homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

View Poll Results: 1
1 8 44.44%
1 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #426
ss.org Regular

habba1 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice!

How do you find your s470dxqm?

By the way, I went surfing thorugh forums just now and realised something. Apparently, (as quoted from the forum) the ZR tremelo is made out of cheap material and is very fragile. This is what the opinion said: "Although I've got a ZR, go with the FR. Not many people know about this, but the piece that secures in the tremolo is made of cheap plastic, and it's very easy to break. I broke mine and had to replace it (And the trem bar) with OFR pieces, which took mucho modding. Just go with the OFR." On top of this, quite a few people who owned a Ibanez S series with the ZR tremelo agreed with this. However, they had their own methods of "maintaining it" from breaking. This makes me doubt the durablity of the ZR.

Fortunately, it was mentioned that this problem has been solved in the new ZR2, though I hope it does not turn to be something like the edge III. Apparenty, the ZR2 tremelos are only installed in the prestige S series. So i believe the prices are going to go up by quite alot as compared to the s470.

What are your views to this?

Thanks
habba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #427
SS.org Regular

mountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by habba1 View Post
Nice!

How do you find your s470dxqm?

By the way, I went surfing thorugh forums just now and realised something. Apparently, (as quoted from the forum) the ZR tremelo is made out of cheap material and is very fragile. This is what the opinion said: "Although I've got a ZR, go with the FR. Not many people know about this, but the piece that secures in the tremolo is made of cheap plastic, and it's very easy to break. I broke mine and had to replace it (And the trem bar) with OFR pieces, which took mucho modding. Just go with the OFR." On top of this, quite a few people who owned a Ibanez S series with the ZR tremelo agreed with this. However, they had their own methods of "maintaining it" from breaking. This makes me doubt the durablity of the ZR.

Fortunately, it was mentioned that this problem has been solved in the new ZR2, though I hope it does not turn to be something like the edge III. Apparenty, the ZR2 tremelos are only installed in the prestige S series. So i believe the prices are going to go up by quite alot as compared to the s470.

What are your views to this?

Thanks
I have no idea what you are refering to. Im looking ar the zr right now in person, and see no cheap plastic. Im at a loss here. There seems to be alot of hate online towards the zr, but its unwarranted. And while I don't play it anymore, im only playing 7's these days, its my choice 6 string. But obviouly a prestige would be better. I should also mention before I got the s470 back in the day, I was playing a prs ce22, which I gladly sold after I first played a saber. Im sure alot of people would call that a horrible choice, but my playing took off once I did, and improved tremendously faster. Its a very user friendly guitar.
mountainjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #428
SS.org Regular

mountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud of
Take that back...there is some plastic where the tremelo arm slides in, but I played the guitar for 4 years with out a problem. Just because some random dude broke one, doesn't mean anything. Anything and everything is prone to failure when misused.
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #429
bangetzit

TheSixthWheel is a name known to allTheSixthWheel is a name known to allTheSixthWheel is a name known to allTheSixthWheel is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Ohh ok cool!

@TheSixthWheel No offence meant dude. was just asking

Lastly, I agree. I need to try the guitar first before knowing the neck. I have tried a fender strat recently and I felt the neck quite comfortable. Is that thickness comparable to the horizon?

Thanks
I took no offense from what you were saying, and I hope you took none from what I was saying. Good on you for wanting to learn more about the products you're contemplating purchasing.

Oh, I think a fender strat neck could often be thicker than an ESP Horizon. I know nothing about Fender though, so you might have to wait til someone else answers that one.

"If you really believe that death leads to eternal bliss, then why are you wearing a seatbelt?" - Doug Stanhope.
Stop killing man. Start killing god.
TheSixthWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #430
ss.org Regular

Ok Cool!

Anyways, I just phoned my local dealer and he said that, the new s470's come in with ZR 2. So Im going to try it out this wednesday(singapore time).

Haha yeah. Thats one unlucky dude.

For the horizon, I still will have to wait for a month, in other words in april (which sucks) to try the guitar.

I will get back to you guys after trying the s470. By the way, the s470 retails for about USD$950. Do you think thats worth it?

Thanks
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #431
ss.org Regular

By the way, whats the difference between a 3pc wizard II neck and 5pc wizard II neck?

Thanks
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #432
SS.org Regular

I think msrp is $950, but they typically go for around $650.
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #433
ss.org Regular

Ohh ok thats good news

However, I just realised something. The s470 is a 22frets guitar.

Now I am looking at a s570 or s770fm for a mod for the ibanez option.

I am looking for a 24 fret guitar.

Whats your advice?

Thanks
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #434
SS.org Regular

Now that I think about it, the s570 replaced the 470, and has 24 frets
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #435
ss.org Regular

jdj8282 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ibanes s series

if necks and trems are the big concern, make certain to try a s prestige model. itll blow the standard line away in terms of neck finish and playability everytime. i own both standard series and prestige s models, and the style is all i play practically. i do own others, however they sit alone and get no play since i got into the s series. the prestige will be on par with esp standard series, and feel (imo) better than the esp, albeit very different.
jdj8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #436
ss.org Regular

Ohh I see.

How does the normal s series fare against the prestige s series? Because over here. the pretige s series cost about $2200 whereas the s series cost about $1000. So I want to know if this jump in in price is equal to the quality?

On top of that, the bridges I heard are the same. Both uses a ZP2. apparently all the s series that comes in now is equipped with a ZP2.

Please advise.

Thanks
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #437
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Ohh I see.

How does the normal s series fare against the prestige s series? Because over here. the pretige s series cost about $2200 whereas the s series cost about $1000. So I want to know if this jump in in price is equal to the quality?

On top of that, the bridges I heard are the same. Both uses a ZP2. apparently all the s series that comes in now is equipped with a ZP2.

Please advise.

Thanks
the prestige is made in japan, where ibanez is based, with a hand crafted neck. The non prestige is made in indonesia, but all cnc, so there isn't any room for error. If you can afford it, you will have more pride playing the prestige, but either way, both nice guitars
Unread 02-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #438
ss.org Regular

So in other words, the difference is quite minimal? Its like squir vs fender/ ltd vs esp?

Yeah. $2200 is a little over my budget. haha

Thanks
Unread 02-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #439
BlackByPopularDemand

aleXander is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
It doesn't seem like you needed to make this thread then if you already decided on the S lol

Check out my new band ClockWork
Debut track will be out soon!

ClockWork Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ClockWork/183811201665419

aleXander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #440
ss.org Regular

Because I think I have gathered enough theoratical opinions on the ESP horizon and whats left for me is trying it out. However, I can't try it out yet so I will wait till its available at my local shop to try it out.

So now, I just want to gather more information about the S series since, due to my mistake, I did not realise that the s470 is a 22 fret guitar. Sorry. So now I'm looking at the s570, s770fm and the s5470 prestige. Thus, I will like to know if the difference of more than 2 times in the pricing between the s570 and s5470 is worth it or not.

Rest assured, I will try out both guitars and get back to you guys with my personal opinions on them

Thanks
Unread 03-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #441
Guitar Whore

Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.
Jackson Rhoads vs King V vs Warrior Vs Kelly?

I been looking into these shapes lately and been wondering if I should pick on of them up since they all LOOK great, but in terms of playability comfort, which one seems to be the best for those who have played them?

Note the only Jacksons I have really played are soloists and dinkies and they all play great.
Church2224 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #442
O.o

morbider is a jewel in the rough
I have a RR24 and a Demmelition King V.

IMO the Rhoads is slightly easier to play when sat down, but there's hardly any difference when you're stood up.

I'd just go with what shape you like most, providing they're all roughly the same spec!
morbider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #443
Poland CEO / RHLC

Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.
I am a big Jackson fan, but when playability is the main concern... IMO the best would be the Warrior. You can play on it while sitting like on a "dinky" or it fits really well in the "classical" "v" position.

While standing, especially during solos, the body shape, "horns" lets you "block" the guitar with your legs and play solos without any problems. (of course it can be done on a KV and I think RR also.. but rather not on a kelly...

Now I have superstrats , and after playing on a ML shape, I had to relearn how to play solos while standing on superstrats LOL.

All are great, all look great, but I's go with the Warrior

S7Figures.DeviantArt.com - Metal Figures!
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #444
SS.org Regular

Tranquilliser is a jewel in the rough
I have an RR, and it's really easy to play both sitting and standing, all you need to do is whack the fins either side of your right leg.
Tranquilliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #445
Thundercrafter

Dead Undead is just really niceDead Undead is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Warrior. IMHO, They're the most comfortable.
But they're Jacksons, so really can't go wrong with any of them.
Dead Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #446
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just don't go with the JS or RX series, as they tend to be Headstock heavy.

Make a rule where, who ever messes up gets punched in the face.

That is how I run my solo project. - Floppystrings

O GREAT now your gonna tell me theres no Great Shred Doughnut,who delivers strings and picks to all the good shredders on yngwies birthday... - mr_rainmaker

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search word!
CYBERSYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #447
Guitar Whore

Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYBERSYN View Post
Just don't go with the JS or RX series, as they tend to be Headstock heavy.
That was what I was really worried about. I played a few of those and you are right they are.

But I am going with a USA Select or higher end pro Series. So all is good.
Church2224 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #448
SS.org Regular

wildchild is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Schecter atx 8 VS Ibanez RGA8

These are the 2 8 strings I am considering
What I like about them
Schecter atx 8 SD blackouts, satin finish, hipshot bridge

Ibanez 27 scale, locking nut on the fx bridge, price is much cheaper than the schecter

Do both of these guitars not come with any case?
I heard some really bad stories about the ibanez or is that the rg2228?
I am based in EU so there is a difference of 300euros between them

Give me your thoughts and opinions or your personal preferences
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #449
ss.org Regular

saovi will become famous soon enough
Try each and see which is the best fit for you. The Hellraiser is where I ended up with two Lundgren M8s installed aftermarket but you could easily do the same with the Damion Elite or the Ibanez models. Good luck.

SaOvI | mUsIc
saovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #450
SS.org Regular

geofreesun is just really nicegeofreesun is just really nice
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
actually this is a thread i want to see as well though ppl natural dislike 'vs' threads. i already hav an intrepid 828 but it's dominated by maple wood sounds, being neck thru. so i am wondering how these guitars would sound like (schecter being setneck, ibanez bolton, the main body is mahogany), and how the different scale lengths come into play. ppl say 26.5 is too short for F# but if 27 is good enough, why not 26.5?
geofreesun is offline   Reply With Quote