low wattage amps, Bad Cat amps per say. Also, not to mention the extremely shitty Crate Blue Voodoo 300

The 50 watts is NOT a mini amp. It's just a smaller, more affordable version of the original.

Now, how does compare the EVH 50 watts vs the 100 watts. Meaner. More gain. Volume power is almost as powerfull.

My bandmate has the 100 watts, and I own the 50 watts, both into Mesa 4X12 OS cab from the same era. In our rock band, we use channel 2 for our rhythm sound. I put the gain on about 11:30, and the volume at 10:00 (we play FVCKING LOUD). On his, gain is on 3:00, volume at 9:30. We have almost the exact same sound.

The only difference I can see is that the 100 watts is a little more low mids oriented where the 50 is high mids oriented but this is VERY SUBTLE.


I have been a true amp whore before owning the EVH - I got a Framus Cobra, Mesa Triaxis + 2:90, VHT Pitbull CL, VHT 2-90 with Ada MP1, 3 Laney amps. I changed amps every 6 months! I 've been owning the EVH for 1 year and a half now, and it still amaze me. That's something.
Thanks, I understand this. Well, I have a Mesa 4x12 with v30, I love the low mids, the Mark Tremonti style.
metalguy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #21
the ninja from hell
 
talon97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 62
Thanked: 2
talon97 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Story of The Year - Ryan Phillips Guitar Gear Rig and Equipment
talon97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #22
ss.org Regular
 
metalguy2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0
metalguy2013 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mesa Boogie Lonestar (1800$) and Stilleto Deuce (1900$). Marshall JCM800 with mods (2400$ + the mod, like 2800$). No man, they use 100 watts heads, can see? Is a great tone, but the prices are very out of my budget, not can buy this. Used can be a great option, but, is like very dangerous no?

My budget in USA is of 1100$.
metalguy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
ss.org Regular
 
metalguy2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0
metalguy2013 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Also, this band (Story of the Year) in this year use recently Blackstar Series One 104 EL34 (2100$). But, like I not can buy that heads, I only can buy the new Blackstar HT 100 METAL =)
metalguy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #24
SS.org Regular
 
Underworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,364
Thanked: 42
Underworld is a name known to allUnderworld is a name known to allUnderworld is a name known to allUnderworld is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy2013 View Post
Used can be a great option, but, is like very dangerous no?

My budget in USA is of 1100$.

Again, no. I always (or almost) buy used, and never got a single problem with my stuff. In fact, I prefer used guitars and cabinets are they are "worn in" or "settled"... you know, a brand new guitar have some kind of stiff, not "broken in" feeling that I don't like. I prefer not to deal with an instrument that still needs time to adjust itself properly. Used guitars are, I believe, much more stable.

Best exemple? Last time I went guitar shopping in a store, the guitar I though had the best feeling and mojo was the Fender Stratocaster Road Worn... an already beaten up strat where the finish was scrapped at places. Loved it.

<a href=https://www.facebook.com/pages/Progenies/452143194873352 target=_blank>https://www.facebook.com/pages/Proge...52143194873352</a>
Underworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #25
ss.org Regular
 
metalguy2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0
metalguy2013 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underworld View Post
Again, no. I always (or almost) buy used, and never got a single problem with my stuff. In fact, I prefer used guitars and cabinets are they are "worn in" or "settled"... you know, a brand new guitar have some kind of stiff, not "broken in" feeling that I don't like. I prefer not to deal with an instrument that still needs time to adjust itself properly. Used guitars are, I believe, much more stable.

Best exemple? Last time I went guitar shopping in a store, the guitar I though had the best feeling and mojo was the Fender Stratocaster Road Worn... an already beaten up strat where the finish was scrapped at places. Loved it.
Well man, I love that low mids range in the tone of a 100 watts head, I prefer this that have high mids. Leaving out the EVH mini of the list, what of the others heads you recommend me for this that I 'm looking?
metalguy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Our Network: PRS Guitar Forum | Luthier Forum | SG Guitar Forum | Les Paul Forum | Marshall Amp Forum | Acoustic Guitar Forum

SS.org proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2004-2014, SevenString.org. All Rights Reserved.