homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Solodini
  • 1 Post By Whitechapel7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Hybrid138 is a glorious beacon of lightHybrid138 is a glorious beacon of lightHybrid138 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pick recommendations for acoustic?

I normally use JazzIII max grips but I've heard that thinner picks are the way to go for acoustic. It supposed to help tone and lower the chance of buzzing? I was thinking of these but I don't know what gauge to get...

Any other recommendations?

Dunlop Nylon Max Grip Guitar Picks - 12-Pack | GuitarCenter

Bacchanalian Bliss (My Ska band):
http://www.facebook.com/blisstx (Facebook)

http://www.sonicbids.com/epk/epk.aspx?epk_id=223821
(SonicBids)

Hybrid138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Melodic Mamma Jamma

JStraitiff is a jewel in the rough
Those would work but i actually found that switching from a standard pick shape to jazz IIIs on my acoustic brightened up the tone immensely. I assume its more to do with the pick shape changing my attack rather than the pick material but either way i would go with the jazz IIIs. Lighter picks are pretty good for strumming.

JStraitiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
the Bard

Volteau is a glorious beacon of lightVolteau is a glorious beacon of lightVolteau is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStraitiff View Post
Those would work but i actually found that switching from a standard pick shape to jazz IIIs on my acoustic brightened up the tone immensely. I assume its more to do with the pick shape changing my attack rather than the pick material but either way i would go with the jazz IIIs. Lighter picks are pretty good for strumming.
This. I use Jazz IIIs for anything arpeggiated and "technical" and thiner picks for strumming (around 60-75mm should do).
Volteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Augminished Studio

Augminished is a glorious beacon of lightAugminished is a glorious beacon of lightAugminished is a glorious beacon of light
I have been using these John Pearse Sarod Wooden Guitar Picks

I know they are a bit pricey but I love them when I do acoustic stuff. I have been using the ebony and rosewood ones. I like the ebony better but not by much. They add warmth to your tone and there is less attack which in turn makes it sound smoother. Don't know if this is the tone you are going for but I just dig the hell out of them.

Check out my Facebook: Augminished-Studio

Augminished is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I normally play acoustics with my fingers (long ass pointy nails) but I reaaaaally like using the .50 tortex sharps

Is this... guitar?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 02:39 AM   #6
MORE RESTS!

Solodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of light
I actually feel heavier picks to be more necessary for acoustic than electric, probably because you hear the pick flapping around more on acoustic. I like my big stubby picks for everything. As long as you are able to adjust your grip dynamically and not constantly pick full strength you'll be fine with them.
flint757 and texshred777 like this.

Check out my book: "Playing Guitar Musically: A Guide to Creativity on Guitar & Bass"
Buy the full book here. eBook - £5. Physical copies also available.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4063031-post14.html
PM me if you want to discuss it or just fancy a chat.

I also give lessons over Skype, Bandhappy and within the Lothians.
Solodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

flint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Depends if your riffing on the acoustic or playing chords. Chords require thinner picks IMO. If your playing it like an electric then heavier gauge would be better.

"In Djod We Trust"

flint757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 04:07 AM   #8
MORE RESTS!

Solodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of light
Even for chordy stuff, I prefer a heavier pick. You can pick more lightly with that if you loosen off and play more gently but you're limited as to how hard you can play with a lighter pick.

Check out my book: "Playing Guitar Musically: A Guide to Creativity on Guitar & Bass"
Buy the full book here. eBook - £5. Physical copies also available.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4063031-post14.html
PM me if you want to discuss it or just fancy a chat.

I also give lessons over Skype, Bandhappy and within the Lothians.
Solodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 04:11 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

flint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to behold
Aggressive with a light pick is not achievable (tonally) with a hard pick though which is how I usually play.

"In Djod We Trust"

Unread 05-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
ss.org Regular

Whitechapel7 can only hope to improve
eh, not for me, some people say that the lighter the pick, the more finesse you have. i highly disagree because to me, light picks are floppy as hell and just all around bad news for me personally. maybe try something over .75mm, or finger picking. hope it helps, i apologize if it doesnt
Solodini likes this.

Mean People Suck
Whitechapel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

Yeah picks are pretty personal...I've noticed it is easier to go light to heavy than it is the other way too because heave gauge picks change how most people play.

"In Djod We Trust"

Unread 05-08-2012, 04:38 AM   #12
Theory God

Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have an asston of picks in my pants pocket at any given time, with all sorts of sizes, shapes, and gauges, and I don't really have a preference for any of the guitars I play. I just go with what feels right at the moment. Just keep in mind that lighter picks will have a lighter attack and a more luminous quality, more at home with legato, whereas heavier picks will be louder and more direct, much easier to play staccato.

That said, 1.5mm is where I find the greatest amount of versatility based on my personal style.

Skype theory lessons. PM me.
Mr. Big Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #13
Hector Jirau

Holicx is a jewel in the rough
You should try wood picks, they are a lil bit hard to find , but the sound it emits when you hit those strings is brightly amazing. Still they are a bit expensive compared to other picks.

Download my free EP here:
holicx.bandcamp.com

You can find my music and covers here:
www.facebook.com/mifumetal
www.youtube.com/mifumetal
Holicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
ss.org Regular

7thstringofa7thstring will become famous soon enough
Why not go to a guitar shop and buy a few picks and try them out and see what works for you,

like some others have said picks are a really personal thing (like any bit of guitar equipment) some prefer thin, fat and others prefer metal picks.
7thstringofa7thstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

BornToLooze is just really niceBornToLooze is just really nice
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I use these with my acoustic and they sound really good
Dunlop Johnny Cash Memphis Pick Tin with 6 Picks | GuitarCenter
BornToLooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

Hybrid138 is a glorious beacon of lightHybrid138 is a glorious beacon of lightHybrid138 is a glorious beacon of light
I use jazz III picks right now and there is nothing wrong but I do understand the attack argument. Having heavy pick hand technique from metal playing can cause buzzing and different timbre. That's why I was thinking a thinner pick, like some of you have said, would help me keep my approach (within reason) and not affect timbre. I'll look into some of the picks you guys recommended. I think the .75 area looks like a good starting point. I'm not too fond of floppiness

Bacchanalian Bliss (My Ska band):
http://www.facebook.com/blisstx (Facebook)

http://www.sonicbids.com/epk/epk.aspx?epk_id=223821
(SonicBids)

Hybrid138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #17
Army Without A Flag

All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.
Metal picks sound really great on acoustics.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_¥our_Bass is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

I say buy one of everything in the store and make a decision.

"In Djod We Trust"