homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By tvboy123
  • 3 Post By DaveFSJ
  • 1 Post By neoclassical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

eurolove will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Finding the tone i have in my head

got a pod hd recently, my guitar is a rg1527 with crunch lab/liquifire and so far i simply cant dial in a tone i am even remotely happy with. my desired tone is something like the contemporary humbucker demo clips on the bkp website, i love that organic grind/growl, but with countless eq-ing and different amp settings i can't even get close. all i get is this horrible sterile fuzz. which ironically means i can get a really great master of puppets era metallica tone. i have tried downloading other peoples patches too but no joy. halp plz ss.org.
eurolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
The main thing I am finding about the POD HD is a lot of the best tones ends up being a combination of different amps / mics / cabinets.

Even taking the same amp type, but mixing too different mic models will yield some awesome results.

Also try mixing and matching different amps. I assume you are using the full amp models and not the "pre" models right? If so, also try tweaking the sag / hum / bias / bias xcursion settings. Those are the real controls for getting some throaty power tube sounds like you hear on the BKP clips.

Here's a link to a patch I made that has some nice growl:

Line 6 POD HD Thread

You can atleast use it as a starting point for checking out how I've tweaked the amp's internal controls and the different mic combos.

Also, make sure to hook it up to a computer and download the Pod-HD edit software so you can access the amp paramaters and just because its faster to edit patches and dial in tones than with the pedal's built-in UI.

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Banned

rectifryer is just really nicerectifryer is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I would try setting everything in the middle and start from there. It really works.
rectifryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

tvboy123 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My advice is...as rectifryer stated...start with everything in middle at noon. Don't tweak anything just yet...

First play a tone that you like (find a cd with one that you think is amazing). - pick a 10 second riff where you can hear the guitars clearly.

Listen for gain, don't care about the bass or treble etc...just listen to how fizzy it sounds (concentrate on the high end fizz and distortion).

Play the exact same riff. Adjust gain to where you would say is about right. Hey presto you got the gain, that's half the battle done.

Tweakage begins:
Now repeat the above process but listen for the bass, and sweep the bass dial on your pod until you're happy and think you've got a similar bass. Do the same for treble and then lastly, adjust the mids in that way.

Finally add effects e.g. reverb if needs be, to add a little depth to the tone.

Keep in mind and don't forget you're listening to a CD that has been produced and has gone through a whole signal chain of microphones, mic pres, converters etc. and production. This is not the sound that will have come out of the amps when recording, even if it is very near. Enjoy your tone quest! Doing things for yourself will help you get a better ear and grow your confidence, rather than using presets! Good luck!

P.S. never used a pod but I have an idea...try to use the same amps etc that the band used on the cd to start with before tweakage! - alternatively, replace the cd with the tone in your head
Augury likes this.
tvboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

TheBotquax is a jewel in the rough
Use the tube drive effect with drive at 30, bass at 20, mids at 65, and treble at 45. This sounds really good with the ANGL amp sim and gives a it nice chunkyness.
TheBotquax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

DaveFSJ is on a distinguished road
Stick the send cable in your left ear and the return lead in you right ear, strike an open E Chord in the most Metal pose you can think of and extract that wicked tone from behind your face!
DaveFSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Urwało mi dupę

peagull is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFSJ View Post
Stick the send cable in your left ear and the return lead in you right ear, strike an open E Chord in the most Metal pose you can think of and extract that wicked tone from behind your face!
made me snort red bull out of my nose!

On a serious note. Use the looper and (like mentioned above) the pc editor. It makes editing so much easier. Find the riff, loop it, put the gettar down, then tweak.

What are you playing through when editing and what are you using it for? Recording, Live etc?

Do a search for Fletcher/Munson EQ curves. There's no one size fits all, but it's useful info to know about why if you make patches at home on your headphones, they sound like garbage when you get in a band situation.
peagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
FENRISMAW

Location: Petty obsessions. If this is heaven, how bad is hell?
neoclassical is a jewel in the rough
Ditch the Dimarzio pups and most of the fuzz will go with them. In my experience pickups and speakers make a huge difference in your tone. If you like the sound of the BKP's then that's what you need to start -they're the first link in the chain.
peagull likes this.

"But Lord, during the hardest trials of my life, why was there only one set of footprints?"
"Because," said the Lord, ôSandpeople always ride single-file to hide their numbers."

man wat u satalking about i am shono -shonoo
neoclassical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #9
Theory God

Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you have trouble with setting everything to noon and dialing in from there, I find that turning everything to zero clears my head of influence. The order that I introduce my EQ in is Bass, Treble, Mids (low mids, then high mids, if you have the option). Then, do the same thing for gain, get whatever effects you want, and adjust volume to match the band. That way feels more like tone building rather than tone tweaking to me. Not that I don't use both, though. It just gives me something to alternate with when I get frustrated.

Skype theory lessons. PM me.
Mr. Big Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
SS.org Irregular

iceythe is just really niceiceythe is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just wanted to chime in as well on this topic. Your best bet is to get to know the POD better. It will help you greatly to dial in what you want. It's not fool-proof at all. You need to know what you are trying to do.

Since my recent acquisition of the POD HD bean, I've tried spending a few hour sessions on getting the feel and function of the dials, and coming from the old XT, I came to discover some really interesting quirks:

Drive-knob operates very different from the XT. You'd expect the processed tone to be super-fizzy and less tight on very high gain, but instead it seems to add a new layer of semi-harmonic distortion or white noise that blends in. Often pretty well, too.

Turning Bass-knob up and it performs as expected, however doing so with Middle and Treble knobs will subtract the respective opposite sides. Meaning, if you turn up Middle, then Bass and Treble will start to lower - as opposed to just adding mids.

Presence-knob is actually very different from earlier PODs. It does not increase the very-high-end of the spectrum (but somewhere between 2-4kHz). In practicality, using the Treble-knob for increasing the sense of presence will yield better results. However, understand that in order to increase high-end on the POD HD, you may have to look beyond the Treble-knob and instead lower Middle/Bass because of the way they subtract from each other.

Basically, don't take any of the Drive/Bass/Middle/Treble knobs for granted. Some of them will add (or subtract) something very dramatically. Nothing is linear like earlier PODs where you could predict the outcome of turning one of these knobs. Always turn them around slowly and notice how it changes. They will even react very differently depending on which amp model you use. Start with 50% as earlier mentioned, but don't miss out tweaking them to see what actually lies beneath or beyond 50%.

Putting an overdrive before the amp-module is quite essential. This is something I ignored when browsing through the amps to preview high-gain tones. The only amps that seemingly doesn't require an OD before it are JCM800, P-Ball and some other. This is what caused the popular belief that the POD HD lacked good high-gain amps. The POD HD was designed to react very much to whatever you put in your FX-loop, and this feature testaments it very well.

Another thing that bothered me is the lack of really high-end sheen from a tone. This is where the Mid focus EQ comes in. Placing this after the amp/mixer-modules and something interesting will happen. The Mid focus EQ is basically a low/high shelf filter with emphasis on said areas. Note that the init-preset upon loading this EQ is very misguiding as it will sound very mid-focused. Once you load it, make sure to set HP freq to 0 and LP freq to 100, then start rolling them outwards with a moderat Q (60-80). I found my perfect shimmer at LP-freq of 85% with a Q of 71%. You can also use the HP-freq to add bottom end from 2-3% and upwards (also similar Q).

Ridding of fizz is not as easy on the POD HD as earlier versions beacuse of the lack of a proper parametric EQ. I've come to use several of the FX-blocks just for removing fizz, because you basically get a one band parametric EQ. However, what sets it apart from the XT/X3's EQ is the ability to use Q to really nail that particular fizz. Since most of the fizz are within 8 kHz, it (or Studio EQ) should work fine, albeit barely. Otherwise you need to use the Mid focus EQ with a relaxed LP Q.
iceythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 04:08 AM   #11
ss.org Regular

book_of_lies777 will become famous soon enough
here's a thing I came up with to cop a tone from your favorite band, etc. It works pretty well... basically, you're taking a snapshot of the tone and analyzing the frequencies present, which you will then use to dial in said tone. (I did this with my POD X3, but the concept applies no matter what gear one is using) Here's the full write-up in my blog:

Diamonds and Rust: POD X3 EQ trick (works with other gear too)

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

my original music (stoner-doom):
http://www.reverbnation.com/officialgoeticcircle
http://www.facebook.com/GoeticCircle

my music/gear blog:
"Diamonds and Rust"
(music, videos, guitar gear, opinions, etc.)
http://www.tony93666.blogspot.com/
book_of_lies777 is offline   Reply With Quote