homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By BinaryTox1n
  • 1 Post By technomancer
  • 1 Post By bulb
  • 2 Post By BinaryTox1n
  • 1 Post By Ancestor
  • 1 Post By arktan

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #1

BinaryTox1n is a name known to allBinaryTox1n is a name known to allBinaryTox1n is a name known to allBinaryTox1n is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What the hell is "djent?"

I see some of you people use the word when referring to the tones of bands like meshuggah,
but i have no idea what the hell you mean.

Could someone inform me?

Dave didn't like the song on the radio. So he killed a little girl.
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-01-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
It's that sound you get when you palm mute with razor tight, high gain tone.

DJENT! DJEN-DJENT!

It's just people's way of trying to describe what that sound is like, using words. Think of say... 'Sad But True'. The main rhythm. Sorta like that.

http://www.wolf.org
Unread 11-01-2006, 09:21 PM   #3

BinaryTox1n is a name known to allBinaryTox1n is a name known to allBinaryTox1n is a name known to allBinaryTox1n is a name known to all
Ah, i thought it meant something.

Thanks, dude.
Roboticus likes this.

Unread 11-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
My pleasure.

Unread 11-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
blah!

nyck is just really nicenyck is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Actually, it's really that twang sound when you hit the string with your pick really hard and fast without palm muting but muting the note right after it's been hit. Listen to Meshuggah's Catch 33 for some major low F djent djent. Or bulb's music on www.soundclick.com/bulb you can definitely hear it well there. it's like a Quack in the pick attack.
It's super easy to get it with a Line 6 pod, but I'm pretty sure all you need is a boost pedal with the drive at 0 and tone turned up. That's the way you do it on the podxt atleast to bring it out.
Unread 11-01-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
Canis lupis obscurus

What the hell is the for? Nothing funny in the explantion.

Your description is just one interpretation.

It's essentially the sound you get with tight gain and a heavy stroke. Muting is usually involved.

Unread 11-02-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
Sign Your Neg Rep Posts!

Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
i thought it was a chord progression

"I wish TV had a knob so you could turn up the intelligence. The one marked Brightness doesn't work."

Gallagher
Unread 11-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
OldschoolGhettostyle

Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyck
Listen to Meshuggah's Catch 33 for some major low F djent djent. Or bulb's music on www.soundclick.com/bulb you can definitely hear it well there. it's like a Quack in the pick attack.
Yep. I went to that site since I had listened to bulb's "Icarus Lives!" and was blown away by it. I listened to about 20 of his songs on that site. Amazing. Vince and Bulb are definitely my 2 favorite musicians on this forum (well, and Buzz, of course). How does Bulb get his guitar to sound like that, anyway? I'd be interested to know. I get more tradition metal, thrash metal, or death metal sounds on my guitar(s).
Unread 11-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #9
Dog says yes ^.^ Yes

InTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
on that note, does anyone know how to get their sound...the one off the POD PRO's, because I could do that on the flextone and djent my life away!

Sabaton
Unread 11-04-2006, 11:31 PM   #10
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by .jason.
i thought it was a chord progression
Yeah, man, you gotta' love those nasty J, N, and T chords
BILLpunkrockXD likes this.
Unread 11-14-2006, 02:06 PM   #11

bulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnate
sublevels:

DJENT DJENT DJENDJENT DJENDJENT.......DJENT DJENDJENT DJEDJENT...

geddit?
alexdrummerboy likes this.
Unread 11-14-2006, 03:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulb View Post
sublevels:

DJENT DJENT DJENDJENT DJENDJENT.......DJENT DJENDJENT DJEDJENT...

geddit?

Suprisingly, that was a fantastic description.

Unread 11-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #13
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I think that just described their next album.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Unread 11-15-2006, 12:27 AM   #14
Cancer:The Crucifuct

Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
....and here I thought it was a brown sauce served rice and seared chikcen...
Unread 11-18-2006, 02:33 AM   #15
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I must be an old timer, I always thought it was DUNT

You know, like "The Mirror"...

DUNT-DUNT-DUNT...DUNT-DUNT-DUNT...DUNT-DUNT-DUNT...DUNT-DUNT-DUNT...

Unread 11-18-2006, 03:46 AM   #16
SS Contributor

Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Guitar noise onomatopoeia rules. Yeah, it's djent. Definitely.
alexdrummerboy likes this.
Unread 01-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

geetar_geek79 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf View Post
It's that sound you get when you palm mute with razor tight, high gain tone.

DJENT! DJEN-DJENT!

It's just people's way of trying to describe what that sound is like, using words. Think of say... 'Sad But True'. The main rhythm. Sorta like that.
or make it like DJENT! DJENT-DJENT-DJENNNNTTT! and you have Master of Puppets!
Unread 07-18-2008, 04:06 AM   #18

Guitarwizard is just really niceGuitarwizard is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sad but true:

DJENNNNNT - - DJENT - DJENT - - WIDLEY - WIDLEY - WEY - DJENNNNNT - - DJENT - DJENT - - WIDLEY - WIDLEEEEEEEYYY

EDIT: oooops, I just noticed I brought a very old thread up here..

If you change 4 letters in "Mama", it's "Beer"!

Me: myspace.com/odilovonins
My Band: myspace.com/legendaaureaofficial
Unread 07-18-2008, 07:39 AM   #19
Icnomptenent

arktan is a glorious beacon of lightarktan is a glorious beacon of lightarktan is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarwizard View Post
Sad but true:

DJENNNNNT - - DJENT - DJENT - - WIDLEY - WIDLEY - WEY - DJENNNNNT - - DJENT - DJENT - - WIDLEY - WIDLEEEEEEEYYY

EDIT: oooops, I just noticed I brought a very old thread up here..
And there we go again.....

Djent is overrated. It's nice but this whole fanatic fanboy'ism is annoying it's like some form of religion
Kabstract likes this.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.” - Plato
Closed Thread