homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kamikaze7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

dead_scott is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CAPS LOCK, TURN IT OFF

Hey, guys, I'm new here and I'm thinking of getting my first 7 stringer. I did'nt know whether to ask this on the string tension section. Anyway (given that it is hard to get Agile here in europe), I've narrowed it down to 2 models:

SCHECTER DIAMOND C-7 BLACKJACK ATX AWS and ESP LTD SC-607B.

The tuning I'm planning to use is the following: GBF#BEG#C#(drop B with an extra G). Now, I would love to hear the experiences of the owners of these 2 models (even better if someone owns both).

Playability on metal riffs (impious-meshuggah) and leads is important.

Also what gauges do you guys think that I should use??? Taking into account both models' scales. I was thinking on:

70 or 72 for G
59 B
42 or 46 F#
32 B
22 E
13 G#
10 or 11 C#
I would love to get some insights on the gauges as well.

お願いします!
dead_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Banned

Kamikaze7 is just really niceKamikaze7 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I can kinda help shine some light on the subject. I don't own either of the 2 guitars your considering, but I can help as far as string guages though...

I currently have one of my 7's tuned down C-C w/ a low G. For the string guages I'm using (on a 25 1/2" scale...), I'm using a 13-66 (13-17-26-36-46-56-66) and the tension and playability are fine. On another, I have a C#-C# w/ a low G# and I'm using an 11-64 (11-15-22P-30-42-54-64) for that one. On either guitar, they are not too loose, thin and flubby, yet not too thick and tight that you can't bend with either - a nice happy medium. I'm sure you could use the same string guages as this on either of the 2 baritones your looking at with great success as well.

I'd say for your case, try the Beefy Slinky set (11-54) with a 66 for the low G and you should be good. This will keep the guages even throughout, as well as tension be comfortable playability-wise, yet plenty stable for that tuning.

Good luck and hope this helps!
Iamasingularity likes this.
Kamikaze7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 05:43 AM   #3
7string Ghost

Iamasingularity is a jewel in the rough
Your gauges are so uneven! If you put such a thick string you wont be able to bend, let along get decent tone out of it, it might even make it harder for you to pick it and play. Whats with the lowest string being so off than the other strings? If you want to use strings that are so thick on your 7, you should consider picking up a bass lol.
Iamasingularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

Heyy, thanx a lot, kamikaze7! Sorry for being so late in my reply. Yeah, I think I'll go for the 11-54s and the 66 like you said. Tuning is very similar to yours: C#-C#- only dropped and the extra G (or F#-still not sure-gonna need to play on it). Maybe just a little thinner because of the scale. However, it sounds like a great starting point.

The guys at schecter told me there'd be no problem with the gauges and tuning I wrote above. In my 6 string I use one of those daddario 7 string packs-11-59 I think it is-, and just throw away the 1st string. I love the tone, but then again, it's too hard to pull out some bends.

P.S. Where do you get your 66s or 64s, Kamikaze7? I was thinking daddario...
Unread 12-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
ss.org Regular

こいつ!. Haha, no, just kidding. Anyway you're right, The neck can get twisted I think
Unread 12-17-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
7string Ghost

I think Ernie Ball`s slinky series have them. I bought a 8 string slinky set, and ditched the thickest, put on the rest.

Grand Moff Tim: "Sometimes when you want some ass, you have to eat some fake lashes. That's just life man.

Red Seas Fire: "When it doubt, downpick everything."
Unread 12-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

Yeahh, i was thinking on getting those. Would ditch the 10, though, hihihi. Anyway, do you think that the LTD mh 417 might handle those tunings?
Unread 12-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Funny user title

uncle_sprinter will become famous soon enough
Shit dude i just have 9-56 and it woks fine for me. You could probably play anything with a set of 10's and a 60-64 on the bottom. I can play like 2 steps down w/o issue, so 10's should be able to handle anything else. 11's and 12's are just crazy!
uncle_sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
7string Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_scott View Post
Yeahh, i was thinking on getting those. Would ditch the 10, though, hihihi. Anyway, do you think that the LTD mh 417 might handle those tunings?
I`d say that it probably can handle them, but unless you have a good grip the big gauged strings will slip from your fingers while trying to pull off or bend. Also striking the strings and picking in general will become much harder and heavier to do. As much as I love thick gauges I really can`t recommend the pack I`m using unless you understand my point here. Ditching the 10 would be a mistake, the highest gauge should be dropped. If your ready to get a bass feel on your 7string then I suppose you could, but I hope your not thinking fat gauges=heavy playing/great tone. I think you should go for the heaviest 7 string slinky, not the 8.

Grand Moff Tim: "Sometimes when you want some ass, you have to eat some fake lashes. That's just life man.

Unread 12-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
ss.org Regular

On my 6 stringer I use BF#BEG#C# (drop B). I tried several gauges and marks before I found the right ones, which turned out to be the 10-59s (daddario-ditched the 10). It was a complete change of tone. Before it was just good, but when I put the 59s it was like a different guitar, completely aggressive, which is what I wanted. I'm sure that's why I want to get really thick gauges, and also because I got used to them (mostly the 6 th and 7th string). I was a little scared because they were very tight, but in the end I got used. Anyway, I think Kamikaze's suggestion is a great starting point. Then I'll see if I go a bit thicker only for the 6th and 7th (B and F#).

Also, I had another question (that still has to do with string gauges). As you know, I haven't bought my 1st 7 stringer yet, and I made my mind for the MH 417. However I saw a good offer (I hope): Ibanez RG7420 with EMG 707s (500 euros). Now my question regards the heavy gauges I want to use, will they fit the Lo TRS 7bridge? That is my main reason for not choosing floating bridges in the first place. I guess they do fit the MH417 bridge, right? The thickest gauge I would think of using would be 70 for F#.

Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg da_prod_EXL110-7_main_2.jpg (35.6 KB, 5 views)
Unread 12-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
ss.org Regular

Something that also made me want to try heavy gauges is the fact that I read (like 11 years ago) an interview with slipknot and one with in flames. Slipknot used 11 59s for drop B, while In flames used 13-64 for C-C. I remember they said bending was not that easy...
Unread 12-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #12
7string Ghost

Cool story.

Unread 01-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

Thnx! (hoping it's not sarcasm) Anyway, I decided to use this set (since I am fond of daddarios):EXL117 Nickel Wound, Medium Top/Extra-Heavy Bottom, 11-56 .It says they're made for 6 stringers tuned a step down, so maybe it could work a step and a half down, plus the 68 for the 7th string (guessing it would compensate for a flapiness that would derive from tuning the strings 1/2 a step lower than they're made for). Summarizing:

7-68-F#
6-56-B (would like to try a 59 instead of this)
5-44-F#
4-32-B
3-19-E
2-14-G#
1-11-C#

Also, I made up my mind for a 2003 RG1527 without pickups (will buy a set of cold sweats), hoping that the bridge will handle those gauges, do you guys think it will withstand it? Cheers, happy new year btw
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #14
7string Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_scott View Post
Thnx! (hoping it's not sarcasm) Anyway, I decided to use this set (since I am fond of daddarios):EXL117 Nickel Wound, Medium Top/Extra-Heavy Bottom, 11-56 .It says they're made for 6 stringers tuned a step down, so maybe it could work a step and a half down, plus the 68 for the 7th string (guessing it would compensate for a flapiness that would derive from tuning the strings 1/2 a step lower than they're made for). Summarizing:

7-68-F#
6-56-B (would like to try a 59 instead of this)
5-44-F#
4-32-B
3-19-E
2-14-G#
1-11-C#

Also, I made up my mind for a 2003 RG1527 without pickups (will buy a set of cold sweats), hoping that the bridge will handle those gauges, do you guys think it will withstand it? Cheers, happy new year btw
Lol, I was serious and I think I got banned for posting that. Anyways yes my neighbour said that for the heavier gauges you should unwind the string a little, exposing the core thread. It will then be easy for the bridge to handle. You might also want to tighten the bridge, or else it will pop out. Happy belated New Year.

Unread 01-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #15
Bonitis.

Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamasingularity View Post
You might also want to tighten the bridge, or else it will pop out. Happy belated New Year.
There is absolutely no reason the bridge should pop out period. Not even with those (not terribly heavy) gauge strings and especially not in that tuning. If you mean it will raise up/tilt forward fixing that is just standard trem maintenance adding a spring or two and tightening the spring claw until it sits level after the strings are stretched out and tuned will fix it.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Necris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
ss.org Regular

Thanks a lot for all the tips and info! Now I have an idea of what to do when I complete my guitar I bought a 2003 rg1527 without any electronics at all. Was cheap enough, though. I'll write another thread (if I don't find one) on the parts needed, etc. because I don't know anything about wiring and stuff. Starting from zero