homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
The President Bits

Robby the Robot is a glorious beacon of lightRobby the Robot is a glorious beacon of lightRobby the Robot is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dunlop Strings: Overhyped?

It seems with every artists Dunlop TV has interviewed recently, more artists have been switching to Dunlop Strings and have given great reviews about them. Personally, I don't think they're worth the hype they get. Maybe I had two bad sets of strings, but I had a set of 11's on my ARX that lasted two weeks before a string broke, while the set of 10's on my RG lasted about four days. I do take into account that I do gig at least once a week, but I've used other strings that have last a bit longer that the Dunlops. Are these guys are on to something?

tl;dr: Dunlop Strings: Overhyped or not?

Praise and worship is a gig too!
Floyd Rose Master Race

Gear:
1999 Schecter A-7+
2005 Schecter 007 Elite
2014 Agile Septor 827
POD HD 500
Alto TS112A
Robby the Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 134 reviews
I used to use them but their singles aren't so readily available otherwise I'd still be using them. They sounded great and had good tension.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Schmuck

rythmic_pulses is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I only use dunlop picks because I use Jazz III's, I tried their strings once, I didn't like them, they sounded 'brittle' to me if you know what I mean?

I use Ernie Ball Regular 7 string slinky's cause they are readily available to me, they last longer too.
themightyjaymoe likes this.

Problem Trolls?

Sex bro. Sex. -ntDars

Stop hatin'. Love and Toleration. - Biison

the higgs boson is the energy that creates mass to create
protons and tacos basically. - bob123

SOL NIGER WITHIN!!! - Iamasingularity

ODDWORLD FOR LIFE!
rythmic_pulses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
Banned

ibanezRG1527 can only hope to improve
theyre good. dont love them though.

but 100% useable without question.

im currently on a D'Addario fix so id get them over Dunlop though
ibanezRG1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
The President Bits

Robby the Robot is a glorious beacon of lightRobby the Robot is a glorious beacon of lightRobby the Robot is a glorious beacon of light
Maybe I did have bad sets of strings then. I might give them another try, but I'm stuck on having a wound 3rd string.

Floyd Rose Master Race

Gear:
1999 Schecter A-7+
2005 Schecter 007 Elite
2014 Agile Septor 827
POD HD 500
Alto TS112A
Unread 10-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Trem Snob

CapinCripes is a jewel in the rough
I personally think they are a bit over hyped. when i used to use them i found that they were a bit brittle and easier to break than Ernie Balls and i didn't really like the feel. that being said to each his own.
CapinCripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
came and went

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTheodoppalus View Post
Maybe I did have bad sets of strings then. I might give them another try, but I'm stuck on having a wound 3rd string.
Thats the main reason I just order strings in bulk individual gauges.

I don't like the huge gauge sets, and most sets in the 50-54 range have plain 3rd strings. Also many brands either don't make, or at least don't include the 20w or 22w in any of their packaged sets. GHS has always sounded fine to me, and they stock almost every possible gauge except maybe some of the super-sizes.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

NosralTserrof is on a distinguished road
I used the Heavy Core once on my Agile.

I actually like them much better than the Ernie Balls I usually use.

The only reason why I don't have some on right now is because I was in a tough spot and couldn't get those
NosralTserrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
The President Bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRENCHLORD View Post
Thats the main reason I just order strings in bulk individual gauges.

I don't like the huge gauge sets, and most sets in the 50-54 range have plain 3rd strings. Also many brands either don't make, or at least don't include the 20w or 22w in any of their packaged sets. GHS has always sounded fine to me, and they stock almost every possible gauge except maybe some of the super-sizes.
Thus why I'm using the 10-49 Jazz Light gauge from D'Addario. I posted on something about the single string sets being more available to the public and whoever owns the page basically said that the single strings should be available at your local music store, which I haven't found to be true for the stores in my area. (I would get the exact quote, but Facebook is acting up at the moment.)

I'm considering buying a set of 8s from the Rev. Willy set and their regular set of 11s. Good or bad idea?

Floyd Rose Master Race

Gear:
1999 Schecter A-7+
2005 Schecter 007 Elite
2014 Agile Septor 827
POD HD 500
Alto TS112A
Unread 10-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Honestly, when your band is big enough to be appearing on ads by Dunlop changing strings probably isn't your biggest concern.

That being said, the Dunlop strings I tried were alright. Nothing special. If I didn't have a few cases of D'Addario EXL120 7s, I'd probably be more adventurous though.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
POSTING ON INTERNET

Miek is just really niceMiek is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Just found out they make a 10-60 set, that might be pretty good for me, as long as they stand up in quality next to DR, D'addario, Dean Markley, &c. I guess I'll post in here after I get 'em
Miek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 12:16 AM   #12
SS.org Regular

potatohead is a name known to allpotatohead is a name known to allpotatohead is a name known to allpotatohead is a name known to all
I like the regular ones but I don't like the Heavy Cores. I usually use EB but Dunlops are second choice.
potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.
I tried the Heavy Core's once. Sounded like several-month-old D'addario strings, IMO.
HeHasTheJazzHands is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #14
Pardon my french

Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I have a ZW set on my LP and I like it. It's not exactly bridge cable tension but then you're supposed to vibrato-pinch squeal all day with those. The non wound are quite loose.
Andromalia is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #15
ss.org Regular

jdecaire is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromalia View Post
I have a ZW set on my LP and I like it. It's not exactly bridge cable tension but then you're supposed to vibrato-pinch squeal all day with those. The non wound are quite loose.
Same here, I haven't had a problem with dunlop strings but I just like the ZW gauging for my LP (10-60), I used to buy the ZW GHS strings and they still make a 10-60 but it's easier to find the Dunlop ZW's so thats why I still buy them.
jdecaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #16
ss.org Regular

book_of_lies777 will become famous soon enough
never tried Dunlop strings. I've been using GHS strings for 6 years or so... haven't broken A SINGLE STRING in that whole time, so I see no reason for switching.

I currently have the 10-52 set on all my guitars, tuned from C to E standard(I don't have my 7 yet).

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

my original music (stoner-doom):
http://www.reverbnation.com/officialgoeticcircle
http://www.facebook.com/GoeticCircle

my music/gear blog:
"Diamonds and Rust"
(music, videos, guitar gear, opinions, etc.)
http://www.tony93666.blogspot.com/
book_of_lies777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

myampslouder is a glorious beacon of lightmyampslouder is a glorious beacon of lightmyampslouder is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I tried them a few times. I tried the 12-54 set back when I used drop c alot. They were ok but they kinda sounded worn right out the pack. The didn't have the typical bright new string sound and they got dull sounding fairly quickly.they weren't bad but not my first choice at all
HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
myampslouder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #18
surrounded by chairs

groph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud of
I don't think I've ever used Dunlop strings but I'm terribly curious to try out a set of Heavy Cores.

I'm into D'Addario. They just feel really crisp. I can't stand coated Elixir strings and Ernie Balls just feel cheap for some reason, kind of plastic-like? I doubt I could tell the difference in a blind test, though, and I've also heard that guitar strings are often wound in the same factory so there may be little to no difference between different brands. Or is that just a conspiracy? No idea.

I'm sure Dunlops are just as good or better than the competitors and it will come down to personal taste. Strings aren't expensive and you change them often anyway, unless you're me, who has had the same set of greasy 11-52's on his Jackson since before the summer started...

EDIT: A bit off topic but for some reason I really liked that first video. Genuine, non-pretentious, and very to-the-point. It was kind of like a Jack Daniels ad, but for strings. I think I might try out a set of Dunlops next.
groph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #19
cylon

thraxil is a glorious beacon of lightthraxil is a glorious beacon of lightthraxil is a glorious beacon of light
Bands big enough to be interviewed on Dunlop TV are changing their strings on all their guitars every night. At that point, what matters is that they sound/feel OK and can last for a single show without breaking. Most of the rest of us change our strings every few weeks at best so longevity becomes a lot more important. My hands seem to make strings rust quickly, so Elixirs seem to be the only ones that don't turn to complete crud in a week. If I were changing my strings every night though, I wouldn't bother with expensive coated strings; I'd go with whoever was willing to give me a bunch of free strings.
thraxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

Ibanezsam4 is a glorious beacon of lightIbanezsam4 is a glorious beacon of lightIbanezsam4 is a glorious beacon of light
honestly string sound doesn't make a huge difference to me simply cause all electric set sound dead to me. it comes from only playing acoustic for the first few years of my guitar life. so after that, any non-acoustic set sounds dead. no exceptions. so im a feel guy, and current;y i like a nice loose feel without the gauges being too light. right now dunlop and D'addario deliver that.

what i like about Dunlop is they maintain that nice bend-y tension at heavier gauges

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sam-Wr...22806487780403 <--- photo page, click it, and maybe like????
The horror that was that video made my bowels explode in an inhuman fashion that scared me, my dog, and the bird in the tree outside my room window-Insackclothandashes
Ibanezsam4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #21
Tube & Analog Snob

TomPerverteau is just really niceTomPerverteau is just really nice
I bought a 12-pack of Heavy Core .054s for my low B. I like the increased tension.

"I don't think I have ever seen a guitar with an input jack."
TomPerverteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #22
"Asian Persuasion"

stevo1 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I've tried dunlop's a few times. IMO they were pretty low quality. They sounded rather dead, And besides DR, theyre the only strings that I've ever broken.
stevo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #23
surrounded by chairs

groph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerverteau View Post
I bought a 12-pack of Heavy Core .054s for my low B. I like the increased tension.
Think I could get away with something like a set of 11's or even 10's in the Heavy Cores for C standard tuning? 25.5" scale, I don't like super super tension and I kind of prefer lighter strings for the tonal qualities.
groph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #24
String Theorist

AcousticMinja is just really niceAcousticMinja is just really nice
Just tried a set of the heavy core .011-50's in D standard...and...I like the feel of them quite a bit. They are a little on the high side tension-wise, but I definitely do like the feel of them a bit better than Ernie Ball. The strings themselves I just put on and they do have a pretty good break in time. They are rather punchy though...but I like it.
Another cool thing is how they feel out of the package. They are extremely fresh and sound newer than most strings I've used thus far. Besides Elixirs. Time will tell if these are the ones for me (at least for my non weird tunings). But so far, I give them a solid 8/10. I recommend trying them at least once as they are relatively cheap. I got myself 2 packs. One of the .012-.054 and .011-.050.
I was recommended by a friend to try these, as he is an avid user of both their guitar strings and their bass strings.
AcousticMinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #25
Tube & Analog Snob

TomPerverteau is just really niceTomPerverteau is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by groph View Post
Think I could get away with something like a set of 11's or even 10's in the Heavy Cores for C standard tuning? 25.5" scale, I don't like super super tension and I kind of prefer lighter strings for the tonal qualities.
I could not tell you because I use an SIT .009-.042 set + a .054 and standard tuning. I tried the Heavy Core for the low B and noticed more tension than the other brands, so I bought a bunch of Heavy Core .054s.

I still like my SITs for the rest because I've been using them forever, always liked them, my guitars are set up for them, and I'm too stubborn to change!

"I don't think I have ever seen a guitar with an input jack."
TomPerverteau is offline   Reply With Quote