homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Classic Lojack

DoomJazz is a glorious beacon of lightDoomJazz is a glorious beacon of lightDoomJazz is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Question for owners of BFRs and Customs

Would any of you rank your BFR 7's on par with your customs? Would you rank your customs higher? I love the feel of a Music Man 7, and it's features are totally appealing to me, but that price man... that price...

Anywho, the fate of the world (or rather my next payment) is in your hands!

As always, love you all.
DoomJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
SS Contributor

TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I have an EBMM JP6 and a custom 7... The EBMM blows my custom out of the water!

They are completely different spec'ed guitars which makes it hard to say which of the 2 is better, really. But if I had to choose 1, it'd be an easy choice.
TimSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

DavidLopezJr is just really niceDavidLopezJr is just really nice
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
EBMM are built WELL. Quality control that rivals any company and any luither. They are worth the dough if they fit what you need.
DavidLopezJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

Lirtle is a glorious beacon of lightLirtle is a glorious beacon of lightLirtle is a glorious beacon of light
Ebmm jpxi slaughtered my Ran crusher. Music man really makes a killer guitar.
Metalus and JP Universe like this.
Lirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

iloki is just really niceiloki is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I don't have a custom as of yet, but what the posters above speak is true.. the quality of the BFR JP7 is unrivaled in production instruments.. Definitely worth the price.
Metalus likes this.
iloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Lefty supremacist

Nautilus is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've played a backwards (I'm lefty) BFR and well... a lot of customs (Blackmachine/Invictuses).

Musicman do an insane job. Yes, BFRs are shithot production guitars.

Nautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Well that would depend on who made your custom.
Hollowway likes this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
EOT
I pull over 500 lbs.

EOT is a name known to allEOT is a name known to allEOT is a name known to allEOT is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Well that would depend on who made your custom.
Truth!

I had a JPX. It was a very nice guitar. Played excellent, sounded great. I just didn't really get along with it so I sold it. But if you know you like the BFR's then go for it. And not all customs are alike. Just because you get a custom with all your specs doesn't mean you'll love it. Hard to say till you get one.

In the end, the only answer is to buy both
Lirtle likes this.
EOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
Giggity

JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirtle View Post
Thank you for killing my Ran Crusher GAS!!!!

Love my JP6!
JP Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
tats+metal=life

xshreditupx is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/xshreditupx is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/xshreditupx is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/xshreditupx is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/xshreditupx is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/xshreditupx is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/xshreditupx is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomJazz View Post
Would any of you rank your BFR 7's on par with your customs? Would you rank your customs higher? I love the feel of a Music Man 7, and it's features are totally appealing to me, but that price man... that price...

Anywho, the fate of the world (or rather my next payment) is in your hands!

As always, love you all.
my custom is EXACTLY what i want. my jpx7 is exactly what i need. hope that makes seance

[Adam Of Angels] 2:44 am: What I think is awesome is that you straight up told him
you hoped he died, lmao, and he was cool with you
xshreditupx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
Yes, pancakes.

simulclass83 is just really nicesimulclass83 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
BFR's pretty much ARE the best production 7's out there. <--IMO
simulclass83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Honestly, if you want the quality, but not the price tag, pick up a non-BFR JP7. They're built just as good as the BFRs (BFRs are pricier because of exotic specs and limited runs, not because they are built better) and are priced as much as $2k less (unloaded compared to limited BFR).
Church2224 likes this.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
tats+metal=life

xshreditupx is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/xshreditupx is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/xshreditupx is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/xshreditupx is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/xshreditupx is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/xshreditupx is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/xshreditupx is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Honestly, if you want the quality, but not the price tag, pick up a non-BFR JP7. They're built just as good as the BFRs (BFRs are pricier because of exotic specs and limited runs, not because they are built better) and are priced as much as $2k less (unloaded compared to limited BFR).
man i dont agree with this statement at all, there is something special about the bfr guitars. i have owned 2 jp 7 a bfr 7 a bfr 6 with a rosewood neck and now a jpx and the bfrs have always out played the non bfrs. now let me say that the non bfrs hold their weight with every other production high end guitar i have ever had, but the bfrs blow 99 percent of the other production run guitars out of the water. i spend a lot of time with a lot of different guitars and there are very few that are factory made that can stand up to a bfr.

[Adam Of Angels] 2:44 am: What I think is awesome is that you straight up told him
you hoped he died, lmao, and he was cool with you
xshreditupx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

Lirtle is a glorious beacon of lightLirtle is a glorious beacon of lightLirtle is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Universe View Post
Thank you for killing my Ran Crusher GAS!!!!

Love my JP6!
Dude they're certainly not bad and their craftsmanship is great. I just couldn't gel with it. I tried and tried but there wasn't that instant connection like I had with the jp. Saving up for another bfr right now
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

Uncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by xshreditupx View Post
man i dont agree with this statement at all, there is something special about the bfr guitars. i have owned 2 jp 7 a bfr 7 a bfr 6 with a rosewood neck and now a jpx and the bfrs have always out played the non bfrs. now let me say that the non bfrs hold their weight with every other production high end guitar i have ever had, but the bfrs blow 99 percent of the other production run guitars out of the water. i spend a lot of time with a lot of different guitars and there are very few that are factory made that can stand up to a bfr.

He wasn't really saying that a regular model is better than or on par with a BFR, but rather that the QUALITY of the build is the same, which I would agree with. The BFR's just have different/better options. I would never chose a regular model over a BFR, but they are built in the same factory by the same people/CNC afterall.

Though, regarding price it should be noted that the JPX/JPXI/JPXII can all be had new for around $2500 (7 string) while the regular models are still $2200- I still see Mystic Dream models going for 2499 new. So it's not a steep drop-off by any means unless you're looking in the used market.
Uncreative123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

JoeyBTL is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've never played any custom guitars, but I've owned a JP6, waiting on delivery for a JP12 and played almost all the JP models and they are all fantastic guitars. With the BFRs if you just look at what you get (stainless steel frets, ebony fretboard, basswood/alder body, maple top, locking tuners, piezo, and one of the best trems) for under $2500, or even cheaper if you go in on a sale at Guitar Center and then compare that to the price of a custom guitar with all that stuff, its an incredible deal. Its not a custom guitar built for you but if all the specs, and there are a lot too choose from since there are so many models now, are good for you, its a hard deal not to pass up.
JoeyBTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #17
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Yeah I agree with Stealth. It would be a better question to say "what guitar is better than a BFR?" than to compare it to customs. It's not like you need any fancy qualifications to build a custom. And there is just as big a spread in quality if customs as in quality of production models.
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #18
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirtle View Post
What did you find better about the EBMM?
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

DraggAmps is a jewel in the rough
My JPXI-7 is on par or better than any custom I've ever owned or held. They are flawless guitars and they're also a company that's big enough to do some interesting things and make some of their own outstanding hardware (such as the bridge!) and also to have built enough guitars that they all come out basically perfect. Whereas some custom brands are at that stage where they're still learning and each guitar might be getting a little better, tweaks are being made, etc (Daemoness comes to mind, at least earlier on, although they all look pretty much flawless at this point).

You can't really get much "better" than the usual perfect BFR's (and pretty much all EBMM's), IMO, just different. And they honestly are better than most customs. You have to get into guitars like Blackmachine and maybe Mayones, Vik, etc, to get as perfect. BJR's can be as good but they have their lemons too. All of the Daemoness' I've seen built recently look about as good as well. But yeah, BFR are just as good or better as anything IMO.

EBMM BFR JPXI-7 w/ BKP Black Hawk's
Suhr Custom Modern
US Master's LeGrand Custom Legend
Axe-Fx Ultra
Matrix Q12a FRFR powered cab
etc.
DraggAmps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #20
SS.org Regular

DraggAmps is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBTL View Post
I've never played any custom guitars, but I've owned a JP6, waiting on delivery for a JP12 and played almost all the JP models and they are all fantastic guitars. With the BFRs if you just look at what you get (stainless steel frets, ebony fretboard, basswood/alder body, maple top, locking tuners, piezo, and one of the best trems) for under $2500, or even cheaper if you go in on a sale at Guitar Center and then compare that to the price of a custom guitar with all that stuff, its an incredible deal. Its not a custom guitar built for you but if all the specs, and there are a lot too choose from since there are so many models now, are good for you, its a hard deal not to pass up.
Yeah, and to get all the same features (and as beautiful + flawless of a paint job) built into a guitar that is as consistent and perfect is rare and most likely more expensive from any other company.

EBMM BFR JPXI-7 w/ BKP Black Hawk's
Suhr Custom Modern
US Master's LeGrand Custom Legend
Axe-Fx Ultra
Matrix Q12a FRFR powered cab
etc.
DraggAmps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 03:08 AM   #21
JP BFR Whore

Metalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of light
My JPXI-7 is by far one of the best guitars ive ever played. The build quality is incredible, the tone is incredible, and the feel is incredible. Its pretty much flawless. Even the painted neck is good and I'm not a fan of painted necks
Metalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #22
SS.org Regular

clark81 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My JPX - 7 is also an incredible instrument. It has its own character and I can feel a huge deference between the BFR and the previous JP6 that I had. O n the other hand, the JPX7 uses ebony for the fretboard and is hollow in some parts, the instruments is loud enough without an amp!!!
Too pity that it has to go soon, as my bandmates are limited to six strings and I can find no use for the opportunities this amazing instrument has to offer...

clark81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #23
SS.org Regular

clark81 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My JPX - 7 is also an incredible instrument. It has its own character and I can feel a huge deference between the BFR and the previous JP6 that I had. O n the other hand, the JPX7 uses ebony for the fretboard and is hollow in some parts, the instruments is loud enough without an amp!!!
Too pity that it has to go soon, as my bandmates are limited to six strings and I can find no use for the opportunities this amazing instrument has to offer...

SORRY..... DOUBLE POST.....
clark81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #24
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
What did you find better about the EBMM?
Like I said the craftsmanship was great on the ran but I just couldn't bond with it. I honestly could not point out anything wrong with the actual guitar it just felt slightly dead in my hands. I really can't explain it better than that.
Unread 05-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #25
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncreative123 View Post
He wasn't really saying that a regular model is better than or on par with a BFR, but rather that the QUALITY of the build is the same, which I would agree with. The BFR's just have different/better options. I would never chose a regular model over a BFR, but they are built in the same factory by the same people/CNC afterall.
That's exactly what I was saying. You get it.

Quote:
Though, regarding price it should be noted that the JPX/JPXI/JPXII can all be had new for around $2500 (7 string) while the regular models are still $2200- I still see Mystic Dream models going for 2499 new. So it's not a steep drop-off by any means unless you're looking in the used market.
Very true, I was more comparing an unloaded JP7 which go for ~$1700 to the JP7 BFRs (not the "X" models) which are still hitting ~$3300, and as much as $3500. When you get to the Loaded JP7s and the "X"s it's definitely a spec issue.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote