homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stupidheader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

stupidheader is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Downtuning to F# standard.

I am a relatively beginning guitar player. I have a Dean Vendetta 7-string. I actually bought it because it was a better deal than the 6-string I was looking at. I am working on learning how to use the extra string, my guitar playing skills are a work in progress. I suck at the moment. Anyway, I really like bands like Candlemass, Black Sabbath, Reverend Bizzare, and the doom stuff. I really really love low frequencies, and heavy as hell riffs.(I am not a nu-metal chug-junkie, I know what it means to actually play an instrument) I'm just not sure how low I can practically go. I'd like some clarity in my notes too, not just a muddy mess, but I think that has just as much to do with my amp and stuff as with my guitar.I'd like to do to Candlemass what they did to Black Sabbath. I like their style of doom, but I'd like to take it to a new level. I have my guitar tuned in F# standard right now. F#BEADF#B. I like the sound that comes from it, but since I need to learn a lot about playing it, I need a tuning that I can apply to other music, so I can learn other songs. I read tab, not real sheet music, but I have a basic understanding of how music works. Anyway, advise away. Hopefully I get some answers soon.
DarkRain93 likes this.
stupidheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-11-2011, 12:52 AM   #2

dantejayg85 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If I understand you correctly you want to write your own music? if so then I say IF that tuning is working ok on your guitar then write in that tuning, I don't really understand what you mean be a tuning you can apply to other music?

"dantejayg85: your entry sounded like something you'd hear in a final fantasy game, when the characters discover a massive robot factory where the enemy is creating his army, and as the camera zooms out you see square mile after square mile filled with them in my oppinion anyway."
-p0ke
dantejayg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
ss.org Regular

stupidheader is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You're pretty much correct. The only way i can get myself to practice is by writing music. But, if I wanted to play another song or something, it'd be nice to have a tuning that was applicable to that song. A song written in e standard tuning is kinda hard to play in drop c, you know? My idea with my tuning was that it wouldnt be hard to play a lot of songs with just a few fingering changes.
stupidheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #4
GHETTO KING OF SWAG

The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm sort of confused. Play songs in standard in F#. Songs in drop tunings dropped. Due to the intervalic something-or-other they'll still sound the same. I learned some of The Black Dahlia Murder's songs on my B Standard seven-string. It's all in the hands, buddy

If you're going to 'like' my posts, give me some rep instead.

"
i just laughed at my own reflection, not sure if ugly or drunk" -Murmel

The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Dude

Ghost40 is a glorious beacon of lightGhost40 is a glorious beacon of lightGhost40 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
My main tuning is dropped B. Thats what I write in. My band covers a few Slipknot tunes. However, I find myself having different guitars for different songs, due to tuning differences. I have found that I can change the fingering on the drop B toplay other songs. As an example, we cover Made of Scars (which is in a drop D flat), I play this on my drop B, the chord is fingered at the 7th fret for me, not the 5th (I think it was originally). Its just a fast jump to hit the nots at the second fret, that would normally be open.

If your reading tab, you'll have to transpose it for the tuning your in. Some times it can be challenging, but fun. I hope I didn't confuse you, I know I am.
Ghost40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #6

dantejayg85 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reverend View Post
I'm sort of confused. Play songs in standard in F#. Songs in drop tunings dropped. Due to the intervalic something-or-other they'll still sound the same. I learned some of The Black Dahlia Murder's songs on my B Standard seven-string. It's all in the hands, buddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost40 View Post
My main tuning is dropped B. Thats what I write in. My band covers a few Slipknot tunes. However, I find myself having different guitars for different songs, due to tuning differences. I have found that I can change the fingering on the drop B toplay other songs. As an example, we cover Made of Scars (which is in a drop D flat), I play this on my drop B, the chord is fingered at the 7th fret for me, not the 5th (I think it was originally). Its just a fast jump to hit the nots at the second fret, that would normally be open.

If your reading tab, you'll have to transpose it for the tuning your in. Some times it can be challenging, but fun. I hope I didn't confuse you, I know I am.
Agreed if your in F# then you have the notes save for the higher ones to play most songs if you think about it. If you want to play a song thats in say Drop A you can hit a low A on the 7th/F# string..... or just buy another cheap guitar if money is an issue and leave it in a tunning thats more suited for the music you want to learn and then have your other guitar tuned to F# that you write songs on

Thats what I did anyway I have one guitar thats usually in b or Bb then one thats tuned to E standard and then another thats tuned to A standard/Drop G that seems to be the easiest route

"dantejayg85: your entry sounded like something you'd hear in a final fantasy game, when the characters discover a massive robot factory where the enemy is creating his army, and as the camera zooms out you see square mile after square mile filled with them in my oppinion anyway."
-p0ke
dantejayg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
hammer every cock

failshredder is a jewel in the rough
Personally, I'd recommend keeping it in standard. Tuning down a fourth on a seven-string nets you a lot of low-end chug, and will sound great jamming around by yourself, but it's really not necessary in a band (that is to say, fully-arranged music) situation, even for sludgy doom metal (hell, Virgin Black tunes to D standard on a six).

daily food like shit and beer
this taste is stronger than heroin
failshredder is offline   Reply With Quote