homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jasted75

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

jasted75 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm lost and need a guide! (another noob)

Hello everyone! I have been playing in B standard for a while on my 6-string, but I am ready to move on to a 7-string. For the last 15 years I have played ESP or LTD exclusively and I love them. I know a lot of people hate EMG's, but I like the sound of active pick-ups. Anyway, I ordered the H-1007 when it first came out and got one with a twisted neck. I have never had problems with an LTD, but it caught me in a bad mood and I am considering switching brands.
I have no problem with the sound I get from my 25.5 scale, but I have read much about a cleaner sound from the 26.5 and I don't want to cheat myself. So, I am considering the Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7. I LOVE ebony fretboards and it would offer the 26.5 scale. However, I tried the SD Blackouts on a friend's guitar and they sound muddy compared to my EMG's. Now, ESP has released the ZH-7 which is my dream guitar, but it only comes in 25.5. Is the 26.5 really better?
I realize Ibanez is the choice of many, but the skinny neck is actually a problem for my big hands. I am used to the ESP necks and prefer to not change more than I have to. I also hate Ibanez pick-ups (just a personal preference) although the RG shape, in my opinion, is the perfect guitar body shape.
This didn't really fit in the "vs." department as the scale and pickups are the main problems. I apologize if I have posted in the wrong place. Please, have mercy on the noob
jasted75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I like the bit of extra clarity you get with the 26.5" but it does not matter all that much. You should be aware (imo!) that the 7 string EMG stuff is very different than the 6 string stuff. Much worse IMO.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Many Fingers

Valennic is a glorious beacon of lightValennic is a glorious beacon of lightValennic is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
I like the bit of extra clarity you get with the 26.5" but it does not matter all that much. You should be aware (imo!) that the 7 string EMG stuff is very different than the 6 string stuff. Much worse IMO.
This.

The extended scale offers a bit more tightness in the low end, but not enough to write home about IMO.

Also the 7 string EMG stuff is much more sterile and lifeless than its 6 string counterparts from what I've seen. Some people do enjoy them though, as you said, you enjoy them, but I'd recommend the 707x's over the normal ones you'll find. Also the SLS series come with Blackouts IIRC.

Affiliated with Ace Music of Newville, PA.

Valennic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
dEUs

ExhumedShadow is just really niceExhumedShadow is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Don't get hung up on d scale length, make your choice based, on woods, construction, pick-ups. Shorter scale thicker strings, problem solved.
(simply putting)

EMGs are not my first choice, but is always a safe way to go, you get a thigh sound, intense high gain crunch and good overall quality. I don't like 707's in d bridge though, 81-7x + 707tw is d best combo IMO.

"He has Van Gogh's ear for music."
ExhumedShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

jasted75 is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I just assumed the 7-string EMGs would sound similar to my 81/85. Thanks for the info. I think it's best if I make the drive to a shop and play a few before I order online. I guess when it comes down to it, I not recording the album of the year tomorrow or anything. But, I am not a rich man, and if I spend $1000 and get a crap sound I will be a little miffed! I can't afford several guitars in different tunings so I figured I would go to a 7 and quit having to tune from D to C to B every other day. We'll see what happens!
Solodini likes this.
jasted75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #6
7String Newbie

Joeseffel will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasted75 View Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I just assumed the 7-string EMGs would sound similar to my 81/85. Thanks for the info. I think it's best if I make the drive to a shop and play a few before I order online. I guess when it comes down to it, I not recording the album of the year tomorrow or anything. But, I am not a rich man, and if I spend $1000 and get a crap sound I will be a little miffed! I can't afford several guitars in different tunings so I figured I would go to a 7 and quit having to tune from D to C to B every other day. We'll see what happens!
You've nailed it in your first few sentences. Go and try some- we can give you advice but we can't tell you what will feel nice in your hands, be a good weight, comfortable shape etc. Try the usual few and get a look in at the LTD 7s since you like ESP, there's a shape for all tastes, as long as you like matte black... If you do like matte black check the Loomis out as well. Of course this all depends on what's in store where you live.

Last edited by Joeseffel; 07-14-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Suggested Ibanez, re-read OP and saw he hates them
Joeseffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
MORE RESTS!

Solodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah, try what you can, even if it's out of your price range, and see what you like the feel and sound of. . Woods, construction, strings, amps, hands all vary the sound and only you can day what feels comfortable to you. Even quality of wood within the same species counts.

Good luck in your search. You seem to have a pleasant manner about you, so I hope you'll stick around.

Check out my book: "Playing Guitar Musically: A Guide to Creativity on Guitar & Bass"
Buy the full book here. eBook - 5. Physical copies also available.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4063031-post14.html
PM me if you want to discuss it or just fancy a chat.

I also give lessons over Skype, Bandhappy and within the Lothians.
Solodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
schecterman

blackjackslsc8 can only hope to improve
Get the blackjack sls c8. Once you go blackjack...you know the saying. All prayers answered: long scale, perfectly sized neck, sd blackouts...slick, simple design. And its a schecter, so you kind of get the impression you're getting a lot more for your money--I mean sheesh--all the other guys include crappy pups. Great guitar. 28 inches, man. 27 just ain't gonna cut it anymore, folks.
blackjackslsc8 is offline   Reply With Quote