homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

ProgShredder73 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
56k jokes?

I'm kind of a noob to this hread and i dont understand 56k jokes at all. explain? sorry for the ignorance haha.
ProgShredder73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Because of old Dial Up speed.

Usually a 56K joke means lots of pics. So go make a cuppa and come back in 10min.

Make a rule where, who ever messes up gets punched in the face.

That is how I run my solo project. - Floppystrings

O GREAT now your gonna tell me theres no Great Shred Doughnut,who delivers strings and picks to all the good shredders on yngwies birthday... - mr_rainmaker

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search word!
CYBERSYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Kids these days. Why back in my day we had to hang up the land line to use the internet! That's right, we had LAND LINES! Phones that just stayed in the house.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

JesseTheMachine is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I remember getting a 56k modem and I was astounded with the new found speed with which I could surf the "web"
JesseTheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

myampslouder is a glorious beacon of lightmyampslouder is a glorious beacon of lightmyampslouder is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I remember getting a 56k modem and being totally pissed that my ISP could only do about 32k
myampslouder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #6
Blast & Sweep

Thep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I remember the trying to predict and sing to the connection sound (the fax machine sounds), going on the AOL chat rooms to talk about how much I like animals, and patiently waiting for the Nickelodeon website to load just because I wanted to draw the characters from Rugrats.

Now I use the intarwebz to check the stock market and observe attractive specimens of the feminine gender perform acts of coition.

I also remember how the mail box would get filled with AOL disks in fancy packaging.
Thep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #7
Melodeth-er

oremus91 is a jewel in the rough
I think other responses may have been confusing so..

56k is short for 56 kilobits of data per second. This is the speed of a "typical" modem for accessing dial up internet. The joke is that with a 56k connection that you wouldn't want to even try to open that thread because of the vast amount of pictures (or just a few in reality) would bog down the connection forever. Now most of us have at least DSL if not cable broadband internet boasting speeds up to 10mbps or more (or so our service provider claims, it is usually much less in reality). It's probably safe to ignore those warnings and see them as most of us do; silliness.
ProgShredder73 likes this.
oremus91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:58 AM   #8
Giddyup.

Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.
Oh the days when it took an hour to download a song from iTunes.

I realise that wasn't really all that long ago, I still had dialup in 2005. Still, it was torture.

M E M O I R S
Music from myself and Kurkkuviipale!
http://soundcloud.com/m-e-m-o-i-r-s

I also do graphic design, both freelance and for label Myriad Records.
Prydogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #9
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i don't miss dial up, that can stay in the 90's and die there, now we just need to standardize a fast connection type and get past cable in north america
LeviathanKiller likes this.

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Sepultorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 01:37 AM   #10
Divine Paradøx

Sephael is just really niceSephael is just really nice
some of us remember when 14.4 was touted as high speed
AK DRAGON and drgordonfreeman like this.
Sephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

ProgShredder73 is a jewel in the rough
thanks for the responses guys, i understand now
ProgShredder73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
Guitar Popcicle

AK DRAGON is just really niceAK DRAGON is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Who remembers 2400 baud modems? MUDS?
AK DRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Kids these days. Why back in my day we had to hang up the land line to use the internet! That's right, we had LAND LINES! Phones that just stayed in the house.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

My phone still just stays in the house (that's right, no damned cell phone).

But yes, kids these days = rage. I never want to hear anyone who asks what a 56k joke say their internet is slow
drgordonfreeman likes this.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #14
Pardon my french

Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
The speed at which I can download at home now was what we had 10 years ago at a telecom operator newtork room for web hosting...
We downloaded movies at 1Mb/s and we felt like gods. Home back the was 256K standard connexions. (Didn't have internet before that, too expensive)
Andromalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 03:36 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

rjnix_0329 will become famous soon enough
This is sort of turning into an "in my day" thread, but the OP had his question answered so...When I was in Middle School (about 11-12 years old) I ran a small bootleg operation at my school, selling burned copies of CDs and movie VCDs (this was before DVDs were readily available!), and I remember waking up every hour at night to check the progress of albums and movies I was downloading. It would take 2-3 nights at least to download the Matrix or whatever was in hot demand. Ahhh glory days!
rjnix_0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 03:07 AM   #16
Banned

ZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thep View Post
I also remember how the mail box would get filled with AOL disks in fancy packaging.
Back in 2001, WHILE switching from dial-up to cable, my dad and I got all of our AOL discs and threw them up in the air to shoot them. We even let the cable installer shoot several of them.
asher likes this.
ZEBOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #17
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
I'm with you on that one.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #18
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
Is 17 old enough for an observable generation gap?
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #19
Mostly Harmless

ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.
I remember buying my first hard drive. They dropped to the phenomenally low price of $526 for a 20 MB. I couldn't imagine ever filling the whole things up.

Ray
Edika likes this.

The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar?
ElRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #20
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Three letters... AOL.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #21
..to pay the beels

skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I remember back before the world was owned by robots ...
skeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #22
SS Contributor

Zonk Knuckle is a jewel in the rough
I remember what it's like using dial-up right now because no service has been offered here other than satellite which is way too overpriced.
K3V1N SHR3DZ likes this.
Zonk Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #23
Sleep on, Fly on

GSingleton is just really niceGSingleton is just really nice
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Lucky I never had dial up. First internet I got was dsl, we were always too poor for a computer.

Music Facebook: www.facebook.com/grsingleton
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/gsingleton

Me:You could djent using a toothpick and aluminum foil.
Michael T: Aluminum + Djent = Alumidjent
Didn't Lace already do this....hmmmm
GSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #24
Count Blastula

FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I had a 56k modem with maximum 21.6k speed. Good ol' times
FrancescoFiligoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #25
Death Metal™

cwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of lightcwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of lightcwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
I still do.

haha jk... yeah Max i remeber those days....sadly

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12
Randall Diavlo 5 watt

cwhitey2 is offline   Reply With Quote