homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By USMarine75
  • 1 Post By Enselmis
  • 1 Post By maliciousteve
  • 2 Post By Ghost40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

ioana619 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Jim Root Telecaster vs Baritone Telecaster

Hi! I wanna buy a new guitar and I can't decide. I want to play in three tunings :
Drop B, Drop A#, Drop A. Please tell me what you think (:
ioana619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-21-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

spawnofthesith is just really nicespawnofthesith is just really nice
For tunings that low, I'd personally go with the baritone
spawnofthesith is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #3
ss.org Regular

implicit is on a distinguished road
it's obvious you play metal since you're using those tunings, so i would suggest the jim root tele for the emgs. added bonus it looks awesome.
the baritone tele would be great but i think you might find the neck and middle pickups are quite a hindrance under high gain, there isn't the same range of hum-cancelling replacement pups for lipstick tele pickups.
also, IMO you shouldn't be overly concerned about the scale length, i use those tunings on an sg (24.75") and it sounds tight (as ....) using extra heavy strings, which are actually really comfortable when you get used to them.
implicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:24 AM   #4
Lord Green Fingers

maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Squier Jim Root or the Fender Jim Root?
maliciousteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

Tordah has a spectacular aura about
I only say this because it's the only baritone I have, but maybe look at Steinberger's Synapse models?

Baritone with EMG's and a piezo in it. Easily tunes down to B-to-b tuning, and I have tuned it to drop G before on thick strings.

One word of advice, try playing a baritone first to see if your fingers can accommodate the extra scale length. I have particularly stubby fingers and I can only do a 1st fret power chord with my index and pinky. Likewise, how strong are your fingers? Because while you may not need super thick strings on a standard length (probably be able to get away with 12-60 or 58, you may not find barre chords particularly comfortable (or even possible initially).
Tordah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
Doc McStuffins

USMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Additional concerns IMO... what style of music do you play? The Fender Blacktop Baritone has a 9.5" radius. That radius is great for fretting bar chords and if you like your strings at a medium height. You will not be able to drop them to a low/stupid low action. Not sure what you play now, but this would be radically different from a Jackson/Ibanez/ESP shred guitar fretboard feel. I don't know too many modern day shredders outside of Satriani and Malmsteen that prefer that "round" of a board. Most want to play a flat piece of wood nowadays...

The Root Tele is a little flatter at 12". Still not like an Ibanez at 17", but you'll be able to drop the action a little bit more.

Outside of style, I prefered the Root Strat over the Tele because the Strat had my favorite which is a 12"-16" compound radius. The action was adjusted very low and it played and sounded fantastic. Probably the only "negative" is that if you are buying a Fender to get that Fender sound and feel then this is not the guitar for you. It is quite a deviation from their standard product line IMO.

With today's strings I don't see the "need" for baritone guitars IMO. Some people prefer the feel, but outside of that... I own a JEM with one of those skinny top / heavy bottom things going on and it's tuned to C. I have zero issues (and I normally use 9s). But I don't think that this should be the primary reason to buy a guitar IMO.

The other thing I would recommend... if money isnt an issue (they're around $1800), then try the G&L ASAT Deluxe... I played a few and they were some of the best guitars I have ever played.

I'm a lover… Not a fighter... But I'm also a fighter, so don’t get any ideas.
USMarine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
Sweeps and Chugs

Dawn of the Shred is just really niceDawn of the Shred is just really nice
jim root tele man. great guitar i dont like emgs but u may and u could always swap em out. it play great plays great though.

EBMM JP7-Stealth
EBMM JP7-White Pearl
Axe-Fx II
Matrix GT1000FX
Aftershock Design 2x12 Cab
Maxon 808 OD
ISP Decimater
Dawn of the Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Enselmis is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMarine75 View Post
With today's strings I don't see the "need" for baritone guitars IMO. Some people prefer the feel, but outside of that... I own a JEM with one of those skinny top / heavy bottom things going on and it's tuned to C. I have zero issues (and I normally use 9s). But I don't think that this should be the primary reason to buy a guitar IMO.

Getting a baritone for tuning to C like you do would definitely be silly, however when you get down to A and Ab it makes a much bigger difference.

Beyond that, I second the G&L recommendation as everyone I've played has been spectacular, even the import ones.
USMarine75 likes this.
Enselmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #9
ss.org Regular

what are the advantages of the jim root tele over the baritone one?
Unread 05-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #10
Not an IMN

Mega-Mads is a jewel in the rough
I know a guy who had two fender jim roots. They we're extremely poorly built and caused him alot of trouble. BUT they do look awesome.

Based on this, i would recommend you the baritone. As a bonus, baritones always do sound better in low tunings. You can always mod it with other pubs later
Mega-Mads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #11
Lord Green Fingers

maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Poorly built? That's the opposite of what I thought when I had one. I thought it was one of the most solid guitars I've had my hands on.
USMarine75 likes this.
maliciousteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #12
kvlt

7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have yet to play the Baritone tele, but I have played the Jim Root, and while it was nice...just wasn't a tele with the mahogany body and EMGs. Pickups can be changed, i'd go either Baritone or G&L, as I am obsessed with G&Ls now. They are killer guitars.
7deadlysins666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #13
Looking to windward

Greatoliver is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enselmis View Post
Getting a baritone for tuning to C like you do would definitely be silly, however when you get down to A and Ab it makes a much bigger difference.
That's true, but most 7 strings are standard scale, and tuning down to drop A isn't that unusual. I agree for stuff below Ab however.

Losing sleep at Cambridge uni
Greatoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
Not an IMN

Mega-Mads is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by maliciousteve View Post
Poorly built? That's the opposite of what I thought when I had one. I thought it was one of the most solid guitars I've had my hands on.
There are always rotten apples in a basket
The best ibanez guitars i've had were indonesian made. Just as long as you test your instrument throughly and secures that everythings OK before you buy it. Then the manufacturing country does not matter.

I hope you catch my drift
Mega-Mads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
peace

Fat-Elf is just really niceFat-Elf is just really nice
Go for the baritone. I have the JR Tele and even though Jim Root personally plays in Drop-B/A, I would get the baritone as the JR Tele tends to not keep the tuning that well with low tunings.
Fat-Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat-Elf View Post
Go for the baritone. I have the JR Tele and even though Jim Root personally plays in Drop-B/A, I would get the baritone as the JR Tele tends to not keep the tuning that well with low tunings.
What if I hold it on low turnings ONLY?
Unread 05-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #17
Truth Over Triumph

L1ght is just really niceL1ght is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I play in drop G on my 7420 and it's scale is 25.5". It sounds pretty badass with the right pickups of course, but you can do basically anything on a 25.5" scale with the right strings and pickups.

I mean look at The Safety Fire. They have 25.5" scale custom telecasters and they play some of their songs in drop A and they have some of the best tones out there in my opinion. I wouldn't really worry too much about the scale length if you are only going to be playing in drop A/B. If you start to go a lot lower, and you don't really play the higher strings as much, maybe a baritone guitar is right for you.

"if you pizza when you french fries, you're gonna have a bad time." - capoeiraesp
L1ght is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #18
Chi
Nu Metal Sucker

Chi is a jewel in the rough
Well, I've got a Fender JR Tele myself. It's a great guitar, suited for almost any musical style. Thing is, once you go any lower than A or so, things get complicated. It's just not made for that sort of tuning. Of course, you can always make a good setup and get it working in that tuning, but it's not that easy. You'll also need a pair of thick ass strings. Since you're going for Drop B, and A#, I'd say go for the Jim Root Tele, it'll work. If you want to go any lower than A though, extended range or 7 stringers.

It's one of the best guitars I own. Not a fan of EMG's myself, but they fit in there, they sound good. It's a very high quality guitar and I'd suggest it to anyone who likes a simple but efficient piece of wood.
Chi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
Dude

Ghost40 is a glorious beacon of lightGhost40 is a glorious beacon of lightGhost40 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I have a Jim Root tele, I have zero issues with the quality. Its on par with my Fender Americans. I tune all my guitars to drop B, I prefer the 25.5 scale length over the baritones. I have never had any issues with string action during set-up. I use DR 11s on everything as I like a little "play" in my strings. Typically the only thing I have to modify is the nut to accommodate the strings, and thats only on some of the guitars. My vote, goes to the JR tele.
USMarine75 and Chi like this.
Ghost40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #20
ss.org Regular

thanks for your opinions guys (: i finally got the jim root telecaster