homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By theo
  • 1 Post By InfinityCollision
  • 1 Post By Splinterhead
  • 1 Post By Konfyouzd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
Master of the chug

DancingForFables will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question What is your approach to seven/eight strings?

Hey guys, I have recently acquired an eight string guitar (Schecter Omen 8) and I was wondering how do you guys approach having extra strings on. I don't wanna be boxed into the chugging-the-bottom-string mindset. Also what different chords can you guys provide utilizing the extra strings?
DancingForFables is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

MrPepperoniNipples is just really niceMrPepperoniNipples is just really nice
i put my 8 in drop E which gives a ton of neat bar chord options

i use it when i do jazz and with the chords having all the lower registers sounds incredible
MrPepperoniNipples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
Master of the chug

DancingForFables will become famous soon enough
Yeah I just dropped it, and it sounds amazing hearing the lows in the notes ring in the chords!
DancingForFables is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
sweet little lolita.

Brill is a jewel in the rough
I'm currently setting my Omen-8 up so Its Tuned to B,E,A,D,G,B,E,A. This is so the I don't have my guitar clashing with the bass.
Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
Tries to be helpful

Sam MJ is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
if you don't want to get stuck chugging, don't chug, simple

have a look at extending the chords you already know onto the extra two strings, for the low B its simple, you just mirror whats being played on the high B and if you drop the F# down to an E you can just mirror that
Sam MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
Ibanez whore

theo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Pretty much the same as a 6 really.
Luke Acacia likes this.
theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

TankJon666 is a jewel in the rough
I generally approach playing an 8 string the same as playing a 5 string bass. I try to use the low string sparingly. For example ..you have a track thats written in drop E ...where do you go after that? Surely not lower otherwise it just starts getting f*ckin' stupid. My approach is to say write a track in B with the lower string tuned to either F# or Drop E so I have that extra low to go down to emphasise the br00talz ...if any of that makes sense
TankJon666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

InfinityCollision is a name known to allInfinityCollision is a name known to allInfinityCollision is a name known to allInfinityCollision is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
For me the appeal of ERGs is in the tonal and harmonic possibilities the extra string(s) open up. You can play chords with a more "open" voicing (more space between individual notes in the chord) and the low notes give you some extra depth if you want to play a bass line on guitar (whether for accompanying yourself or allowing someone else - perhaps even your bassist! - to play melodic lines over your bass line and harmony). Having access to more notes within a single position can be useful as well. Basically this:

George van Eps, for reference:

Fred's video does a good job of explaining the benefits of an ERG, the van Eps vid demonstrates the chord voicings and bass line playing in practice.
Solodini likes this.
InfinityCollision is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
silly person

Dayn is just really niceDayn is just really nice
After a couple of years of having an eight-string, I've settled completely on tuning to drop E and approaching it the same as a six-string guitar. In other words, just as a guitar, with an extra octave of range. I make use of those lower notes in clean music, using the extra range to space notes out more if I need to. I might use that extra range to add some low end as a lead-in to higher-pitched chords. In one of my clean songs, I don't bother with bass. My guitar takes care of all of that.

Of course, there's no harm in chugging. For less intricate low distorted lines, I'll drop the bass an octave too to fit under the guitar. Otherwise, I'll keep the bass in the same octave for more technical lines to reinforce the guitar. Otherwise, the guitar just sounds lost to me.

...?!
Dayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
Rogue intellectual

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankJon666 View Post
I generally approach playing an 8 string the same as playing a 5 string bass. I try to use the low string sparingly. For example ..you have a track thats written in drop E ...where do you go after that? Surely not lower otherwise it just starts getting f*ckin' stupid. My approach is to say write a track in B with the lower string tuned to either F# or Drop E so I have that extra low to go down to emphasise the br00talz ...if any of that makes sense
I find myself working in a similar fashion on my 8. I really like riffs rooted in B, so I'll use my lowest string (tuned to F#) to thicken up a chord, or to provide a lower note (usually a fifth or seventh) to lead back to the root. I don't riff in F# very much.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
consist of tones only, dismantled of words.
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
Sojourner

Splinterhead is a glorious beacon of lightSplinterhead is a glorious beacon of lightSplinterhead is a glorious beacon of light
My approach is to try my best to assimilate the two extra strings (F#, B) into my playing style and use them as I would any other strings. For me its a work in progress as I'm continuing to find new cool harmonic ideas to play. Also I recommend learning all the scales that you're familiar with using the notes on both low strings for the root notes. Also 7 and 8 string arps sound positively frightening.
Solodini likes this.
Splinterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:13 AM   #12
Whisper into nose

Asrial is just really niceAsrial is just really nice
Right now, my main seven (Ibby RG1527) is tuned in open C minor, but normally it's in drop A.
That said, it depends on what I feel I need. In drop A, the strings are thin enough to not mud the low chords, so I treat it like a riff tool on the 4 lowest strings, and let anything solo'y or fast happen when it's needed.
In open C minor though, the low G needs a far thicker string which gets a much different sound thanks to timbre. That case, most of my riffing and writing occurs on the same range as a normal guitar set in open C. I only use the low G on passages and as a supplement to get some depth. Octave-sliding gets sooo much thicker when I pair the low and mid G instead of mid and high.

The Asrial Project Bandcamp
The Asrial Project Soundcloud
The Asrial Project Twitter
The Asrial Project Facebook

JeffFromMtl: Anyone who says sex is over-rated is doing it wrong.
I don't care how good your stupid toffee brioche pudding is.
Myself: Han shot first
Asrial is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:23 AM   #13
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I tune up to drop C with a high and low G because why not.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #14
PC rig poster boy

JPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I keep my main 7 in A standard. I used that tuning in the band I was in last, and I got used to it. I've also found it quite useful for church music applications. I'm still deciding what to do with an 8-string if I do end up having one long-term.

My inspiration for wanting to use the range of an 8-string is Robert Conti.

Ask enough questions, and you can answer anything.
JPhoenix19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #15
MORE RESTS!

Solodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityCollision View Post
For me the appeal of ERGs is in the tonal and harmonic possibilities the extra string(s) open up. You can play chords with a more "open" voicing (more space between individual notes in the chord) and the low notes give you some extra depth if you want to play a bass line on guitar (whether for accompanying yourself or allowing someone else - perhaps even your bassist! - to play melodic lines over your bass line and harmony). Having access to more notes within a single position can be useful as well.
Pretty much this. Extended range doesn't just mean being able to go lower than you can on standard tuned 6 string, but also means being able to reach a wider range of notes at once. A lot of the time, my 7th and 8th are used to reach notes which already reside on higher strings but then I can reach higher notes in higher positions of the higher strings, while still reaching the notes which would otherwise reside on the low frets of the lowest strings.

It also means you can play closer voicings, by use of open strings. 8 string is surprisingly good for country inspired stuff, in that regard.

Like Greg, I also just approach them as I do any other strings.

Check out my book: "Playing Guitar Musically: A Guide to Creativity on Guitar & Bass"
Buy the full book here. eBook - £5. Physical copies also available.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4063031-post14.html
PM me if you want to discuss it or just fancy a chat.

I also give lessons over Skype, Bandhappy and within the Lothians.
Solodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #16
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
7 is in standard. My 8 is in drop E. I use it like a 7 mostly, but if I need to hit a chord lower than the B I barre it on the 8th. Or I use it to add some chunk to the bottom end of a chord I play on the E2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solodini View Post
Pretty much this. Extended range doesn't just mean being able to go lower than you can on standard tuned 6 string
Quote:
A lot of the time, my 7th and 8th are used to reach notes which already reside on higher strings but then I can reach higher notes in higher positions of the higher strings, while still reaching the notes which would otherwise reside on the low frets of the lowest strings.
Quote:
Like Greg, I also just approach them as I do any other strings.
All of this...

I'm still confused as to why people seem to think adding strings implies a completely new purpose. If you know the intervals between the strings, it shouldn't matter whether you have 6 or 600.
Solodini likes this.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #17
Army Without A Flag

All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.
Play 'em like any other guitar, as for tuning, it's a stack of fourths starting on F#.
F#BEADGCF

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_¥our_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 03:35 AM   #18
do u evn djent fggt?

JosephAOI is a name known to allJosephAOI is a name known to allJosephAOI is a name known to allJosephAOI is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I tune to Drop G and approach it in mostly the same way as a 6. I absolutely need the 7 thought because for some reason, that extra string feels like it frees up my mind. I can't think on a 6, there's just not enough thinking space if you know what I mean.

I also like that in G, I have the ability to write songs in G (obviously), but also, G#, A, B, C, C#, whatever, and still have that low note to hit should I need it.

"Your picking hand scares me, Joseph" - My friend Pete

"If you can't enjoy one Meshuggah riff looped
for three hours straight, you're doing it wrong." -prh

"Having technical prowess is like masturbation: it's pretty
cool and it might please you, but there is still no emotional
connection between you and your hands." - broj15
JosephAOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 03:59 AM   #19
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfyouzd View Post
7 is in standard. My 8 is in drop E. I use it like a 7 mostly, but if I need to hit a chord lower than the B I barre it on the 8th. Or I use it to add some chunk to the bottom end of a chord I play on the E2.

All of this...

I'm still confused as to why people seem to think adding strings implies a completely new purpose. If you know the intervals between the strings, it shouldn't matter whether you have 6 or 600.
This is something I've wondered about too, especially when people ask about playing scales on a 7 compared to a 6 in standard...all you do is play the same thing you would for the scale on high b but now on your low b, OMG!
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #20
SS Contributor

Chiba666 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My 7 is in A Standard at the moment but Im think ing of tuning it up to C and having 2 high C strings, just to see what I can come up with. Still not sure, I would liek to try something different and see what I can come up with.

http://soundcloud.com/
bloodrust-music
Chiba666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #21
Banned

McBonez is just really niceMcBonez is just really nice
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam MJ View Post
if you don't want to get stuck chugging, don't chug, simple
Lol!

I've always said that August Burns Red could likely pull off an entire album of nothing but open chugging.
McBonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #22
Ibanez Enthusiast

trickae is just really nicetrickae is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
listen to some Tosin Abbasi, monuments etc and slow that stuff down. The best thing about these bands is there epic riffs sound just as good slow as it does fast. There's so mcuh flexibility with these instruments and stuff you can do.
trickae is offline   Reply With Quote