homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mountainjam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

Dennyism will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What would make you respond to a Craigslist ad? Critique requested.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I need some more assistance from you folks out there playing shows and making things happen.

The long short of this is, what do you look for in a band looking for musicians ad that would grab your attention? This was the last ad I posted up here in the Norfolk/Va. Beach ad, and I am looking to know, am I doing this wrong? Does this need more or less? Ad is as follows:

My Own Vice is a new band starting up that is so far made up of former members of Erase the Enemy and Unscarred. Check out our ad at bandmix My Own Vice - Band in Chesapeake, VA - BandMix.com for some of the style of music we're doing. If you have the skills to pull it off, hit us up. Looking for the following:

Stage and Recording Experience
Stage Ready Gear
Transportation

If you want to give it a shot or have questions, hit us at our facebook page at My Own Vice | Facebook or the band email at MyOwnViceVa@gmail.com

Keep it Metal!!

So, this has been floating around for a while. I've already renewed it, and not a bite. I'm pretty convinced I'm doing this wrong, so any help is appreciated. Thanks for the assist.

Dennis
Dennyism is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm curious... do you have a way of looking at how many webpage hits you have from the Craigslist ad? If you're getting traffic, but no one biting, then maybe no one is interested in that particular thing.

I notice, by the way, that you don't list your ad's title. Do you have an ad specifically for "bassist," "keys," and "drums?" Just asking for musicians can make it seem like you don't yet have a band... and, frankly, the fact that you only have two members so far, and that they're both guitarists, might make me hesitate to jump into a situation where two of the normally more dominant roles in a band are already filled, and where I'm likely to be a backup to whatever their little music fest has already be decided to be.

I'm no longer from your area, but I met quite a few guys through word of mouth when I lived in the DC area, and it was normally through networking that I met people with whom I wound up playing. If you're only relying on Craigslist, I'd recommend hanging in music stores. I had Atomic Music near me (Greenbelt MD), but I'd hope that you'd have something similar near you. Shmooze. Make connections. "Hey! How's it going!" I knew a bunch of guys who knew other guys, and since I was sociable, i could just toss out, "Do you know of any decent bass players who are looking for a situation? Well, currently we're doing this, but really, I'm open to see what emerges when someone else brings their stuff to the table. I don't want to rule anything out."

Of course, if you're committed to a particular sound before you have the staff to do it, you don't need to abandon that. However, I've had better experiences with being open to what might come along than when I had hard and fast expectations.

Good luck!

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

mountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I wouldn't rely on people listening to the music to get an idea of your style, I would clearly label the style somewhere in the cl ad
Bigfan likes this.
mountainjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
C.L.I.T. Master

burnsfs will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I think for the most part you got everything right, but word of mouth is better as explorer already stated.
burnsfs is offline   Reply With Quote