homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-16-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

Ninjahat is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advantages of drop tunings?

Hey everyone! So I'm not a drop tuning player unless I'm covering a song, but I was thinking, why do YOU love drop tunings? For the jazzy basslines, for the large chords, for DOZE POWERCHORDS! So yeah, why do you love them!
Ninjahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
sweet little lolita.

Brill is a jewel in the rough
I don't use them either, But I can see the use of just droping a riff down 2 strings and getting an Octave. And yeah, makes power chords easier as hell xD
Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

Zerox8610 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yup. Power chords.

To the almighty one, unholy bearer of horns, empower me, flow through my veins, and carry me in war.
To the unwavering, devoted to the dark, I drink these wines of majesty to you
Zerox8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

Ninjahat is a jewel in the rough
I was playing "Japam" by Botch before (they play in drop D) and they do a really sick octave displacement riff as the "chorus", so yeah that's another cool thing!
Ninjahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
Baritone Funbags

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Powerchords, freeing up other fingers to add extensions in the high end for some nice voicings.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #6
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
Powerchords, freeing up other fingers to add extensions in the high end for some nice voicings.
That's the reason I started using them back in the day. I usually play in standard tunings lately though for some reason.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
Sleep on, Fly on

GSingleton is just really niceGSingleton is just really nice
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I like the larger (range wise)/"Easier" chords options. Just sounds fuller, esp on 7 and 8 strings imo.

Music Facebook: www.facebook.com/grsingleton
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/gsingleton

Me:You could djent using a toothpick and aluminum foil.
Michael T: Aluminum + Djent = Alumidjent
Didn't Lace already do this....hmmmm
GSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:57 AM   #8
sixstringer

Bigfan is a glorious beacon of lightBigfan is a glorious beacon of lightBigfan is a glorious beacon of light
I usually drop my lowest string to allow for easier octave playing between my 1st and 3rd strings. Simple as that.
Bigfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

broj15 is just really nicebroj15 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Easier octaves between the first and third string and the ability to make some cool bar chords on a 7 string.

"It's all jagged and jaded, but it suits us. We just fake it through."
broj15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

Jason_Clement is just really niceJason_Clement is just really nice
On a 7 string it allows you to have a guitar in standard, with the drop D option. I play in half step down with the lowest string dropped to G#. This way I can play riffs and stuff from bands like protest the hero, practice normal scales and chords, and still have that "drop D" style (the simpler power chords, easier full chords, etc).
Mordecai likes this.
Jason_Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #11
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I like drop tunings for proggy-er stuff and standard for death metal.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #12
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
To me it's just closer to the sounds i want. I want power chords on the lower strings? BAM it's already tuned to it! The octaves are really easy to do as well, the chords you can get on those three strings are awesome, and it generally seems to make more sense to me, musically. It's easier to write with, it seems.
Purelojik likes this.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

clark81 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Drop tunings add volume to power chords, as they sound more bassy and thick. This is for Drop D for example, sometimes if you go lower than that you lose clarity
clark81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
Five Align

Lagtastic is just really niceLagtastic is just really nice
I stay in standard style tunings unless there is a specific song I want to play that is in a dropped tuning. Sometimes I just have to play some Andromeda riffs or a random favorite like All New Materials.

Accept the consequence of risk
Lagtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
†The Skyrim Bard†

Rustee is a glorious beacon of lightRustee is a glorious beacon of lightRustee is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Clement View Post
On a 7 string it allows you to have a guitar in standard, with the drop D option. I play in half step down with the lowest string dropped to G#. This way I can play riffs and stuff from bands like protest the hero, practice normal scales and chords, and still have that "drop D" style (the simpler power chords, easier full chords, etc).
Exactly the same as me. Including the PTH riffage.

Hello.
This is Moleman in the morning.
Good Moleman to you.
Rustee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

Semichastny has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Powerchords, stacked 5ths, more interesting triads/chords, wider intervals, extra bottom range, suits my playing style, weird chords full guitar chords high up on the neck with open strings thrown in, and having an extra note for many of the scales I like are most of the benefits I get.
Semichastny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #17
BUTTS LOL

jephjacques has much to be proud ofjephjacques has much to be proud ofjephjacques has much to be proud ofjephjacques has much to be proud ofjephjacques has much to be proud ofjephjacques has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
For me it's all the great jazzy chords you can't get with standard tuning. I'm kind of weird in that I actually learned to play guitar in drop-D (learning Hum songs) and didn't even touch standard tuning until much later (learning Opeth songs). While I'm equally comfortable with either, dropped tunings let me do things I simply couldn't do in standard, or couldn't do as easily.
jephjacques is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

TankJon666 is a jewel in the rough
I used dropped tunings almost all the time as I tend to incorporate open strings into my riffs and it allows for more economic playing and keep position changes to a minimum and you can keep a whole octave under one finger whilst freeing up the other 3 for adding extra interest to chords.

Oh yeah when I incorporating open strings into my riffs I don't mean constant chugging ...although I do that too

In drop A I will use the higher open A string as a pedal note for changing between riffs. An example of what I mean ...New Track 4.0 by TankJon on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
TankJon666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #19
Christian

Ricky Roro is on a distinguished road
If you have a 22 fret 6-string, the last fret on the high E string (or whatever you have it tuned to) makes more sense with relation to your bottom string*. So if you're doing an alternating rhythm-lead type stuff, or simply playing all over the fretboard, it might feel a little bit more connected (it does to me anyhow).

And of course there's the simple fact that changing tuning in any way will affect how you approach the instrument. It may be subtle or drastic, but you will naturally go to different notes and chords simply by where your hands want to land.

I like it also because it lets me get some of the low chording that I like, but with a slightly higher range (and again, fluidity, since I have 22 frets).

*On a seven string I guess this would be the second highest string, but the fourth above it you get from the extra string would still fit in a similar fashion for most scales, or you could bend to the fifth without too much fuss.
Ricky Roro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
SS.org Regular

wrongnote85 is a jewel in the rough
i've never been a drop d player, so when we play in that tuning with the cover band it kinda throws me off, especially for soloing. when i look at the fifth fret my brains says "that's an A", but in drop d it turns into a G. it forces me to approach the instrument differently, which is cool and challenging, but tuning that way is not something i do when writing.

The Official Traverser ReverbNation
http://www.reverbnation.com/traverserofficial

The Official Traverser Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/Traverserofficial
wrongnote85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
Ashes Of Rebirth

iRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of lightiRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of lightiRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
teh br00tz

powerchords.
iRaiseTheDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

Jason_Clement is just really niceJason_Clement is just really nice
I forgot to add that I learned to play guitar in drop C. The first band I ever learned songs from was System of a Down, off their first two records. So playing in standard is a little foreign to me.
Jason_Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

Seanthesheep is a jewel in the rough
I originally learned E standard but Ive been doing drop D for so long its just the way I think.

On my 7 string Im doing something a bit different that Im still trying to wrap my head around. Its ADADGBE. So the double drop is something new
Seanthesheep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #24
Not an IMN

Mega-Mads is a jewel in the rough
I play grindcore. I use drop tunings for faster songs. But in a brighter tuning than our standard stuff :S

We play in Drop C and std A.
Mega-Mads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #25
st. anger ain't bad!

Mprinsje is just really niceMprinsje is just really nice
it's more metal.

and as we all know, more metal is more better.
Mprinsje is offline   Reply With Quote