homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
Archrocker

Kr1zalid is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dirty fingerboards... How to clean this?

Hi! First of all, even though I had read through few threads in the forums about "cleaning your guitar", I still have problems removing, perfectly all the "dirty stuffs" that stick for too long on the fingerboard of my guitar and some of my friends guitar.

I use some baby oils and a towel (yes, towels...) to wipe my guitar~~ the strings, the fingerboard, back of the neck, body, and the area around the saddles, almost everytime after I played it if I don't feel too lazy to do that. I don't really know how to find lemon oil around my place so I use baby oils everytime...

About the "dirty stuffs", it's really really hard to just rub it off~~ it feels like it'll only goes off when I use something like my fingernails to scrape those things off AND in fear that if I continue to do so will result in damaging the fingerboard really hard in the end.

Figured out that this is the best place to ask for advices about this and attached some crappy pictures that I took with my phone and hope you can see that there are some part of the fingerboard where it looks like there are some sticky stuffs on it (clearly in the first pic and last pic.....I guess). Please write your comment about this and thank you in advance!

"You've heard djent, this is thrunnnggg and thrennnggg" - ixlramp on Blut Aus Nord's 777 sects album

God bless you all!! Cheers
- Kr1zalid -
Kr1zalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-08-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Baby Oil isn't meant as a cleaner, so it's no surprise that it's not taking off the usual fretboard gunk. Get some Naphtha, pour some on the dirty fretboard, let it sit for a bit, than use some lint free rags to wipe the board down. If there's still gunk use a small, blunt paint scrapper/puddy knife to get it off. After all that use the oil to condition the now very dry fretboard.

If the board is maple, as in finished, skip the oil step.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #3
ss.org Regular

iacovetti will become famous soon enough
i just use dunlop fretboard oil and fine steel wool
iacovetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 04:16 AM   #4
Dovahkiin

TheGhunther is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I work at a local repair shop ;)

Take the cleaner (idk what you have, but my stuff is called Guitar Honey or something like that) and cover the fretboard. Let it sit and kinda soak for a couple minutes, 2 or 3 should do. Take some very, very fine steel wool and gently scrub (as gently as possible, as to not damage the fretboard) with the grain of the wood. You'll feel it get smoother and smoother. Stop when it gets about as smooth as it'll get. Then take the steel wool and gently scrub over the frets in a direction perpendicular to how you did the fretboard. This part is very brief, and is simply a polishing of the frets.

Wipe off everything with a paper towel. There will be dark brown and blackish smudges all over the towel when you're done. This gunk is the shit that made your fretboard nasty.

Wait a couple minutes and wipe the fretboard again. The cleaner (most of them are alcohol based) will have seeped back out of the wood and should appear as small wet spots on the fretboard. Do this about three times, or until the fretboard stops excreting the cleaner.

Now you apply the oil, I use the Dunlop lemon oil stuff. It's difficult to get all of the wood saturated with the oil without a a paper towel, so use one. Let it soak for about 30sec, then wipe all excess oil off. Repeat the process you used earlier to make sure the wood accepted all of the juice it's going to.

Slap some strings on it and you're done.
TheGhunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
ss.org Irregular

malufet is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I used the dunlop fingerboard kit, I loved it.

Dunlop Guitar Fingerboard Conditioning Kit and more Fretted Instrument Care & Cleaning at GuitarCenter.com.
CooleyJr, cwhitey2 and jrg828 like this.
malufet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
The Minotaur

Meatbucket is just really niceMeatbucket is just really nice
I use lemon or orange wood cleaning oil and some wash rags. Gone, and it gives you a nice zesty smell!

[Infinity Complex] 12:39 am: i hate you, meat.
---------------------------------------------
[Razzy] 11:50 am: I'd so suck her penis.
[Razzy] 11:51 am: I typed that without thinking. I apologize.
---------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/TheMinotaurMeatbucket
Meatbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
The Optimist Prime.

GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Steel wool
GuitaristOfHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
Banned

schecter4life is a jewel in the rough
Just moisten a paper towel in rubbing alcahole and clean the fretboard, then rub in some lemon oil and dry with a clean towel, WILL LOOK LIKE NEW!!!
schecter4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
Archrocker

Kr1zalid is a jewel in the rough
Thanks everyone for the input! I don't have the time yet to go and buy the stuffs you all mentioned because I was having some college activities and exams are nearby so I gotta prepare my stuffs...

I'll try do something on my guitar soon!

"You've heard djent, this is thrunnnggg and thrennnggg" - ixlramp on Blut Aus Nord's 777 sects album

God bless you all!! Cheers
- Kr1zalid -
Kr1zalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
this godles endeavor

omentremor is a jewel in the rough
Grab a soft cloth, use a fretboard cleaner of some variety or lemoil, or make your own lemoil, its just lemon juice and water.
omentremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omentremor View Post
Grab a soft cloth, use a fretboard cleaner of some variety or lemoil, or make your own lemoil, its just lemon juice and water.
Being sarcastic?

The "lemon oil" used in instrument upkeep has no actual lemons in it. It's actually just a mixture of naphtha and mineral oil.
CrushingAnvil and Dead Undead like this.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #12
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
i used to use a thin pick to scrape the gunk from the board. then i would use .0000 finishing steel wool on each fret. then MAXOFMETAL told me about naptha (available at the hardware store ,prolly aroun dthe wood stripper)! what used to be a couple hour job now takes about 3 minutes.
do as max said and use naptha. since its your first try i suggest getting a tipping the can upside down with a rag over the hole. just rub each fret (the metal) and the board ( between the metal frets). hit about 4 frets, and 2 - board sections per douse of naptha. be sure to do this outside.
after the naptha cleaning apply the lemon oil. i use the dunlop lemon oil with the fuzzy applicator. apply enough to see it sitting on the wood. let it soak for about 30 minutes. then wipe off with an old sock. let sit for a while cuz the board will expel some oil after you wipe it off.
Mr. Big Noodles and jrg828 like this.
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #13
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omentremor View Post
Nah, buddy, you just want to be throwing lemons at your guitar's fingerboard.

That'll do the trick.

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel
CrushingAnvil is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 07:04 AM   #14
ss.org Regular

Facebones will become famous soon enough
With the shape those frets are in, I'd be more worried about replacing them, as for your fretboard, I've used #0000 steel wool to clean a friend's fretboard when theirs looked nastier than yours, finished with Gerlitz Honey Oil Fretboard Conditioner, and it looked brand spankin' new.
Facebones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #15
ss.org Regular

jcgss77 is on a distinguished road
You have all the info you need on the fretboard-but you seriously need some fretwork done on that guitar.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 01:39 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

Humanoid is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
One way to clean a fretboard is to use a toothbrush with shortened bristles. Soft and hard at the same time
Dead Undead likes this.

You have five earth minutes.
Humanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 01:58 AM   #17
Thundercrafter

Dead Undead is just really niceDead Undead is just really nice
Gorgomyte.
Dead Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

aiur55 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Undead View Post
Gorgomyte.
Was just about to mention that. But your frets look like that need a bit more work than that...
aiur55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #19
ss.org Regular

Masc0t is on a distinguished road
I use lemon oil and run a tooth brush on the frets to get the harder spots off. Just don't brush your teeth with it again.
Dead Undead likes this.
Masc0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #20
SS.org Regular

mountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
ultra fine steel wool on frets, then

and last but not least

its a lot cheaper than buying those micro dunlop bottles, and you get a lifetime supply
mountainjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #21
ss.org Regular

MohawkShred is on a distinguished road
Lemon oil ftw!
MohawkShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #22
Sycamore Trees

Murdstone is a glorious beacon of lightMurdstone is a glorious beacon of lightMurdstone is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
If the board is maple, as in finished, skip the oil step.
I've heard this is just a myth. Is there any proof that lemon oil will actually ruin a maple fretboard?
Murdstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

idunno is just really niceidunno is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdstone View Post
I've heard this is just a myth. Is there any proof that lemon oil will actually ruin a maple fretboard?
If the board is lacquered then there's no point putting oil on it, there is no exposed wood... Ive never seen an unfinished maple boead before, if i had one id oil it.
idunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #24
Dude

Ghost40 is a glorious beacon of lightGhost40 is a glorious beacon of lightGhost40 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
+1 for the Dunlop cleaner. Normally I don't let it get to that extent but I use naphtha at string changes and about every two months I use a very thin coat of English's lemon oil. Let it sit for a few minutes and wipe it off. Let me add that I use this on my rosewood boards. I use the Dunlop on ebony
Ghost40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #25
Namby Pamby

stevemcqueen is a jewel in the rough
I use guitar honey and a very soft toothbrush. With the toothbrush you don't have to worry as much about scratching the fretboard as opposed to steel wool.
stevemcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote