homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-27-2011, 04:00 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

Devon8822 is headed in the right direction.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Whats with all the reverse headstocks?

I have noticed that the majority of modern guitars especially customs, are being made with reverse headstocks and I dont get the reasoning behind it. I find it annoying as %^& to tune. Maybe there is some rational behind it that I am missing?
Devon8822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-27-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
Norwegian metalhead

Seventary is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looks cool.
MikeH, AxeHappy and MGasparotto like this.

Check out my band: www.profaniametal.net
Seventary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
Plays Fusion.

Syriel is a jewel in the rough
It looks cool.

Also, I've heard something like the the reverse inline headstocks usually have a tad little more tension on the bass side because of the longer length of the headstock. Not sure about this one tho, as I think it's bull because it's still the same scale.

Did I say it looks cool?
Syriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 04:28 AM   #4
the "BFF"

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
My tuning is always done at the bridge, so I love'm.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 05:21 AM   #5
Cogito, ergo bardus.

Quitty is just really niceQuitty is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I actually find it more comfortable.
First off, when standing you'd have better access to the tuners that way, with less awkward grip angles.
Second, when setting up or restringing i hold the guitar upright, facing me -
meaning that with a reverse headstock i can wind the tuners with my right hand, not my left.
FYP666, Edika and astm like this.

"I WANT TO .... A UNICORN IN THE ASS WITH IT AND IMPREGNATE IT WITH MY METAL SEED!" ~FretWizard88

...But dignity is difficult to maintain,
stamina requires constant upkeep,
repetition is boring
and you pay for grace.
Quitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 05:22 AM   #6
GHETTO KING OF SWAG

The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It's ....ing metal, man.

If you're going to 'like' my posts, give me some rep instead.

"
i just laughed at my own reflection, not sure if ugly or drunk" -Murmel

The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #7
Ormsby nutter

capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Are the majority of modern guitars and customs made with reverse headstocks?
Just wondering what you're basing your question off of OP.
capoeiraesp is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 06:08 AM   #8
Rivethead Magnate.

Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Because the people who get customs made with reverse headstocks prefer reverse headstocks over traditional ones.

You do not, and thus would not purchase a factory or custom guitar with a reverse headstock.

Redundant thread is redundant.
Daemoniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #9
Lefty Derp

AwakenNoMore is a jewel in the rough
It looks ....ing better that's what the deal is.
here's an example:

Schecter A-7 and Avenger, reverse headstock just looks better on some guitars for sure. Also works on Ibanez, ESP, Jackson etc. Even Strats look cooler with reverse headstocks.
Born4metal85 and AxeHappy like this.
AwakenNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:04 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

endo is a jewel in the rough
My logic tells me it's for better tension on the bass side. Don't quote me, but the way I see it is, if someone is getting a larger scale guitar, it's to get a better and tighter sound on the bass strings. To me, it's the same idea behind a fanned fret guitar. The bass side is longer and the treble side is shorter. I know you're searching for an actual answer to "why", but I think you're going to get only opinions, unless a well experienced luthier chimes in.

Go play two different types and see if you can notice a difference!
Born4metal85 likes this.
endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #11
Lefty Derp

AwakenNoMore is a jewel in the rough
^ dunno about that, have guitars with all different headstocks, never really noticed anything different tension wise.
AwakenNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #12
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
I know that there is a thread from a while ago(I think from before I was a member) where someone explained that a reverse headstock doesn't increase tension on the bass strings in the fretboard area, that's all dependent on the scale length. I believe he did say that a longer distance between the nut and tuners makes it FEEL tighter, though, but there aren't any more pounds of tension on the main length of string.

Another thing about reverse headstocks is that, because there is a longer distance between the nut and tuners on the bass strings, there are more harmonics from those lower strings as they have more room to vibrate over the headstock. It also reduces the amount of harmonics on the treble strings compared to a standard inline headstock. You may think it doesn't make a difference, but if you compare the sounds of the strings with and without the harmonics it's pretty noticeable(try this by putting a scrunchie or foam behind the nut to dampen them), especially when tapping or using heavy distortion a la djent. That's why you'll see many NGDs where there's foam behind the nut or a scrunchie, it makes the sound "better" for metal by reducing the number of unnecessary harmonics that can muddy up distortion or tapping.

Like others have already said, aesthetics also play a big part, a reverse headstock simply "looks more metal" than a standard inline or 3-3/3-4/4-3/4-4 headstock in most peoples eyes. Sometimes it just fits the guitar better as well, such as a reverse headstock on BRJ Jekyll. They just go well with each other, just like an arrow headstock looks better on a V.

Also, like Quitty said, it's better ergonomically to tune a reverse headstock while it's strapped on, as you just have to move your hand down the neck onto the headstock, instead of taking your arm over the headstock and bending it in a strange way.

Personally I prefer a reverse headstock most of the time for aesthetic and ergonomic reasons, though if I were to do get something like a Jazz Box I wouldn't put a reverse(or any inline, for that matter) headstock on it. It'd look weird and would create unnecessary harmonics, which isn't really good for jazz, especially on a hallow body.
AxeHappy and response like this.

Come join the SS.org Minecraft server!
Or not, it's your choice.

[rythmic_pulses] 11:14 pm: I think the chat just crashed into a horny cum covered tree
"Do space and sex go together? Not really, but that doesn't matter." - Science Channel
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #13
DjentyGoodness

thatguy87 is just really nicethatguy87 is just really nice
While agree that it's looks, I ....in hate reverse headstocks. Not sure why, but I absolutely hate em.
thatguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

Moltar has a spectacular aura about
I like them because it looks like the guitar is doing a wheelie!
Moltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
ss.org Regular

OmertaDave is on a distinguished road
Surely if the majority of modern guitars had reverse headstocks, they wouldn't be known as reverse headstocks and simply be called headstocks, whereas standard headstocks would be known as reverse headstocks.....

I want your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle
OmertaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

Khoi is a glorious beacon of lightKhoi is a glorious beacon of lightKhoi is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I just like them because I think they just look better.

makes it look a little more balanced and just visually pleasing seeing the tuners on the side with the lower horn
Khoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #17
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Personal preference is personal preference

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #18
Carvinite

FadexToxBlack81 is just really niceFadexToxBlack81 is just really nice
also just on a strictly cosmetic point of view, its something that separates your guitar from a ton of other production line models. If you dig the look, just go for it!
FadexToxBlack81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #19
Mostly Harmless

ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.
The total string length has no effect on tension. That's only affected by scale length, unit weight of the string and the desired pitch.

What is affected by the total string length is the compliance (how much the string stretches for a given force). So, assuming there's no friction over the nut or the saddles, then a longer string will feel less tense. This way, you can run a larger bass string, tighten it to a higher tension, and have it feel then same as a lower tension string with less overall length.

This is all moot, if you have a locking nut.

Ray
Hollowway and Razzy like this.

The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar?
ElRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
Banned

ibanezRG1527 can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwakenNoMore View Post
It looks ....ing better that's what the deal is.
here's an example:

Schecter A-7 and Avenger, reverse headstock just looks better on some guitars for sure. Also works on Ibanez, ESP, Jackson etc. Even Strats look cooler with reverse headstocks.
for me, a jackson almost HAS to have a reversed headstock. ESP/LTD's look nice with it as well. dont like reverse Ibby's though.

but isnt there also the issue with extra noise from the strings? on the OTHER side of the nut i mean haha. i know that standard headstocks make noise too but the bass side is always louder.

but ive got a rolled up shoelace under there so for me, reverse is no problem! i always keep that shit muted. but not a lot of people do that. they find that the string, foam, paper, etc. up there looks stupid. same with TOM bridges.

most people i know (in real life) dont even put anything back where the trem springs go
ibanezRG1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #21
Divine Parad°x

Sephael is just really niceSephael is just really nice
personally I prefer a head that is a little more symmetrical:

Sephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #22
ss.org Regular

Kalem will become famous soon enough
Same here on the more symmetrical headstocks.
But indeed: as stated before: personal preference is personal preference...
Kalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #23
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You can argue tension, string gauge, blah blah blah

but it's all about asthetics really, just a preference in looks, that's all it boils down too.

me i like regular non reverse in line 7's like the ibanez headstock, just my preference.

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Sepultorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

potatohead is a name known to allpotatohead is a name known to allpotatohead is a name known to allpotatohead is a name known to all
Reverse headstock rules, especially inline ones
potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #25
Ibanez whore

theo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultorture View Post

me i like regular non reverse in line 7's like the ibanez headstock, just my preference.
+1

Having owned both regular and reverse headstock guitars, I much prefer a regular orientation, both aesthetically and functionally.

I thought it made zero difference tonally.
theo is offline   Reply With Quote