homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vinnychinny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

Vinnychinny is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying my first 7 string

Hi guys, this is my first post and thread.

I've been playing for about 4 years and own an Ibanez + Jackson (and I've become quite an Ibanez person) so I think I'm ready to start looking into my first 7 string. I've done a little research before and it seems like the RG7321 was the popular entry 7, which I tried in the store and didn't really like it so then I looked into other guitars.

I've heard that Agile were pretty good but I don't know too much about them and I don't know where I can try them out (if I can that is) but to me they look like Schecter guitars. From looking at their specs on the site they seem pretty cool and I might lean towards that (plus not all their 7 strings are black!). So I thought I'd ask for your opinions and expertise on which of the models are worth its money (Septor, Interceptor, Septor Elite, etc.) I'd also be happy with other suggestions too.

My budget ranges up to $800.

Thanks!
Vinnychinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Giggity

JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Used Ibanez 7620 (trem) or 7621 (no trem) with upgraded pickups. Blows the 7321 and Agiles away
JP Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, if you'd care to use the search function (in the top right corner of the main toolbar) you can see what has been written about this in the past. It's a common question.

The RG7321 is a pretty basic instrument. Because of the binding there are often harsh fret ends which make playing them uncomfortable. Again because of the binding, it's more difficult to level them without marking the binding.

However, once the pickups are replaced with aftermarket models suited to your specific needs, the 7321 can be a good solid guitar. If you can find a 2nd hand one, perhaps with suitable upgrades, for the right price, they can help a player decide if it's worth investing in a more expensive 7 string instrument.

The 7620 (floyd) and 7621 (hard tail) are much better instruments, as is the 1527 Prestige, but are more expensive.

Tuning a 6 string B E A D F# B with heavy strings (60 - 12 for rythmn playing or 9-52 for lead) might help you decide if you can make use of the tuning. The benefit of the 7 is you can play in these lower tunings without losing your high E string, and the expressiveness of your lead playing, in my opinion.

Try as many instruments as you can before choosing one!

Good luck!

Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

Oh wow, I'm embarrassed I didn't notice that.

Anyway, so I looked into those models you were talking about and I found a couple of deals on ebay and craigslist.

Between the 1527 and the 7620, which would you say is the better of the two? I found a 1527 w/ EMGs for $600 and a 7620 for $600 w/stock pups(Although I might be able to get it for cheaper).
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'd say the 7620...

They're both great guitars but those EMG routes mean you either have to go active or spend some $$$ changing pups and disguising the routes.

Plus you might be able to get that 7620 talked down some. I bought y last 7620 for $300. Mine was a little beat up, but it was highly playable nonetheless...

Konfyouzd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfyouzd View Post
I'd say the 7620...

They're both great guitars but those EMG routes mean you either have to go active or spend some $$$ changing pups and disguising the routes.

Plus you might be able to get that 7620 talked down some. I bought y last 7620 for $300. Mine was a little beat up, but it was highly playable nonetheless...
I had a feeling the 7620 would be the better option (EMGs...*shiver*). I actually just messaged the guy about it and asked for $500 because I just found a similar deal for that price and it wasn't a local seller. Hopefully I'll be able to get it for that much and when I do I'll post up pictures

Thanks for helping guys!
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
It's not the maple boarded 1527 is it? Bc if so, I'd take some EMGs if the routes are clean.

Unread 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

Ibanez Prestige RG1527 J Craft Electric Guitar 7 String | eBay

It's this one. Not sure if that's maple boarded.
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Dread-I Master

Ehh... .... that one...

What condition is the 7620 in? Similar to the 1527's condition?

Unread 05-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

Ibanez RG7620 7 string f/s

The guy says "few dings and nicks". Looks fine from the picture :/
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Dread-I Master

It's the silver one...

DO IT.

But see if he'll send pics of the frets/hardware as you obviously don't want those to be heavily worn/oxidized/etc.

Unread 05-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

Haha still waiting for his initial response to my offer first. I feel guilty for getting another silver/grey guitar since my jackson and ibanez are also grey.

Can one ever have too much grey ?
Konfyouzd likes this.
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
Dread-I Master

Well I think that particular one is sometimes harder to find in good condition. Plus you can always refinish them later down the road.