homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

nightendday is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking to upgrade from my detuned 6

First off, my first post here, I'm mike. Nice to meet all of you. This place seems to have a rather ridiculous amount of information, so I'm looking forward to my stay here.

Now, My current guitar is a peavey hp sig series, It's tuned in AEADF#B. My string gauges are 14-68, and I play mostly doom metal, though I would love to learn tosin abasi's playing style. I REALLY want to extend the range of the doom band, and I felt an 8 would do that quite well. I don't have alot to spend, so I was looking at an Agile intrepid. What scale would you choose? And keep in mind i don't have the longest fingers and I'm only 5'8.
nightendday is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What tuning you looking to go for?
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

nightendday is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
What tuning you looking to go for?
Well, here is my question to you... I'm looking to add girth to existing songs in the tuning I just described, what 2 note would those extra 2 strings be? I mean just adding onto AEADF#B
nightendday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well, there you have 6 string drop D, tuned down.
Drop A on a 7 string is actually AEADGBE, just adding a low A to standard. So you could tune the G string to F# if it makes you more comfortable with your songs, and add the high E string. I only mention a high string because you mentioned 8 strings, though more girth implies you want low strings.

If you're in AEADGBE, the next lowest string to make sense is either E or D. I wouldn't go lower than that.

If I were you I'd either get a 7 for E/D AEAD F#/G B
or an 8, for the above tuning with a high E string.

The double EAEA tuning is nice. Allows you to move any E or A string riffs down an octave, and also gives you standard power chord shapes on the bottom two strings.
Dropping the low E to D is an awesome tuning. Basically 5ths tuning on the first few strings. You get one finger powerchords across the low D-A, and across the A-E. Combine them with some standard chord shapes and you get some really nice voicings.

I'd go for 28.625" to tune anywhere below F#. I would suggest 30" if you hadn't said about your small fingers.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote