homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
wants a diff name!

Djentliman is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Talking Which 8 string should i get

I have no idea which 8 string guitar I should get and the fact that My local music store doesn't have any seven's let alone eight's is a complete ball buster. I currently own an ltd h-207 and the neck is just the right thickness. I don't want ibanez or agile but I'm considering anything from schecter to mayoness. My biggest thing is the neck...big and meaty= no no. For extra info, I have small bitch hands but i can stretch like a no one else. (Anybody know about when Jackson will have their 8 ready to go?)

What if feels like to see an amazing guitar:

Also, here's my soundcloud if you wanna go on an adventure!
https://soundcloud.com/keegan-mcd
Djentliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

RGA8 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Carvin.com : DC800 EIGHT STRING EXTENDED SCALE GUITAR

Save up and get this. Everybody that's played mine looks at me and says " wow, I'm surprised how easy this guitar is to play, it's effortless." That statement has come from beginners all the way up to advanced guitarists with music degrees and custom jazz 7 string hollow bodies. The Carvin DC800 is awesome. If you get a solid color with simple woods you'll probably pay right around 1,000 to 1,100. I'd save up the extra 200 to 300 and get a guitar you'll want to keep and play for a life time.
nostealbucket likes this.
RGA8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Banned

Wings of Obsidian is a jewel in the rough
The Carvin is a guitar that you'll want to keep a life-time.

The Schecters and LTDs are cheap throw-aways that you will probably sell a year (or less or more) from now.

The Ibanez's are the favorite pick of alot of the players on here - but if you get like the RGA8, you'd have to swap out the pups in it. If you get the RG2228, you probably aren't going to be able to afford it. (In my personal opinion, the RG2228 is way overpriced for what it really is. It has a great sound and scale, but I think Ibanez could justify the price with a few more features and more finish options.) Besides neither one is really worth buying right now at this moment because Ibanez has a ton of new stuff incoming and tons of new ideas for the future that they keep putting out.

I wish that PRS made 7's and 8's available on the production line. (Private stock is so ridiculously expensive.)

Strictly 7 makes some very good guitars, but they aren't everyone's cup o' tea. I've heard good and bad, but judging from what I've seen, I'll stick with the "good" because Strictly 7 really makes some awesome instruments.

Agiles are a good option if you are super tight on money. They offer alot of options, but the company is rather "hit or miss" (I'm sure others on here will attest to it). One thing, I've noticed that's funny is that everyone is now selling their Agiles to fund a Carvin guitar. (That must tell you alot).

I believe Carvin is the best option out of all of them because you get the guitar made just the way you want it and the price is pretty fair. Alot of options too. Carvin has always made quality instruments (RGA8 above had a VERY nice Carvin DC800 made recently), and like I said, you'll probably want to keep it for a life-time. (But Carvins are NOT for the poor and impecunious.)
RGA8 likes this.
Wings of Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

Wings of Obsidian:

Well put!

You can tell by my screen name that I like Ibanez and my RGA8 was a nice ax for a starter 8. I guess it depends on how serious you are about playing. If its a hobby, buy an RGA8 or a low end Schecter, if you are serious save up and buy a Carvin.
Unread 02-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
wants a diff name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGA8 View Post
Wings of Obsidian:

Well put!

You can tell by my screen name that I like Ibanez and my RGA8 was a nice ax for a starter 8. I guess it depends on how serious you are about playing. If its a hobby, buy an RGA8 or a low end Schecter, if you are serious save up and buy a Carvin.
I'm very serious about playing but I wish Carvin would have pictures of some different options other than black and quilted red. I have My eye on one of the Schecter C-8 blackjack atx's ...I dont want to buy a thousand dollar guitar without hearing or seeing or ultimately playing it.

Unread 02-20-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djentliman View Post
I'm very serious about playing but I wish Carvin would have pictures of some different options other than black and quilted red. I have My eye on one of the Schecter C-8 blackjack atx's ...I dont want to buy a thousand dollar guitar without hearing or seeing or ultimately playing it.
Google DC800 guitar and you'll see a bunch of different finishes and options. And remember, unless you do an option 50 you'll be able to return it if you don't like it, so there isn't much downside there. Same rule applies to Agiles.
Hollowway is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
wants a diff name!

My big thing about ibanez is that a lot of their guitars LOOK like cheap starter guitars with the dot inlays and that wacky headstock and 80's logo. There are some that i like but they're all the neck through versions like the art/lespauls. Sorry if I stepped on anybodys toes.

Unread 02-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Here take a quick look at my Carvin DC800

Carvin DC800 (Claro Walnut Top)
Unread 02-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Banned

Wings of Obsidian is a jewel in the rough
^^^ Some folks got sound clips and videos of the new DC800s. Just search around here in the "Extended Range" section.

I'm surprised at how good the Carvin pickups in the DC800 are. When I had my first Carvin, I swapped out the pickups (passives) for Dimarzios (I think it was a Tone Zone and a Air Norton? Or maybe a PAF Classic?). Anyway....back on topic....these Carvin stock active pickups have great articulation and sound considering that they are Carvin's first attempt at creating their own signature active pickups. (Beats the EMG's that come in the Ibanez RG2228 - however, they don't have as much raw, focused power and output as the SD Blackouts that come in a Schecter Blackjack C-8).

I'm more of a fan of passives, but that is just because I'm a BIG Dimarzio fan and I grew up playing with an X2N (which according to stats still remains as the hottest, highest-output pickup on the market, even though it is passive.) Some BareKnuckle pickups are definitely giving Dimarzio a run for their money. I think it would be pretty experimental/inventive for someone to slap an 8-string BK set into a Carvin DC800 and see how it sounds.

It's all up to you man. Whether you like Carvin or not, or haven't even heard of them, they are currently offering the best deal and the best bang-for-the-buck. CUSTOM SHOP, HELLO?!?!

But I'm sure that there will be something better from another company down the road in a few months because the manufacturers have to keep the competition tight int he market. So we'll see...
Wings of Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
wants a diff name!

Quote:
Here take a quick look at my Carvin DC800

Carvin DC800 (Claro Walnut Top)
I want a carvin now...that is the most beautiful guitar that ive ever seen and it looks like it plays like a dream...could you share a detailed list of the specs please? I want to be able to put My own twist on it!
RGA8 likes this.

Unread 02-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

Thanks bro!

Here's the run down:

Ash Body
1pc Maple Neck
Ebony Fret-board
Figured Claro Walnut Top
Matching Head Stock
Black Hardware
Stainless Steel Frets

Carvin DC800 Neck Dimensions:

Radius = 20"
Neck Width at Nut = 2.15"
Neck Width at 24th fret = 3.03"
Thickness at 1st fret = .79"
Thickness at 12th fret = .88"

Ibanez RG2228 Neck Dimensions:

Radius = 16.929"
Neck Width at Nut = 2.135"
Neck Width at 24th fret = 3.07"
Thickness at 1st fret = .787"
Thickness at 12th fret = .846"

The Carvin neck is a little wider and a little flatter. I LOVE the neck on the Carvin but to be fair I must admit I've never played an RG2228.
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
ESP Fanboy

bradthelegend is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
My biggest thing is the neck...big and meaty= no no.
Then you don't want a Schecter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings of Obsidian View Post
The Schecters and LTDs are cheap throw-aways that you will probably sell a year (or less or more) from now.
I disagree. LTD's are incredibly nice guitars if you pick the right model. If you buy the cheapest model, you probably won't be happy with it, but that goes for every brand.

Rhythm in jump, dancing close to you.
bradthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

oh, by the way; my Carvin was 1,300 and some change all said and done.
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
ss.org Regular

siddha is on a distinguished road
I seem to remember buying my RG2228 for only about $1200, but that was 4 years ago. If you can find it at that price I'd say it's worth it.
siddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
wants a diff name!

Quote:
oh, by the way; my Carvin was 1,300 and some change all said and done.
What kind of strings do you use because I use DR but they don't make an 8 set. I really want something i can dig into without my pick slipping every where.

Unread 02-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

They put Elixir 10-46 58 68 on the guitar. I think they feel great for F# standard. If you drop E I'd go with a 72. What you'll have to do is buy a six or seven set and add the single strings you need to finish the set
Unread 02-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #17
wants a diff name!

Quote:
They put Elixir 10-46 58 68 on the guitar. I think they feel great for F# standard. If you drop E I'd go with a 72. What you'll have to do is buy a six or seven set and add the single strings you need to finish the set
One last question...what are your pod farm settings, that tone you have on your demo is absolutely amazing

Unread 02-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

Check out my sound-cloud page and listen to the two newest songs to get a better idea of what the Carvin sounds like. When I get near my gear I'll hit you back with some settings.

Beniah's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Unread 02-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #19
wants a diff name!

Quote:
Check out my sound-cloud page and listen to the two newest songs to get a better idea of what the Carvin sounds like. When I get near my gear I'll hit you back with some settings.

Beniah's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Alright thanks for all you help!

Unread 02-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #20
Behold the ONI!

noizfx is just really nicenoizfx is just really nice
If I didn't have a few guitars that I'm gonna buy lined up, I would get the Carvin DC800 too!
RGA8 likes this.

Oni Hannya
ESP Katana 7
ESP JH-2
DAR FBM-100H
Line6 DT50
noizfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #21
SS.org Regular

Okay here we go;

I won't be giving you my EXACT tone settings for several reasons. One being the fact that I like having my own amp sound to myself. So I'm going to have to be selfish in that regard. Reason number 2, and I think this is WAY more important than the first reason, I don't want to cripple you. Here's what I mean; If I tell you, to the T, what my settings are you may get hung up on MY settings and you may not explore your own ideas. I've been there and done that and I don't want you to go down the same road. It stinks. A lot of things are a factor when it comes to tone and I'll name a few. What kind of pickups are installed in your guitar, i.e. passive or active, are they HOT or are they tame, do your pickups have a balanced eq range or do they scoop the mids, or do they boost the mids, is the low end tight, etc... Also what size strings you use could become a factor, how you pick could become a factor and so on. Now, with all that being said I will proceed with a good STARTING point for a tone like mine. I highly recommend that you tweak it further so that you can make your own unique tone that fits YOUR gear and be proud about it. You dig?

The chain;

Noise gate, Tube Screamer, Eq, Line 6 Treadplate, Compressor

Noise gate settings:

The threshold is all up to you. Just don't choke your tone to death.

Tube Screamer Settings:

I have my gain cranked and my drive all the way down. The tone you should adjust to taste.

EQ Settings:

Roll the low end off between 70Hz to 100Hz to make the guitar clear and to make room for the bass. A lot of this has to do with your tuning and your string size. You may need less low end, you may need more low end.

I would cut a little (1.5db to 3db) around 300Hz to keep things crisp. This my not be necessary for you. Trust your ear.

Slight boost at 1.5kHz for some bite (1.5db to 3.5db)

Roll the highs off at 9.3kHz to make room for the overheads on the drums and to keep your tone from being shrill.

Treadplate Settings:

Drive set at about 10 o'clock - bass set between 8 and 9 o'clock - mids set at about 11 o'clock (I may go higher soon) - treble set at between 2 and 3 o'clock - presence also set between 2 and 3 o'clock

Compressor Settings:

Set the threshold right at the point you just barely notice the compressor start pulling down the sound. Make sure it's super subtle because you could choke the life out of your tone. What I go for here is kind of a peak controlling type of deal to help the tone sound more even.

Make sure you experiment with some of your own ideas and don't treat this like your new tone bible. I by no means have this stuff licked and I'm still learning too. Have fun.

Unread 02-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #22
wants a diff name!

Thank you...I was having trouble finding a djent tone and now I know the basis to use on My 5150. Thanks for the tips for finding My own tone...and your production skills are beastly by the way.

Unread 02-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #23
SS.org Regular

Thanks man! Let me know if you want some advice on recording. I'd more than happy to fill you in.
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #24
Banned

Eric Christian is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I have no idea which 8 string guitar I should get and the fact that My local music store doesn't have any seven's let alone eight's is a complete ball buster. I currently own an ltd h-207 and the neck is just the right thickness. I don't want ibanez or agile but I'm considering anything from schecter to mayoness. My biggest thing is the neck...big and meaty= no no. For extra info, I have small bitch hands but i can stretch like a no one else. (Anybody know about when Jackson will have their 8 ready to go?)
I wouldn't dismiss the Scheter Omen8 right away. The neck isn't that bad. Its only $400 or even less with a coupon and it might be a good starter that you can upgrade with pickups.

Sounds like you're comfortable with the LTD brand. They make some nice 8 String guitars. The Ibanez models are my personal choice because the necks are so thin and flat but honestly I would roll that LTD STEF-B8 for sure. Whatever you do order it from Guitar Center because you can return it for a full refund or exchange within 30 days plus they always got some 15% coupons going around.

The ESP Guitar Company | 2012 USA Website

Also, this website can give you an idea of whats out there on the market. I guess they're pretty good to order from but the guy never called me back like he was supposed to.

Product Categories
Eric Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #25
SS.org Regular

I didn't realize the Omen 8 was only 400. That's a pretty good deal.