homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By shredguitar7690
  • 1 Post By MaxOfMetal
  • 3 Post By Randy
  • 1 Post By Stealthdjentstic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

AlgidInferno is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Generic "Which 8-string under $1000?" thread...

Hey. Newbie here. Sorry if this is in the wrong section...

Anyway, I've been really interested in 8 string guitars. There don't seem to be too many affordable ones (at least for a broke-ass college kid), but of the ones out there, does anyone have a recommendation?

The only mandatory specs are a 27" scale and fixed bridge. I play a 27" 7 string, it feels great and I really don't think I could live with anything longer. Oh, and I'd like to keep it under $1000 USD. Preferably less, like maybe half that much if possible.

The Schecter C-8 has caught my eye, but I've heard that they "suck"...? I'm also familiar with Agile, my 7 is made by them, but I'm really drawn to their Intrepid models, which only seem to come in 25" and 28". I'd assume 25" would make the low string too "flubby", and 28" would inhibit playing on the higher strings. I break my high e often enough on my 27" 7 string, I can't see how 28 would make that any better.

Honestly I'd love to just grab one of these* and be done with it, but my OCD isn't cool with that extra inch, at least not right now. Does it make that much of a difference? If it isn't noticeable, I might go with it...
*(Agile Intrepid 828 MN Ocean Burst at RondoMusic.com)

Another OCD thing... it seems that Agile offers either a bolt-on with a no-name bridge, or a neck-through with a Hipshot. I hear a lot of conflicting opinions regarding neck style, but that hipshot bridge sure sounds favorable.
I like the "clean" look of a bolt-on neck though, no big awkward slab of wood going through the middle of the body XD Some say it's tonally better that way anyway.

Well... whatever. sorry for the wall-of-text. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
AlgidInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-11-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
NEED MORE STRINGS!!

shredguitar7690 is a jewel in the rough
Snag a custom Intrepid while they are still available. It's totally worth it and there are sooo many options. You could go 27-25.5 or 28.625-27 fan even if you wanted to.
Konfyouzd likes this.

Check out my Alien Green Gary Kramer Guitars Prototype 7 string in action!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5GPe...feature=relmfu

And then check out my Tribal Purple Agile 92730!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrM5-w1RxDc

"If you open your mind for me, you won't rely on open eyes to see" - Silent Lucidity by Queensryche
shredguitar7690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 02:15 AM   #3
ss.org Regular

JoeJohn777 is on a distinguished road
I can't really speak for the Agiles and the 28" scale since I don't own one but I have the Schecter Hellraiser C8 and I absolutely love it. The quality of the guitar is really great and it plays amazingly. I feel like I get good tension with a .080 dropped to E on the 8th but I know some people would find that too loose. The high end strings feel perfect to me with the 26.5 scale length but it really all comes down to personal preference. Somebody else might hate what I love.
JoeJohn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #4
Great Job, Jeremy.

aWoodenShip is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You could always get a semi custom Agile if the bolt on really bothers you. It'll run closer to $1000, but you'll get what you want at least. It's also worth noting that if you're upset with the lack of a hipshot, I don't believe that any of their models come with hipshots anymore.

Have you ruled out the RGA 8? It's bolt on, 27", fixed bridge, and you can probably find one used on the cheap to make up for the fact that you'll want to change out it's shite stock pickups.

Last edited by aWoodenShip; 11-11-2011 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Sorry, read that you like the bolt on. Custom shop's out then.
aWoodenShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Banned

Jessy can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredguitar7690 View Post
You could go 27-25.5 or 28.625-27 fan even if you wanted to.
Too small a fan and scale length for my taste. 27-30" recommended!
Jessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
For under $1000 you're not going to find better than Agile, at least from the ones I've owned and played.
MGasparotto likes this.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
Classy
Super Moderator

Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Schecter Guitar Research Hellraiser Special C-8 Electric Guitar and more Solid Body Electric Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

I don't mind the EMGs but if you do, there's enough cash leftover from your $1000 for whatever tickles your fancy. Price+features = win

Whoever told you the "C8s suck" was smoking crack. They're damn good.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLCİ
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
Disciple of Djod

Vostre Roy is a name known to allVostre Roy is a name known to allVostre Roy is a name known to allVostre Roy is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Schecter Guitar Research Hellraiser Special C-8 Electric Guitar and more Solid Body Electric Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

I don't mind the EMGs but if you do, there's enough cash leftover from your $1000 for whatever tickles your fancy. Price+features = win

Whoever told you the "C8s suck" was smoking crack. They're damn good.
I second this. The Hellraiser Special is exactly the same as the regular Hellraiser, beside the neck being made of maple instead of the 3pcs Mahogany and the bridge. And they are solid.

"Solid-state - A component that has been specifically designed to make a guitar amplifier sound bad. Compared to tubes, these devices can have a very long lifespan, which guarantees that your amplifier will retain it's thin, lifeless, and buzzy sound for a long time to come."

ABSURD APOSTLE OF DJOD
Vostre Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
ss.org Regular

Wrathos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
For under $1000 you're not going to find better than Agile, at least from the ones I've owned and played.
Carvin 8 string
Base model on sale for 999.99 right now. Even limited custom shop options are available for no additional charge. 27" scale and fixed bridge. Definitely would blow an Agile away in my opinion. Although I could be talking out of my ass, considering I haven't gotten mine yet haha.
Wrathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
NEED MORE STRINGS!!

shredguitar7690 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
Too small a fan and scale length for my taste. 27-30" recommended!
Yes 27-30 is a sweet fan. I'm getting a 27-30 9 string but for 8 strings, I wouldn't feel like it is necessary to go to 30 inches. It's all personal preference though. I just think the agile custom shop is cool. There are sooooo many options.

Check out my Alien Green Gary Kramer Guitars Prototype 7 string in action!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5GPe...feature=relmfu

And then check out my Tribal Purple Agile 92730!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrM5-w1RxDc

"If you open your mind for me, you won't rely on open eyes to see" - Silent Lucidity by Queensryche
shredguitar7690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathos View Post
Carvin 8 string
Base model on sale for 999.99 right now. Even limited custom shop options are available for no additional charge. 27" scale and fixed bridge. Definitely would blow an Agile away in my opinion. Although I could be talking out of my ass, considering I haven't gotten mine yet haha.
A Carvin 8, even with no options, will cost more than $1000 shipped. Trust me, I've had a "few" Carvins.

The Carvin will most definitely destroy the Agile, there's no question there, just good luck getting a DC800 for under $1k.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

broj15 is just really nicebroj15 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I recently played the c8 blackjack atx at a guitar center and with the proper string gauge it sounded pretty good. The sd blackouts are voiced pretty evenly across all the strings and when the amp is dialed in right there is a fair amount of articulation. Even though the scale length was only 26.5 i think that with an .080 for the f# the tension would be good even down to drop E. The neck was wide and sort of flat (flatter than a typical schecter neck) and the heel was very comfortable due to the set neck. The only thing i didn't like was the bolt inlay at the 12th fret but other than that it was a solid guitar with cool features for the price.
broj15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 03:01 AM   #13
ss.org Regular

Wrathos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
A Carvin 8, even with no options, will cost more than $1000 shipped. Trust me, I've had a "few" Carvins.

The Carvin will most definitely destroy the Agile, there's no question there, just good luck getting a DC800 for under $1k.
If you're talking about shipped price yea it will be slightly above 1k.. About $26 higher heh. If Carvin would let you pick the guitar up from the factory it would technically be under 1k but I doubt that would happen. Anyway yea, you got me Max it's above 1k but $1026 seemed close enough
Wrathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 03:30 AM   #14
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Carvin carvin carvin carvin carvin
Konfyouzd likes this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
Sleep on, Fly on

GSingleton is just really niceGSingleton is just really nice
ibanez rga8?

Music Facebook: www.facebook.com/grsingleton
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/gsingleton

Me:You could djent using a toothpick and aluminum foil.
Michael T: Aluminum + Djent = Alumidjent
Didn't Lace already do this....hmmmm
GSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 12:53 AM   #16
ss.org Regular

book_of_lies777 will become famous soon enough
Schecter Guitar Research Damien Elite 8-String Electric Guitar

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

my original music (stoner-doom):
http://www.reverbnation.com/officialgoeticcircle
http://www.facebook.com/GoeticCircle

my music/gear blog:
"Diamonds and Rust"
(music, videos, guitar gear, opinions, etc.)
http://www.tony93666.blogspot.com/
book_of_lies777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #17
Breaker of G strings

MGasparotto is on a distinguished road
Get the one your looking at. I got a 828 intrepid and love it. I found the 28" scale pretty easy to get used to and I switched to it from a 25" 6 string. If you don't live in the united states and something goes wrong with the shipping of the agile your pretty much f*cked though =\
MGasparotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #18
Loves his Q-tuners

Cheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My pendulum 7 string is the tits, I would recommend waiting for a pendulum 8 string to come back in stock myself.

Also note people WILL recommend things they haven't played.
Cheesebuiscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #19
Doc McStuffins

USMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

$899... Schecter C8 ATX (in Walnut, Black, or White)
USMarine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #20
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
I know his name sucks, but you should listen to Stealth...

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #21
Tranquil insurgent

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's a limited-time option for you: Oakland Axe Factory BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL!!

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
consist of tones only, dismantled of words.
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is offline   Reply With Quote