homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By eaeolian

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

mike_oxbig can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP ME LEARN HOW TO USE MY CAPS LOCK KEY?!!?!

Hi folks.

I would like to own a high quality guitar, but i'm not too keen on spending a couple grand just to have the word "gibson" on it. (I will if necessary but i'm sure there are more cost effective ways to get the same results, am i right?)

I have been told that "tokai", a japanese company that mainly does rip offs make good quality clones. And wouldn't you know it, on my local kijiji classifieds I have found a "love rock" les paul copy for only 350$.

My main concern is that I've only been playing for about 2 years, so my guitar knowledge is basically hear-say, having only owned and about 10 guitars myself, and mostly of brands like epiphone washburn and ibanez. (that might seem like a lot for a rookie but most of them were either traded or sold shortly after purchase....i fall out of love quickly)

Now this tokai is a newer model, which i've been told are not as good as the lawsuit era tokais. It has a bolt on neck, which to me suggests a lower quality base instrument which might not be as worthy of upgrades (is this true/false?)

My current daily players are an Epi LP Custom, and a Dean Cadillac Select. The Epi is my guitar of choice, but I like the look and feel of the dean over the epi, it just doesn't sound quite as nice.

Brazillaburst Dean, Black Epiphone, Blue Tokai

So Here's my question to you:

Assume money is not an issue (ironic considering i don't want to just buy a gibson, i know) Which of the three guitars i've just mentioned would you most likely upgrade? How would you upgrade it? Would you recommend a different guitar to upgrade? I'm not against selling what I have to make room for something new, So if you have a brand of choice that you would throw some new pickups in and declare it as good as a gibson by all means i'm all ears.

Thanks for your time and rock on.
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-30-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

jackblack is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well I can't comment on the guitars themselves but in terms of a modding platform, I would generally take playability over sound (to an extent, obviously), because pickups an the like can easily be swapped, but finding a guitar that feels right can be difficult

IMO of course
Unread 10-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
DjentyGoodness

thatguy87 is just really nicethatguy87 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Epi > Dean lol. I'm a superstrat person myself, but if I were to get an LP it would have to be a Gibson. otherwise, I would get a PRS, which is certainly not cheaper. That being said, most Dean's are absolute garbage, out of those three I would pick the Epi. I am also an Ibanez fanboy (because I like thin necks) so I would recommend you check them and also LTD out, just don't get anything MIC. they're shite.
Unread 10-30-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

Well in all honesty I like the feel of the dean more than the epiphone, But i'm not sure if it's worth investing as much as the guitar is worth on it. I think I have the media subliminally telling me that the epi is part gibson and therefor of better quality than the dean, but every now and then i wonder if i've just been brainwashed by corporate marketing.

Basically I would like to take a 500$ guitar and make it sound like a 1500$ guitar. I'm very open minded as to what i start out with in terms of brands, and i've never played a les paul style guitar that didn't feel comfortable, so that's the style i would like to use.

2007 PRS SE

400$

Good start? it reminds me of this picture which kinda makes me happy in my pants...

...and then i scroll to the bottom of the ad where it says "STICKERS" on the frets can be easily removed

god damn i hate people on kijiji
Unread 10-30-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
plays in 69/42

Thrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud of
how about throwing a set of gidson pickups in your dean? im thinking a 490r 498t combo would sound pretty killer

...Each guitarist has an evil fat 40 year old blueswankler trying to get out, If you give in to temptation you'll be sitting next to a fender playing john lee hooker while trying to keep your combover in place.

-Desecrated

being black and enjoying watermelon, i think this thread needs more watermelon.
budda
Unread 10-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
$4000 USA Fenders have bolt-on necks

What's your budget?

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
Unread 10-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Go To Bed Jessica is a jewel in the rough
I would suggest totally disregarding what is written on the headstock and upgrading the guitar that feels best to play and makes you want to play the most. I also suggest assessing the sound of the guitars unplugged to see which sounds "best" to you. If it sounds like crap acoustically, then you might be wasting time and money upgrading pickups etc.

Tokai guitars have a pretty solid reputation, although for $350, that would be one of the lower end models (which is not to say that it isn't a good guitar). If you have the cash, I'd probably get the Tokai and just flip it if it isn't to your liking.

Blanket statements like "MIC guitars are shite" are IMO unhelpful. Good and bad guitars are produced everywhere and at all price points. You might have to play more cheap guitars to find a good one, but if you look you will find one.

As for the whole bolt-on / set neck thing, I don't think either one is an indication of quality or lack thereof. As long as it is well made, it doesn't matter. The advantage of a bolt-on neck is that you can swap it out for another one if you want to or if there is a problem with it.
Unread 10-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
H. Maddas

Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Go on ebay, look for used Ibanezes.

RG550
RG570
RG770
RG750
RG565
RGA121

And some other ones I forget.
Unread 10-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
Swyse

Swyse is a glorious beacon of lightSwyse is a glorious beacon of lightSwyse is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Why not just buy a gibson faded? You can find the SGs for 400 and the LPs for around 500 without much of a problem.

i prefer the reverse stranger where I sit on my dick till it's numb, so it feels like I'm jerking a stranger off - theo in chat
Unread 10-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
I say go for the PRS. It's an SE, but still amazing quality. Try before you buy, though.
Unread 10-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
ss.org Regular

LOL wow i was looking for this thread and didn't realize some smartass mod changed the title on me.

i know how to use caps lock, TYVM, i was using my top secret way of making my thread stand out a little.

just don't tell anyone about my top secret button or everyone will start doing it.
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #12
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'm going to use my top secret mod powers to give you a week off.

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
ss.org Regular

mesaman000 is on a distinguished road
nice guitars
Closed Thread