homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Evil Weasel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

EvilToaster626 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Buying first 7-string guitar- UK

I have been looking at 7-string guitars for the past year and have finally decided upon maybe getting an Ibanez RGD7421! I have yet to try it out, however I have played pretty much the same 7-string Ibanez with the floating bridge and really liked it... would like some opinions/advice
EvilToaster626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Thall.

BoredomKills will become famous soon enough
Just keep in mind you may want to swap the pickups out for something a little hotter. Other than that it's a very solid guitar.
BoredomKills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Evil Weasel is just really niceEvil Weasel is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you are buying it brand new without playing one just go for a store with a good returns policy. Gives you plenty of time to bond and decide if it is the right guitar for you. That is why I love ordering from Thomann. 30 day money back policy and they are usually the cheapest for the guitars in the first place.
Evil Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 04:00 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredomKills View Post
Just keep in mind you may want to swap the pickups out for something a little hotter. Other than that it's a very solid guitar.
Yeah I was thinking of swapping the stock pickups for something like DiMarzio or bare knuckles later. For the budget which I have set myself, I was considering a RGA7 and swapping the pickups straight away...
Unread 07-17-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Weasel View Post
If you are buying it brand new without playing one just go for a store with a good returns policy. Gives you plenty of time to bond and decide if it is the right guitar for you. That is why I love ordering from Thomann. 30 day money back policy and they are usually the cheapest for the guitars in the first place.
I was thinking about getting it from thomann but it sucks that they dont do a finance option which is what I was looking at doing so I dont plumet all my savings back to ziltch!
Unread 07-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilToaster626 View Post
I was thinking about getting it from thomann but it sucks that they dont do a finance option which is what I was looking at doing so I dont plumet all my savings back to ziltch!
Hmm in that case Andertons probably have the best finance (9 months to pay balance with no APR) but the returns policy is only 7 days. With that little time I think it would be best to see if you can get down to an Andertons store and play the instrument before you buy it. Bristol isn't that far away from Guildford and it will certainly be worth it.

Swappimg pickups on an RGA will be a bit of a pain unless you stick with actives due to having to swap all the pots and having that random mid cut switch. Could always turn it into a coil tap!
EvilToaster626 likes this.
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

mortbopet is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I always recommend people to look at the used market. Instead of buying a new RGD7421, try looking into a used RG1527 if you are able to find one. They are super solid guitars, made in japan, and has top quality handwork and feel.
mortbopet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortbopet View Post
I always recommend people to look at the used market. Instead of buying a new RGD7421, try looking into a used RG1527 if you are able to find one. They are super solid guitars, made in japan, and has top quality handwork and feel.
I would second 742x/762x but they are actually quite expensive in the UK and would take up most of the budget. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but he wants to buy on finance, in which case brand new is the only real option.

A new RGA7 is about 500. A good condition 7420/7620 is likely to be 350+ when you find one for sale (not that often, even on ebay) and the 7421/7621's are premiums on top of that as people don't like selling them! A good condition 1527 will likely be 450+. At least they come in the nice royal/comso blue instead of just black!
Unread 07-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #9
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortbopet View Post
I am checking mostly everyday just to make sure I wont miss a good deal.. but it just I kinda need to buy one on finance otherwise I wont be eating until next payday!
Unread 07-19-2012, 04:58 AM   #10
ss.org Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Weasel View Post
Hmm in that case Andertons probably have the best finance (9 months to pay balance with no APR) but the returns policy is only 7 days. With that little time I think it would be best to see if you can get down to an Andertons store and play the instrument before you buy it. Bristol isn't that far away from Guildford and it will certainly be worth it.

Swappimg pickups on an RGA will be a bit of a pain unless you stick with actives due to having to swap all the pots and having that random mid cut switch. Could always turn it into a coil tap!
Have you had any experience with Andertons? That is where I was initially looking to buy the RGD I just have not used them before... And I didn't realize that it was not far from where I live so I shall maybe take a trip in the next month and try it out!
Unread 07-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
Urwało mi dupę

peagull is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I bought both my HD500 and 607b from Andertons, both times were fine. Used the pay4later option (0% APR option, 1 deposit and 9 monthy payments) Shippng was quick, no problems at all. I'd definately buy from them again if I'm buying new gear over the internet.

But definately try and find one to play on first. Is there nowhere even closer which will stock them. I often go to my Local PMT to try it, then buy from somewhere which isn't so bloody expensive.
peagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

Ah great thanks man! I will defiantly be looking to the guitar from there! I keep checking my local PMT but there useless for stocking seven strings.. I check mostly every week and they said that they don't know "when they will have another seven coming in as it is always random"
Unread 07-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

So are you going for the RGA7 or the RGD7421? If you get the chance try out the RG7321. It's cheaper than the others at 375, pretty similar to the RGA7 (same neck and bridge) plus it already has passives so you can do a straight pickup swap without replacing the pots. The only real difference is the mahogany arch top vs basswood but that is the same dilemma as with the RGD7421. The only major differences between the RGD7421 and RG7321 are the 1" scale difference and the loss of 1 knob on the RGD (from what I see online anyway, never played the RGD).

Andertons are sold out according to online but maybe they will have one in store. The website says they will have more stock in 1-2 weeks but who knows. I was under the impression it was discontinued but loads of places still have stock so either they didn't sell well or the distributors have a pile of them still to get rid of.
Unread 07-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #14
ss.org Regular

I was not aware of the "RG7321", just looked it up and it seems to have what I want for a not so big price tag! I'm turned of by the RGA7 since its active pickups and I want to change pickups to Bareknuckles in the near future... 1" scale difference doesn't mean much to me I really need to try these guitars out, I'm pending a response from PMT to what they have in stock 7-string wise.
Unread 07-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

Quote:
I was not aware of the "RG7321", just looked it up and it seems to have what I want for a not so big price tag! I'm turned of by the RGA7 since its active pickups and I want to change pickups to Bareknuckles in the near future... 1" scale difference doesn't mean much to me I really need to try these guitars out, I'm pending a response from PMT to what they have in stock 7-string wise.
If you decide to just buy one outright not on finance you can pick up a used RG7321 for about the 200 mark on ebay. Find one local to you on ebay or gumtree if you can and go try it out. That way you can save up the rest of the cash for a pickup/bridge upgrade or whatever else you want to do.

At stock spec they are solid but not great guitars but make a good modding platform. Just don't go spending too much on it as it won't really translate into resale value should you get rid of it!
Unread 07-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

Ninetyfour has a spectacular aura about
Ibanez Prestige RG1527 7 String Seymour Duncan Blackouts and Hard Prestige Case | eBay

Get bidding on that, it would be a wise decision.
Ninetyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
ss.org Regular

Thanks for all the advice everyone! After a lot of decision making I've just bought the Ibanez RG7321! Should come in the post tomorrow!
Unread 08-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

StratFreak11 has a spectacular aura about
I played one today for the first time at a music store for about 10 minutes and i liked it personally. VERY good access to upper frets, real nice matte black look/feel (doesn't show finger prints half as much as a glossy one), feels sturdy as hell ! Sounds decent, I personally liked the sound of the, less expensive, RG7321 much more BUT there was so many finger prints on it that i would flip shit cleaning it :P i'm still heavily considering the RG7321, but the RGD7421 is still on the table !
StratFreak11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #19
ss.org Regular

I really loved both guitars when I played them, the feel of the RG7321 felt better for me (it's a tad smaller than the RGD neck scale) so I'm glad I gave it a go! I'm Changing the stock bridge pickup to a Dimarzio Crunch lab 7 to get a nicer tone out of it! - have to thank Evil Weasel a tonne for informing about the guitar saved me alot of money!
Unread 08-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

StratFreak11 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I really loved both guitars when I played them, the feel of the RG7321 felt better for me (it's a tad smaller than the RGD neck scale) so I'm glad I gave it a go! I'm Changing the stock bridge pickup to a Dimarzio Crunch lab 7 to get a nicer tone out of it! - have to thank Evil Weasel a tonne for informing about the guitar saved me alot of money!
Very cool, im thinking of one of them myself, they are very nice. If i get it, im swapping both pups, I need less mud in the bridge, and a fat smooth neck pup, so the Ibanez ones aren't good for that. Enjoy the guitar !! Put pics up
StratFreak11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #21
ss.org Regular

Thumbs up

Aha Well it's been a week and bit and I'm adoring this guitar! Switching the bridge Pickup for the Dimarzio Crunch lab next week on Friday! Finding the neck pickup sounds pretty good through my rig and style of playing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0245.jpg (388.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0246.jpg (409.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-08-31 14-44-45.004.jpg (490.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-08-31 14-45-26.338.jpg (509.1 KB, 6 views)