homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By JStraitiff
  • 2 Post By ChronicConsumer
  • 1 Post By SeanW
  • 4 Post By engage757
  • 2 Post By leonardo7
  • 2 Post By yellowv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

e7lek is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mayonave toes vs JP BFR

Hi guys, so in 3 days im going to have to make my mind up with either a Mayones Regius custom with Crunchlab liquifire, swamp ash body, ebony fretboard and piezo's or a JP BFR. The only thing that will be missing between the two is a tremelo system on the Mayones. Rarely use it on my loomis sig anyway...

Im almost done with putting in the custom order for the Mayones, all i have to do now is transfer the deposit and they are going to start the production.

Just thought i would have a last opinion from the greatest bunch of guitar enthusiasts in the world with people like Misha and MaxOfMetal here seeing that im basically basing this mayones on the petrucci sound.

what are YOUR experiences with any of these two great guitars?

Cheers guys, if i do go for the mayones i will upload the build progress here
e7lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-08-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

Can someone fix the title to Mayones Regius please?

dont know how it got out like that x)
Unread 04-08-2012, 03:36 AM   #3
Melodic Mamma Jamma

JStraitiff is a jewel in the rough
uh, go with the mayones.. Im not even sure why you're second guessing yourself.
Solodini likes this.

JStraitiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 03:38 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

why would you say that? is the mayo superior to the JP in your eyes?
Unread 04-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

ChronicConsumer is a jewel in the rough
I'd go for the Regius. Simply love the design, really like the larger scale and overall just has so much more character than a EBMM. Just my humble opinion.
Solodini and e7lek like this.
ChronicConsumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
ss.org Regular

SeanW is a jewel in the rough
Having owned both of them (still own Regius 6) I would definitely go with the Mayones, they are fantastic guitars and im sure you won't be disappointed.

Are you buying the Regius direct from Mayones? I'm pretty sure GuitarGuitar are the UK dealers for them now.
Solodini likes this.
SeanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanW View Post
Having owned both of them (still own Regius 6) I would definitely go with the Mayones, they are fantastic guitars and im sure you won't be disappointed.

Are you buying the Regius direct from Mayones? I'm pretty sure GuitarGuitar are the UK dealers for them now.
yes mate its going to be directly from mayones sent directly to my home country - Bahrain... just finishing up the semester here then heading for 4 months break back home

Its so re assuring how everyone is siding with mayones
Unread 04-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
Banned

engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
They are VERY different instruments. I have owned several of each, and still do own a CS Regius 6. I mean apples to oranges man. One is basswood, one is swamp ash. One is neck-thru, one is bolt-on. one has a trem and the other doesn't. The necks feel very different. The scale length is close, depending on the options from Mayones.

Also, keep in mind, that a lot of what you will read is someone's opinion, and quite a bit of the time, the person has never touched one or both of the guitars. Example, I met a kid the other day at a local show who was telling me the best guitar ever made was a Blackmachine and the best pickups made were BKPs. As I continued to talk with him, I learned the only guitars he had ever had were a Schecter Damian, and Loomis 7, had never touched anything else outside of a Guitar Center, and could not name one model of BKPs. Good thing they are so awesome.

Just something to keep in mind. A lot of people on this site have played these instruments, at least one or the other, some have played or own both. In the end, you have to make your own decision, but base it off of knowledge from people who have experience with the instruments, and your own knowledge of them/what you need the axe to do.

That BEING said.

A mayones is going to be a very unique, custom, rare, hand-built instrument. The EBMM is one of thousands. They are both great guitars, but the Mayones is going to just have an appeal that will get you every time you take it out. It feels like (maybe because it will be) that it is made specifically for you, and that feeling my friend, is a good one.
engage757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #9

leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Regius!

And why not get a trem on the Regius since you want one? They offer OFR as well as Kahler.
leonardo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

_MonSTeR_ will become famous soon enough
I don't own either of these guitars but have played several Mayones now and a couple ofthe EBMMs and I would say that the Mayones have been some of the least "special" allegedly high end guitars I've played and to be honest I don't understand the internet hype behind them.

The EBMM BFRs I think are great instruments and whilst the bodies on these guitars are extremely comfortable, I really prefer the range of colours that historically have been available on the regular line of EBMM JPs.

engage757 states that the feeling of the Mayones is of a guitar specifically made for you. This may be so, but to me they've never felt like they were made by a company I'd want making a guitar specifically for me

I'd go with the Petrucci.
_MonSTeR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #11

leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
engage757 and e7lek like this.
leonardo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
Turd Ferguson

yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
I thinl we all know what I prefer, but its all about what you want. Can't go wrong either way with those choices.
Bigfan and engage757 like this.
yellowv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
Banned

engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 32 reviews

Mayo is ALWAYS dellicious.
engage757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo7 View Post
Regius!

And why not get a trem on the Regius since you want one? They offer OFR as well as Kahler.
ahh sorry i forgot to mention my loomis has ofr and its too much of a pain to tune. thats why i wanted tremelo similar to the JP