homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Van
Banned

Van is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How Is This Sound Achieved?

Are these pick scrapes? If so, how do I make my scrapes sound that powerful? Right now they sound pretty much like it sounds when you slide your fingers from position to position. If not, what are they?

it starts at around 35 seconds.
thanks
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Unleash the proggies

Fzau is just really niceFzau is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Those are rakes of the natural harmonics on the fifth fret I think.
Just rake them with distortion going down.

You win, I'm your bitch now. - PnKnG

...if you... if you show me yours, i... iŽll show you mine!
(no, i donŽt actually have anything hahah!)
- MF_Kitten

I just imagined Pete naked holding a Blackmachine seductively.
I need to see that Hayley Williams pic again.
- vampiregenocide

Oh yeah, totally dude. I mean, shit, I rape my girlfriend all the time. It's tops
- Demoniac
Fzau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

ArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of light
Indeed those are rakes on the natural harmonics, not sure which fret because I'm not sure what the tuning is on that album. But GORIJA IS FULL OF WIN.
ArkaneDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Either fifth or fourth fret rakes, yeah. Same technique in the first video in my sig.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
Van
Banned

Van is a jewel in the rough
thanks guys, that helps a lot!
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
ss.org Regular

JonnyDeath can only hope to improve
I wouldn't call those rakes if you do any legitimate arpeggio sweeping which unfortunately, most people don't know the difference between a sweep sequence and sweeping an arpeggio. Arpeggios are intended to be swept one direction from the root note then the opposing direction to return to the root note. Granted it's an actual arpeggio not a sweep pattern.
So say you only sweep one direction and ascend into the piece, well you've just performed a rake regardless of whether you are hitting an arpeggio or "sweep" pattern. You raked one direction rather than sweeping in two. So most guys are not only not playing arpeggios but they're rake picking rather than sweep picking.

So to finally answer your question, those are just really lame pick slides/scrapes. He's scraping his pick down the strings, hurrah!
JonnyDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How are you guys hearing harmonics? I'm listening from :35 to about :55 and hearing pick scrapes.

I don't see how they are really lame... I don't see how a technique can be lame unless it is not executed as intended, which certainly isn't the case here.

If you hold your pick at a harsh angle and scratch it against the low string while you chug, you should achieve this tone as long as your electronics are bright enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post
Either fifth or fourth fret rakes, yeah. Same technique in the first video in my sig.
I must've missed that part, cool vid, though.

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Subhuman

Double A is a jewel in the rough
It sounds like they are using the sides of their pics to scrape the chords they play a few seconds later tbh.

Who needs bass players? If I wanted something to lay around and do nothing, I'd get a cat. -ArkaneDemon
"How can you trust a man that wears both a belt and suspenders? He can't even trust his own pants!" -Morton
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
FYI : Link to video

Doesn't appear that they are doing anything special here technique-wise. Listen closely, and it sounds like a wah of some sort.

Unread 12-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
they are doing the harmonic as stated. tony danza tapdance does the same thing
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #11
Spastic Kitchen!

I just listened through headphones again. You guys must be hearing a different song than I am. I don't hear anything even vaguely related to harmonics.

What sounds like a pick scrape in the recorded version sounds more like an electronic effect in the live version, and if you watch his hands in the video, you can see normal chords being played.

Unread 12-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
Subhuman

Ok, after raking while palm muting on the 5th fret I can pretty much say I think one guitarist is doing that and the other is playing the chord.

Who needs bass players? If I wanted something to lay around and do nothing, I'd get a cat. -ArkaneDemon
"How can you trust a man that wears both a belt and suspenders? He can't even trust his own pants!" -Morton
Unread 12-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

7Mic7 will become famous soon enough
7Mic7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
Subhuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Mic7 View Post
Yes, that is how you get that raking sound but on the recording and live there is clearly a chord being played in concert with the raking trick.

Unread 12-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #15
Bonitis.

Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
On the recording one guitar is playing chords and the other is doing raking. I haven't seen the video in question but if you fret notes while doing the rake and allow the flesh of the your thumb (pick hand)to slide against the strings you will have the fretted notes become apparent beneath the scrape and ring out after it ends.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Necris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #16
surrounded by chairs

groph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDeath View Post
I wouldn't call those rakes if you do any legitimate arpeggio sweeping which unfortunately, most people don't know the difference between a sweep sequence and sweeping an arpeggio. Arpeggios are intended to be swept one direction from the root note then the opposing direction to return to the root note. Granted it's an actual arpeggio not a sweep pattern.
So say you only sweep one direction and ascend into the piece, well you've just performed a rake regardless of whether you are hitting an arpeggio or "sweep" pattern. You raked one direction rather than sweeping in two. So most guys are not only not playing arpeggios but they're rake picking rather than sweep picking.

So to finally answer your question, those are just really lame pick slides/scrapes. He's scraping his pick down the strings, hurrah!
Rakes aren't sweep arpeggios. Sounds like one guitarist is doing the harmonic rake thing, while the other plays a chord in a fashion that isn't lame at all. Hurrah!
groph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 06:26 AM   #17
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by groph View Post
Rakes aren't sweep arpeggios. Sounds like one guitarist is doing the harmonic rake thing, while the other plays a chord in a fashion that isn't lame at all. Hurrah!
A rake is playing half the arpeggio be it an up stroke or down stroke to transition into the rest of the piece. Did you not understand a single thing I explained??
Stupid question, you clearly did not!

Sweeping is back and forth, raking is a single directional stroke.
Arpeggios on the other hand well, easily half the time someone plays a sweep they aren't actually playing an arpeggio as they so ignorantly believe. We can thank people like Rusty Cooley for this stupidity. A chord, scale and arpeggio are kindred to one another because they contain the same note content however, using a really wide stretch to play notes of an arpeggio that are on 2 strings in it's true form so you can reduce them to a single string and it's now no longer an arpeggio. You've now switched to the scale form and are simply sweep picking it for the sound and speed.

I watch videos from guys like Cooley a few times a year, they constantly call what they're doing a sweep and an arpeggio but it rarely ever is, It's usually a raked scale or a swept scale that simply contains the note content of arpeggio but the content in it's entirety and structure is actually just a scale they are sweeping or raking.

When you play a true arpeggio, it doesn't have the blurred, smeared sound of sweeping/raking a scale.
Unread 12-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #18
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
this is another members video. first one is at 0:39

jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #19
ss.org Regular

So this is YET another forum where no independent thought or cynicism is allowed. Just nod and smile right?
I'm sharing my opinions and knowledge, if you don't like it, then don't read it but don't sit there and tell me what to do. It's people like you that do not believe in freedom and feel positive emotions and compassion are the only acceptable attitudes.

You do NOT believe in freedom when you insist contrary opinions or negative feedback is attitude and unacceptable. I'm so disgusted by every forum I visit where it's just this endless sea of posts where guys praise one another about crap they bought or something they decided.

It's morons like this that call everyone "bro" and believe in synthetic equality rather than actual equality which means letting people say, think and do what makes them them.
Unread 12-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #20
Real. Groggy. Human.

lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
^If you've had issues with so many forums, do you ever think the problem might lie within yourself? You can have your own argument or differing opinion, but the problem people are most likely having with your arguments are the WAY you put them forth, your tact. Showing a little humility goes a long way toward basic interactions and having meaningful, civil discussions.
lobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #21
ss.org Regular

jl_killer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobee View Post
^If you've had issues with so many forums, do you ever think the problem might lie within yourself? You can have your own argument or differing opinion, but the problem people are most likely having with your arguments are the WAY you put them forth, your tact. Showing a little humility goes a long way toward basic interactions and having meaningful, civil discussions.
Well said. *smiles and nods*

Unread 12-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #22
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
As soon as I saw this thread I KNEW it'd be Gojira
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #23
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDeath View Post
You do NOT believe in freedom when you insist contrary opinions or negative feedback is attitude and unacceptable.
Criticism and dissenting opinions are completely acceptable. Being an ass isn't, and you seem to have issues with knowing where that line is. You've been warned, you've been banned once, and now you're warned again. Next time it's a much longer nap. Learn to disagree without being a jerk about it.

There is no freedom here - this is a private forum where the rules are enforced. If you have a problem with that, then you can leave.

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote