homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

View Poll Results: 1
1 8 44.44%
1 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #151
SS.org Regular

Skin Coffin is a glorious beacon of lightSkin Coffin is a glorious beacon of lightSkin Coffin is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibz_rg View Post
Since I have never played either, I have to go with a choice of collective knowledge and aesthetics. Obviously the Agile will be more versatile. LFR, Dual Actives, and a longer scale. Not to say the longer scale will add any playing benefits other than note clarity. But the COW is very limited in its abilities. Single EMG, TOM bridge. That's about all it has to offer. Neither would be a bad choice, but I would go with the 727.
isn't the quality a very important factor? I mean, the Interceptor is Korean and the COW is Japanese, isn't it? Also, regarding I prefer TOMs to trems and I can get the COW cheaper, do you think the COW is the best option for me? Also, the Agile has a LFR.. Thanks
Skin Coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #152
ss.org Regular

svartablixten is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dean rc7x vs Jackson slat3-7

Hey!

I own a Dean rc7x wich is my only 7-string, but I need to get a new one since i need two on every gig. I like the Dean guitar thou, the neck is great and i love the EMG:s, but it would make me more satisfied to have another one, instead of just buying the same guitar in a different color. You probably know what i mean!

How is the Jackson slat3-7 compared to the Dean? I seem to like bolt-on necks, but on the other hand i've read so many good things about the Jackson's neck and I've played some jackson 6-strings that i really enjoyed.

It's hard to find the Jackson slat3-7 here in Sweden so please help me out if you can!

Play fast, life is short
svartablixten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 03:19 AM   #153
Hasta la vista, Baby

Emperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by svartablixten View Post
Hey!

I own a Dean rc7x wich is my only 7-string, but I need to get a new one since i need two on every gig. I like the Dean guitar thou, the neck is great and i love the EMG:s, but it would make me more satisfied to have another one, instead of just buying the same guitar in a different color. You probably know what i mean!

How is the Jackson slat3-7 compared to the Dean? I seem to like bolt-on necks, but on the other hand i've read so many good things about the Jackson's neck and I've played some jackson 6-strings that i really enjoyed.

It's hard to find the Jackson slat3-7 here in Sweden so please help me out if you can!
Jackson: Thicker neck (anything is thicker than a RC7x neck ), bigger frets, compound 12-16" radius, rosewood board and worse neck access (again, anything has worse access than a RC7x), same pickups and bridge.

They're very, very comfortable guitars. You may try to look for a 6-string SLAT and try it out. It can be much easier to find and it's essentialy the same guitar with a string missing.
Emperoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #154
ss.org Regular

suwey_666 is on a distinguished road
LTD MH-417 VS Schecter Diamond Hellraiser C-7

I'm looking at these 2 guitars. The ESP looks good but I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and pay the extra for the Schecter which is a ....ing beauty? Anyone had experience with both of these guitars?
Also as a cheap affordable guitar does anyone have an opinion on the Ibanez RGA7? Don't know if I can trust Ibanez pickups! Basically looking for a good value fixed bridge 7.
Any advice will be much appreciated
Cheers
suwey_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #155
Gear Fetish Boy

syndrone can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 MN Black Flame or Agile Interceptor Pro 727 EB Black Flame?

i will probably get both if they convince me, but for now, i dont know:

Agile Interceptor Pro 725 MN Black Flame at RondoMusic.com

that beauty with maple OMG zOMG!111!
25.5" because i think 27" over 7 is too much to start with although i have a baritone 6 string. (i think because of the new string that make stretches longer too)

or should i get.. this beauty?:

Agile Interceptor Pro 727 EB Black Flame at RondoMusic.com

zOMG!1! hahaha

need help, i always LOVED to have a maple fretboard, dunno why... i have only ebony or rosewood fretboards on all other guitars.
but thats why i always wanted a PGM Ibanez.. so cool!

but the other one is just badass and evil looking with the ebony fretboard.

now: me stupid cannot get more stupid?
ok doesnt work. but i still cannot decide ..

advantages / disadvantages of maple? does it have lack on it or get dirty fast or so?

thanks!

and ps: Technomancer, sorry for posting in the wrong threads !

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________

"syndrone gets a day for being a snippy bitch while necrobumping. go whine on facebook or ultimate guitar" yay =D

btw, my name is syndroNe with "N!". for the 24th time.
syndrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #156
surrounded by chairs

groph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknorrishred View Post
alright max i got one for you

im looking into these right here

ESP Standard Eclipse II Guitar | ESP Electric Guitars at zZounds

or

Gibson Les Paul Standard Guitar at zZounds

or

Gibson Les Paul Studio Guitar at zZounds

im sure u can see im looking into getting a les paul but with the "hit or miss bull shit" gibsons been doing im not sure if i shoul go with the gibson. id love to get a 59 reissue but if the build ends up being shit, .... that.

maybe u can school me on gibson a lil with your first hand experience. i personally think gibsons kick ass but from what ive been reading their quality control is shit. if thats tru, do u think im better off with the esp?

i'll be going on a "GAS" shopping spree soon cuz a landed a pretty good job so cash is no issue.
An ESP Standard Eclipse was the nicest guitar I've ever played. To me, they're a more playable Les Paul. I find Les Pauls to be very playable, too. I'd go with the ESP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperor_black View Post
Considering

BC Rich Mark Rizzo VS Ibanez XPT707 (neck-wise)

I've played lot of Ibanez's and while I do think Wizard II necks are a bit too thin, I've never played any BC rich guitar except for probably some low-end BC rich in a guitar center. If the neck profile on the Rizzo is somewhat similar to my Schecter blackjack, I'd be sold on that one.
The low end B.C. Rich guitars are crap like any other low end guitar so obviously don't make any judgments based on those. I had a Bronze Warlock as my starter guitar and after a while the neck cramped my hand. I had an Ibanez RG7321 and loved the neck, but grew tired of the square shouldered feel of the Wizard neck. I don't mind the thin-ness of them, but I prefer slim, rounded necks like on ESP/LTD's, Jackson, and some Gibsons. I have an old Platinum Warlock now, and while its neck is fairly chunky, it's still comfortable. I don't really know what the necks are like on their higher end new guitars but I'm pretty much certain they're nothing like Ibanez necks. It might be similar to your Blackjack. I tried a Hellraiser once and the neck felt enormous and unplayable, and I tried an Omen 7 string and the neck felt really slim for whatever reason. My guess is that the B.C. Rich neck would be somewhat similar to the Schecter
groph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #157
Gear Fetish Boy

syndrone can only hope to improve
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 EB Black Flame or Ibanez RG1527 Prestige on ebay?

the Japan made Ibanez has Bareknuckle pickups (warpig and painkiller), the tremolo is a edge pro 7 with a big brass block (to increase sustain), the price he asks now is 530 USD/400 EUR, but there are 2 days left (but np to get that thing i guess haha). incl. case!

the Agile, still dunno which one, maybe 25.5".. anyways, would need to be shipped to Europe and will be around 1200 USD in the end (max). incl. case!

what would you suggest me? i love the Agile`s look and the neck-through construction. the Ibanez is a bolt on.

HELP ME DECIDE FAST PLEASE hahaha ;D

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________

"syndrone gets a day for being a snippy bitch while necrobumping. go whine on facebook or ultimate guitar" yay =D

btw, my name is syndroNe with "N!". for the 24th time.
syndrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #158
SS.org Regular

horacexgrant will become famous soon enough
Hi guys, this is my first post here. I think this forum is right up my alley because I need a 7 string guitar because of my influences from Dream Theater, and other prog metal and neoclassical shenanigans.

I know this has been talked about before, but I would like fresh opinions please. S7420 vs. RG1527M.

Which one has more bang for the buck. $700 vs. $1200.

Is the $500 more worth it? I do also need to upgrade my amp, pedal, etc. so the extra money would help. But 7 string guitar is my number 1 priority.

What are the differences between the 2? Why is Prestige more expensive and how does it affect actual tone and performance?

I do indeed need a big time tremelo for tricks and downward bends, so that is important.

I shred a lot, and my hands are medium sized, so I need a thin neck and great frets/neck for shredding. If there are any other suggestions for 7 strings along these lines, please do tell.

Also, one of my biggest guitar dilemmas, if you would be so kind as to help:

I need that great metal/shred tone ala John Petrucci, Michael Romeo, etc.
HOW DOES ONE OBTAIN THIS TONE? I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR YEARS AND CAN'T GET THE RIGHT COMBINATION OF GUITAR/PEDAL/AMP. haha
So far, the best tone I've gotten for shred/metal is a crappy Zoom pedal with the metal/shred sounding preset connected to an old Crate amp.

If you guys can help me out with any of these topics, I would greatly appreciate it. I would prefer the advice of expert shredders/metal players in the prog metal genre. Thanks a lot.
horacexgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #159
ss.org Regular

king_cooley is headed in the right direction.
Which seven string is better(GOD)?

Heil
i want buy new seven string
please help me
which seven string is better
1.esp horizon fr7

2.dean rc7g

3.jackson slat3-7

4.ernie ball music man bfr7 (john petrucci)
king_cooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #160
ss.org Regular

mariotorrone is on a distinguished road
ESP Viper-417 vs Ibanez RG1527Z

Hi all!
I'm new to seven strings and I'm planning to buy a new guitar. After looking for a guitar that suited me best, I found these two models: the ESP Viper-417 and the Ibanez RG1527Z. Which one should I buy?
Imo, I prefer the Ibanez because of the presence of the tremolo (I don't have a guitar with a tremolo and I want to try out one), but I've heard that Floyd Rose bridges have some tuning issues on seven string guitars and this is making me uncertain of the purchase.
As regards the pickups, in case of purchasing the Ibanez I'd probably switch the original ones with some DiMarzio pickups: I'm very interested in the Petrucci ones, you know, the Crunchlab 7 and Liquifire 7. What do you think? Shoud I go for it?
Thanks!
mariotorrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #161
ss.org Regular

Kollias is on a distinguished road
Hi guys.My budget "allows" me to choose between:Ibanez RG7321;Cort Evl Z47,Schecter diamond series,B.C.Rich Warlock N7.
I'm such a beginner (i mainly play drums),so can you tell me if there are differences between choose models,if they sound a lot different from each other,or if they are pretty similar and all I have to do is choosing by their look? Thanks
Kollias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #162
ss.org Regular

Nealios is on a distinguished road
What kind of music are you going to be playing, are you going to do some drop tuning, and what kind of sound are you going for?

But of those three, I'd probably pick the Ibanez and switch out the pickups, or save up a little more and pick up a schecter damien elite.
Nealios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 01:18 AM   #163
DTP Junkie

Apotheose is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, I've been lurking around here for a while - so I figured its about time I asked for some input.

I'm planning on finally pulling the trigger on a 7, and I've boiled it down to either a Schecter Loomis or one of those 27" Agile Interceptors with Duncan Blackouts.

Agile keeps pulling me in with the price tag and the sheer amount of people who praise Agile here haha, but I hear damn good things about the Loomis - and plus I'm a die hard, crazy Nevermore fan.

I guess the real question is, is the Loomis worth the extra two or three hundred bucks?

Anyone have any insight that could prove useful? Thanks
Apotheose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #164
The kid

johnythehero is a jewel in the rough
schecter diamond series scorpion (not the hellraiser series) for 300$.
The specs are intresting as one place said neckthrough with mahagony body and neck and another said bolt on neck basswood body . Its 27" inch scale, rosewood finger board, duncan designed pickups, graphite nut grover tuners, string through, yada yada yada.
VS
ltd vb 400 baritone for around 400$
* SET NECK CONSTRUCTION. * 27” BARITONE SCALE. * MAHOGANY BODY. * 3-PIECE MAPLE NECK. * ROSEWOOD FINGERBOARD. * DOT INLAYS W/MODEL NAME AT 12TH FRET. * EMG 81 (B) / 85 (N) ACTIVE PICKUPS. * VOLUME & TONE CONTROLS W/3-WAY TOGGLE. * BLACK HARDWARE. * GROVER TUNERS. *

I kinda want a neck thats a tad bit rounder than an ibby and thicker so take that into consideration as well.

"fjwsr023354r3rtnwefg34jwr=23rj23f=23rjgmw3r=23rjv m sxdjdfify9rtyjwejwerif"-Randy
johnythehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #165
SS.org Regular

WickedSymphony is just really niceWickedSymphony is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_cooley View Post
Heil
i want buy new seven string
please help me
which seven string is better
1.esp horizon fr7
2.dean rc7g
3.jackson slat3-7
4.ernie ball music man bfr7 (john petrucci)
As an owner of an RC7G, I can definitely tell you that it's one hell of a guitar. It's absolutely amazing for metal, and the neck is super thin and fast - easily the best I've ever played. With that said, you could take a look at the RC7 Mahogany since they're extremely similar (both USA made so build quality should be the same, though I've only got experience with the RC7G) and get one of those AND an slat3-7

That said, the BFR is also an incredible guitar. Probably less of a pure shred machine than the RC7 (though still very much capable for that), and will suit you more if you like a lot of nice clean sounds and are not a fan of actives(though from your other options, I'd guess you are ). I think it would be good advice to go between that and the RC7, but it depends on what type of music you want to play and which one feels more comfortable in your hands.
WickedSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #166
ss.org Regular

TridentChaos will become famous soon enough
Schecter ATX C-8 vs Agile Interceptor 827 vs Agile Intrepid 828

Schecter ATX C-8 vs Agile Interceptor 827 vs Agile Intrepid 828!!!

Im a lefty and as my first 8 string these are my choices,
and i just cant bloody decide! i cant try out any as there are none in ireland
so im relying on ur expertise and advice for my choices!

at the moment i play an Ibanez RG and a custom strat, so neck wise
i love the thick strat neck and and the thin ibanez neck also,
i play metal and jazz. so id like a bright clear crisp distortion and
also depth and warmth for jazzy tones ( is this acheivable without a neck pickup on the intrepid? is the ATX too 'metal' for playing different styles? )

anybody notice a huge different between bolt on and neck thru models?

also does anybody know what are the delivery times are to europe?
cheers lads and ladies!!!!!
TridentChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #167
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I personally would go with the Intrepid.

Being a jazz/metal player myself, unless you have a really good EQ and a very warm amp, a neck pickup is needed for jazz--the warm clean tones that is. That said, Holdsworth doesn't need a neck pickup, why do I?

They DO make Intrepid 828 Duals, featuring two pickups.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #168
TMM
UUDDLRLRBAStart

TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 59 reviews
I'd personally go with the Schecter - I've tried out both the C-8 ATX and the Intrepid, and the Schecter blows the Agile away in terms of build quality. I can't imagine the Interceptor would be any different. The neck Blackout in the C-8 ATX should be adequate in getting you good, warm, tasty jazz tones. Beyond having a neck pickup, I think most of the rest of the tone is in your amp / rig / fingers.
TMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #169
The kid

johnythehero is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnythehero View Post
schecter diamond series scorpion (not the hellraiser series) for 300$.
The specs are intresting as one place said neckthrough with mahagony body and neck and another said bolt on neck basswood body . Its 27" inch scale, rosewood finger board, duncan designed pickups, graphite nut grover tuners, string through, yada yada yada.
VS
ltd vb 400 baritone for around 400$
* SET NECK CONSTRUCTION. * 27” BARITONE SCALE. * MAHOGANY BODY. * 3-PIECE MAPLE NECK. * ROSEWOOD FINGERBOARD. * DOT INLAYS W/MODEL NAME AT 12TH FRET. * EMG 81 (B) / 85 (N) ACTIVE PICKUPS. * VOLUME & TONE CONTROLS W/3-WAY TOGGLE. * BLACK HARDWARE. * GROVER TUNERS. *

I kinda want a neck thats a tad bit rounder than an ibby and thicker so take that into consideration as well.

"fjwsr023354r3rtnwefg34jwr=23rj23f=23rjgmw3r=23rjv m sxdjdfify9rtyjwejwerif"-Randy
johnythehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #170
SS.org Regular

mrlespaulman will become famous soon enough
Question Ibanez VS Agile?

I have an Ibanez S520EX That I'm thinking about selling towards an Agile 7.

Good or bad idea? How well do the Agile 7's compare to the Ibby in terms of playabilty and feel?

Like prog-rock with real singing and catchy riffs?
Check out Eden Regained!
http://www.facebook.com/edenregained
http://www.youtube.com/user/edenregained
mrlespaulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #171
SS.org Regular

Hendog will become famous soon enough
I dont own an Agile but the gloss neck and the lack of a forearm contour are the 2 things holding me back. My Ibanez 7 has both a forearm contour and a satin neck. Wonderful playability.
Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #172
Death Metal™

cwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of lightcwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of lightcwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendog View Post
I dont own an Agile but the gloss neck and the lack of a forearm contour are the 2 things holding me back. My Ibanez 7 has both a forearm contour and a satin neck. Wonderful playability.

you can always turn it into a satin neck guitar

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

cwhitey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #173
ss.org Regular

mariotorrone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariotorrone View Post
Hi all!
I'm new to seven strings and I'm planning to buy a new guitar. After looking for a guitar that suited me best, I found these two models: the ESP Viper-417 and the Ibanez RG1527Z. Which one should I buy?
Imo, I prefer the Ibanez because of the presence of the tremolo (I don't have a guitar with a tremolo and I want to try out one), but I've heard that Floyd Rose bridges have some tuning issues on seven string guitars and this is making me uncertain of the purchase.
As regards the pickups, in case of purchasing the Ibanez I'd probably switch the original ones with some DiMarzio pickups: I'm very interested in the Petrucci ones, you know, the Crunchlab 7 and Liquifire 7. What do you think? Shoud I go for it?
Thanks!
mariotorrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #174
Eels, up inside yaaa

I Voyager is a jewel in the rough
Agile vs. LTD

Hey guys, I'm looking into getting my very first 7 string guitar. My top two choices would be the Agile Septor Elite 725 and the LTD MH-417. Now I haven't had any experience with either guitar, but I've played LTDs before and like them quite a bit. I'm just curious about overall quality. The Agile definitely has better parts (Hipshot, Ebony board, Blackouts are about equal to EMGs), but for all I know the LTD is built better. So if you guys could give me some more info/advice, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #175
SS.org Regular

Skin Coffin is a glorious beacon of lightSkin Coffin is a glorious beacon of lightSkin Coffin is a glorious beacon of light
Carvin DC747 vs Ibanez RG7620/1527

The Carvin is Alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, HSH, fixed bridge, tung oiled neck. The Ibanez are well known, RG7620, 1527, probably some other japanese models like K7 or something, In your opinion, which is the best choice?

Cheers!
Skin Coffin is offline   Reply With Quote