homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By MaxOfMetal
  • 2 Post By steve1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Leda Fanboy #2

BornToLooze is just really niceBornToLooze is just really nice
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Should I get a 7?

I wasn't really sure where to put this, so I'm gonna put it here. Despite being on a seven string forum I don't actually have a seven, but I'm gassing for one really bad despite not listening to any bands that use any, and I don't write any music, so I can't just start writing seven string stuff. I like stuff like Deluhi, the Gazette, lm.c, Metallica, Motorhead, and Rammstein. So are there any bands like that that play sevens? Or should I even bother getting a seven? Or just get one and not use the B? Or just tune it up to standard and have a high A and not use it?

Ok, so I'll stop rambling...convince me to get a 7 string even though I don't listen to any bands that use 7 and recommend me some bands that do....and no Djent....I hate Djent.
BornToLooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Melodic Mamma Jamma

JStraitiff is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What... i dont even...

You dont listen to bands who play 7 strings, you dont write music so you have no reason to get a 7 string. wtf...

These momentary thoughts are things you keep in your head. We dont need to know every time you get a bad idea lol

JStraitiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
How about you play one and then decide for yourself?

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Leda Fanboy #2

Well I played one and I liked it, but I don't know any bands that use one, that's why I was trying to find some new bands that use one so I'll have a reason to get one.
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Melodic Mamma Jamma

JStraitiff is a jewel in the rough
Not my money, not my problem :/

Dream Theater, Nevermore, Korn, Meshuggah, Trivium

JStraitiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToLooze View Post
Well I played one and I liked it, but I don't know any bands that use one, that's why I was trying to find some new bands that use one so I'll have a reason to get one.
I don't understand Why do you need a reason to get one other than wanting one?

That low B is just another string, it adds range to your instrument (and hopefully to your expression). Its no different than the other 6 strings you're already familiar with and you can adapt pretty much every chord you already know to incorporate the B.

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Baritone Funbags

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordacain View Post
I don't understand Why do you need a reason to get one other than wanting one?

That low B is just another string, it adds range to your instrument (and hopefully to your expression). Its no different than the other 6 strings you're already familiar with and you can adapt pretty much every chord you already know to incorporate the B.
This. I don't see why not knowing any bands that use one is an issue either.

At the same time asking people to convince you to get something that you have no reason for is a bit strange. But there's also no reason NOT to use one..
EtherealEntity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
Leda Fanboy #2

I just didn't want to get one then never use the B, but I didn't think about changing stuff to use the B too, thanks.
Unread 05-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
ss.org Regular

steve1 is just really nicesteve1 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have no answer to your question.

I just wanted to post to encourage you to start writing music.
AliceLG and no_dice like this.
steve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #10
\m/^_^\m/

AliceLG is just really niceAliceLG is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Even if you see no use for one right now, YES you should get one. Why?

Because as a guitarist it's a pretty good idea to have as many tools as possible to express yourself musically. Be that through a shitload of effect pedals, amps or guitars, every guitarist's basic arsenal should include a 7-stringer or a baritone, an analog delay, a couple of overdrives and a wah, even if you never use them!

Better to have and not need ...

Metal is the air I breathe

For poorly recorded melo/black/power/thrash metal click here

AliceLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
i'll drink to that

weberbs is on a distinguished road
^^^ This.

First off, try slinging a .059 in your 6'er. Get your chug on, and see if you like the range. Just because you aren't listening to guitarists that use 7's doesn't mean that you have a predisposition for the wonders below E.

The seven string is a "gateway drug" to the rest of the metal world. Even if you aren't djenting or writing tunes that utilize the 7th, that 7th in B (or wherever you decide to detune that thing) can reshape the way you look at playing. This could be good; could be bad... but I think just about everyone would would say "Do it", and find out what happens. You can always revert back to your present axe.

BTW, first post.
weberbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
Riffmiester General

BrianUV777BK is a jewel in the rough
I was thinking about getting a new Ford Mustang. I don't know anyone who has one so I'm not sure if I really need one. Should I get one?

See? That was sarcasm....

LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR BAD TONE

GIMME SHRED 'TILL I"M DEAD!!
BrianUV777BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
Nightman.

Oxidation_Shed is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Should I get a 7?
*Looks at website URL*
Well as this is ss.org, I'm assuming most people here are going to advocate sevens.

That said, just because you're not into bands that use sevens doesn't mean you shouldn't. I've got a seven build in progress that I'm planning on using with my pop punk band. Granted, I can't really think of any pop punk bands that use sevens, but that's why I want to: it will allow me a degree of creative freedom that's not been done before (very often). I obviously won't be chugging on it, but just typing this is making me salivate with the prospect of the extra chord voicings.

Self-indulgent rant aside: just because other people who play your genre of choice don't use them doesn't mean you can't
Oxidation_Shed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
Guitarded

kn1feparty is a jewel in the rough
Someone at some point used the 7 string for metal for the first time. It had never been done before, and it turned out to be a great idea. Same with jazz and folk and pop and any other type of music. Lower tonal range =/= cockchugging buttcore. At least not always.
kn1feparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
Letīs Get Wasted!

jarnozz is a glorious beacon of lightjarnozz is a glorious beacon of lightjarnozz is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToLooze View Post
Or should I even bother getting a seven? Or just get one and not use the B? Or just tune it up to standard and have a high A and not use it?
don't get one. What's the point of getting a 7 string guitar with an extra string if you won't use it get yourself a nice 6 string and try a 7.

heaven's closed, hell's sold out. So I walk on the earth.

http://jverheesen.wix.com/vejaguitars
My new website, go check it out
jarnozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

wizbit81 is a jewel in the rough
You just have to question why you want one really.

If it's the extended range just drop tune a 6'er with a fixed bridge and you're into that territory. That's what Rammstein do and you mentioned liking them. For me, the reason to have a 7 is that you need the low string range, but also the normal range for lead lines and solos to sound 'right' and to play some of the music that I personally love.

There are technical and theoretical challenges to having a 7, and unless you are prepared to commit to some proper time learning it, really don't bother.

I gassed for a 7 about 7 years ago and was lucky enough to get a 2027xvv for Ģ600 brand new when Ibanez needed to get rid of the only batch they made. I kept it for a few years and barely played it. I got rid when I went to music college after realising it wasn't for me.

Times change though and I've got a custom made 8 string now

The difference now is that I know a lot of music played on those instruments and I enjoy playing it and writing my own.
wizbit81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

somniumaeternum is just really nicesomniumaeternum is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I've had and have several guitars and have played 7s for years. For my latest band, I'm actually going back to 6 string to get a more tighter, focused sound. Guitars are a tool - use the right tool for the job. If you'll never want a job that'll utilize the 7 string, you'll probably be happier with a 6.

I'd say firstly reflect on your mindset:

If you only play guitar to cover songs you like and you don't like any bands that use extended ranges, then there's no need for you to get it. I think this is a perfectly reasonable stance, but you have to be honest about it if that's what it is. It's not "wrong" at all, just what it is. Being on an extended guitar forum though, you may not get a lot of balanced responses on this.

If you play guitar but don't necessarily care to play what other people do, then an extended range guitar is great as it increases your musical possibilities. Sometimes it just takes time to get to this point, or sometimes you never get here (and, again, neither is a "better" for you). Forcing yourself to play 7 because people tell you its "better" is not a good idea though since you'll probably never be very happy or comfortable with that . Let it happen naturally.

Lastly, when people say things like "convince me to get... " they pretty much already know the answer anyways Do what you need to do!
somniumaeternum is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
Leda Fanboy #2

Ya, I honestly meant this as more of a I want a 7 so recommend me some bands that use them, but then I started rambling
Unread 06-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

wizbit81 is a jewel in the rough
AAL for extended range stuff, although he uses an 8 lol! You simply won't find better.
wizbit81 is offline   Reply With Quote