homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

nic0us will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Getting first seven string

Sorry if this post isn't in right section or anything like that, I'm a newbie here.

Anyways, I'm going to buy my first seven string guitar. I decided to pick up ESP-LTD H-1007 (This one: The ESP Guitar Company | 2012 USA Website).

Now I have been looking for string gauge which could handle drop A tuning. Here are some stringsets I have been looking for(Sorry those pages are in finnish, but at least you will see the gauge).

Daddario EXL110-7 - Thomann Verkkokauppa

Ernie Ball EB-2620 - Thomann Verkkokauppa

Strings.fi - Elgitarrsträngar - DR EH7-11 Custom Tite-Fit 7 String

Are these stringsets too loose for drop A? What gauges you guys are using in drop A?
nic0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Most ppl use something close to a .60 for A @ 25.5". Some go as high as like... .68 - .70? It really all depends on what tension feels best to you.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It is all personal preference - but if those 6 strings are a gauge you like, you will find the 7th string pretty loose.
The 7th string in those sets is a very bad match even for B standard, and dropping to A will worsen that a lot. This is why many people here buy 6 string sets for example 11-49 and a single gauge 66 68 or so for the low string. That does work out pretty expensive though as the thick singles cost more than half the 6 string set! I recommend checking out Circle K strings - they price very reasonably, have great matched tension and drop tension sets, reasonable shipping, plenty of multibuy discounts, and offer coupon codes fairly regularly. Fantastic brand. If you wish to pick every string yourself, this is not a problem as they price singles the same as sets which is great!
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

Thanks for fast and clear answering!

So far I have been playing Jackson DXMG Dinky (6 string) in Drop A# tuning on DR DDT-13 (13-65 gauge). I found that gauge really nice and tight on that tuning.

Circle K Strings - wow, really thick sick ass gauges right there! I just think the price might be a bit too high for me, and after shipping even more higher. So, I think I will just get a 6-stringset and add the 7st string there. I see they don't cost that much, at least on thomann. For example this:
Daddario EXL116 - Thomann Verkkokauppa

or

Daddario EXL115 - Thomann Verkkokauppa

and add this as a 7th string: Daddario NW064 - Thomann Verkkokauppa

Isn't that expensive I think I will go for that. I also thought about getting some Elixir Nanoweb-set since it's coated. A bit more expensive, but well coated would be a lot better, at least I think so.

@ EtherealEntity What strings are you personally using if I can ask that?
Unread 06-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

mortbopet is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
On my 25.5" guitar in drop A i use a D'addario set of 10-46+ a loose 64 for the A. Seems to work well for me!
mortbopet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortbopet View Post
On my 25.5" guitar in drop A i use a D'addario set of 10-46+ a loose 64 for the A. Seems to work well for me!
Okay, good to hear. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up same kind of set, just maybe a bit thicker 7th string, not sure though.
Unread 06-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Tries to be helpful

Sam MJ is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thomann are great for strings actually, especially if you buy them in bulk get 12 sets and 12 singles and that'll last you a year

im getting my first 7(621) tomorrow so that what i think i'll do
Sam MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 03:51 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam MJ View Post
Thomann are great for strings actually, especially if you buy them in bulk get 12 sets and 12 singles and that'll last you a year

im getting my first 7(621) tomorrow so that what i think i'll do
Yeah, that's right! I just thought about getting three sets of D'Addario EXL115 + three 064 gauge single string for 7th string. Just to see how that kind of set feels in my hands. If it's good, I'm going to order them for a year.