homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By SirMyghin
  • 1 Post By TelosHedge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Misanthrope

Slavocracy will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Repetitive Stress Injuries

Is there any way I can possibly reverse this? I'm like 80% sure I've ....ed up my right arm because no matter what I do or how I do it, picking is just impossible now (especially palm muting) because my shoulder gets so tired after about 3 seconds of anything.

I've tried posture, making sure I'm moving my wrist, playing in classical position, everything. I've tried everything I can think of, or have been suggested to do, etc. My arm is just ....ed. I'm in a band and I really don't want to give up guitar.
Slavocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Correct your posture heavily. The location of you joints, curvature of back, out of place shoulders, etc have a very large impact on your susceptibility to RSI's. If you are sitting (and playing) straight up with good posture, as well as having good posture in everything else you do, you will be fine.

I had very bad RSIs previously in my thumbs (and terrible posture), went to physio, helped a bit, but I was told to live with Chronic Pain of such. I sought other means outside the formal medicine we have, where symptoms are treated and a friend turned me on to this book. Amazon.com: Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain (9780553379884): Pete Egoscue, Roger Gittines: Books Best 10$ I have ever spent if you actually devote the time to it. My wrists, permitting I take care of my body and don't slouch for days on end, are fully functioning and no longer restricted in mobility. I also corrected my flat feet as an added bonus and a myriad of other things. Doctors at the end of the day didn't help me a whole lot... They told me to live with it.
Kr1zalid and Ardez like this.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Misanthrope

Slavocracy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
Correct your posture heavily. The location of you joints, curvature of back, out of place shoulders, etc have a very large impact on your susceptibility to RSI's. If you are sitting (and playing) straight up with good posture, as well as having good posture in everything else you do, you will be fine.

I had very bad RSIs previously in my thumbs (and terrible posture), went to physio, helped a bit, but I was told to live with Chronic Pain of such. I sought other means outside the formal medicine we have, where symptoms are treated and a friend turned me on to this book. Amazon.com: Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain (9780553379884): Pete Egoscue, Roger Gittines: Books Best 10$ I have ever spent if you actually devote the time to it. My wrists, permitting I take care of my body and don't slouch for days on end, are fully functioning and no longer restricted in mobility. I also corrected my flat feet as an added bonus and a myriad of other things. Doctors at the end of the day didn't help me a whole lot... They told me to live with it.
Inspiring advice man, I'll try to pay more attention to my posture, thanks.
Slavocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Enjoys Chicken.

TelosHedge is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
i had a teacher who taught me ways of practicing that were completely intended to fix stress and pain problems. it involves playing passages at intensely slow speeds. while playing, as soon as you feel any kind of tension, stress, or pain - STOP PLAYING. freeze your technique, and try to maintain proper technique while simultaneously relaxing muscles and areas that feel uncomfortable. i admit at first you look kind of funny holding one note out or something and just sitting there, but you can get over a lot of pain by slowly figuring out where the stress is coming from. once you've eliminated any tension in your body, you can move on (again, very slowly) with your passage keeping in mind what your body just taught you about yourself.

takes a few weeks, but it works very very well if you have the patience to put into it. i would imagine that this isn't too far from the advice mentioned in the book above. you might want to get it and get to it!
BigPhi84 likes this.
TelosHedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
ss.org Regular

tvboy123 will become famous soon enough
Lay off the masturb...joke lol. But yeah, give your whole arm a break for a week or two, just so any tendons or anything can repair. Maybe get a lesson with a good guitar tutor in your area on posture. That could help. If you're worried about RSI, go to a physio and ask them for advice, even bring in your guitar with you and see what they say about your posture. If you're not seeking pro help check out this video, just in case it might be helpful,

I had electric shocks shooting through my wrists when i used to program day in and day out, needless to say, i quit that job lol. Nothing should be hurting when you play. Good luck dude! Oh and warm up hehe.
tvboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Complete 7 noob

Racman92 is on a distinguished road
In your situation, I would take their advice. Right arm injuries have more to do with posture, and correcting your posture should put less strain on the messed up area and let it heal.

I have a different problem though, ulnar nerve entrapment in my left arm. It happens from having your elbow bent a lot, which has apparently taken its toll on my ulnar nerve over the last 8 years. When I bend my arm, my pinky and half of my ring finger pretty much fall asleep. I dont lose strength in them, I just only half feel them. Its weird.
Racman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
Enjoys Chicken.

TelosHedge is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racman92 View Post
In your situation, I would take their advice. Right arm injuries have more to do with posture, and correcting your posture should put less strain on the messed up area and let it heal.

I have a different problem though, ulnar nerve entrapment in my left arm. It happens from having your elbow bent a lot, which has apparently taken its toll on my ulnar nerve over the last 8 years. When I bend my arm, my pinky and half of my ring finger pretty much fall asleep. I dont lose strength in them, I just only half feel them. Its weird.
i have ulnar nerve problems as well. i've been seeing a chiropracter to help it, but i am very skeptical about chiropractic work in general. reading that you have a similar problem actually makes me feel a bit better. hang in there!
TelosHedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Complete 7 noob

Racman92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelosHedge View Post
i have ulnar nerve problems as well. i've been seeing a chiropracter to help it, but i am very skeptical about chiropractic work in general. reading that you have a similar problem actually makes me feel a bit better. hang in there!
I had yet to see anyone else with the same problem, everyone seems to have right arm problems. I read somewhere that they can use cortisone and anti-inflammatory drugs to help, gonna ask my doctor about it. Good luck with yours, its a pretty annoying problem...
Racman92 is offline   Reply With Quote