homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Arteriorrhexis is just really niceArteriorrhexis is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6 or 8? .... Or 7?

Ok so I was thinking of selling my guitar. I have an ESP 608b and I'm really starting to hate the way it feels.

And I was planning to use the money from that to buy one of the 3

Ibanez S Series Electric Guitar wTremolo Assorted Colors | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

Ibanez S7420 S Series 7 String Electric Guitar | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

OR

Ibanez RGA8BK RGA 8 String Electric Guitar | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

What would you guys recommend?
Arteriorrhexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
The Shipman Project

Vinnydude has a spectacular aura about
I would personally go for the guitar that you want.
Vinnydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

I want all three, so that doesn't help out too much
Unread 10-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

blister7321 is a jewel in the rough
well if you hate the 8 id say the s7420
blister7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Guitar Popcicle

AK DRAGON is just really niceAK DRAGON is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Don't buy anything until you have tested it out in your hands. Go to the stores and check them out. Buyers remorse is a bitch!
AK DRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
I'd go for the S series, the RGA8 is a bit more of a fixer-upper. You'd need new pickups and rewiring a bit etc.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Yeah, I wasn't planning on buying online I figure that'd be a pretty big mistake.
Unread 10-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

dnoel86 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arteriorrhexis View Post
Yeah, I wasn't planning on buying online I figure that'd be a pretty big mistake.
If you can try it out and find out you like it and then snag one online for cheaper than what your local music store charges, why wouldn't you?

Also, for the love of god, get a guitar with an original wizard neck. The wizard 2 feels like a cheap imitation, IMO. The shoulders are huge and clunky, and the back is super flat...feels really uncomfortable to me, kind of like playing an oar. The original wizard necks have that nice rounded profile while still being super thin (thinner than the wizard 2 by 2-3mm). Try a prestige neck and then see if you can play a wizard 2 ever again. I certainly can't
dnoel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

bigchocolateman is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoel86 View Post
If you can try it out and find out you like it and then snag one online for cheaper than what your local music store charges, why wouldn't you?

Also, for the love of god, get a guitar with an original wizard neck. The wizard 2 feels like a cheap imitation, IMO. The shoulders are huge and clunky, and the back is super flat...feels really uncomfortable to me, kind of like playing an oar. The original wizard necks have that nice rounded profile while still being super thin (thinner than the wizard 2 by 2-3mm). Try a prestige neck and then see if you can play a wizard 2 ever again. I certainly can't
I agree with this 100%.
If you are going to go the Ibanez route check out prestiges used or older models. I have an old rg550 and I love it, but anytime I pick up a newer ibby with the wizard II I can't stand the way it feels. Its best if you can try them out though and find what you want.
bigchocolateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

Well I'm mostly looking for an s series cause I've wanted one for so long, and mostly a 7 string.
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

bigchocolateman is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arteriorrhexis View Post
Well I'm mostly looking for an s series cause I've wanted one for so long, and mostly a 7 string.
In that case then, the best thing to do is try to find somehow to try one out. Even if you have to drive a bit, because it is a lot better then getting a guitar that you don't like.
bigchocolateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchocolateman View Post
In that case then, the best thing to do is try to find somehow to try one out. Even if you have to drive a bit, because it is a lot better then getting a guitar that you don't like.
The good thing is I know where I can get one... I think.

There's a Samash close by that had one and I loved it, just needed a little work on it but I'll check it out again
Unread 10-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

waynesworld91 is on a distinguished road
What do you think you'll be playing with it? If you don't think you'll be doing a lot of low low rhythms, you're probably better off with a 7. It's hard to find guitarists that can utilize an 8 properly besides just doing super low riffs. A 7 is a great move on from the 6. I'd like to find more guitarists and listen to their songs of something more expanded than a really low 8 riff, something like Tosin Abasi's riffs, man he's a real guitarist! By the way, I've tried the first guitar in your links and have to say, the tap-ability on that is amazing! I've got a JP7 and I do have to say that the tightness of the Ibanez's string set has a really great feel when tapping and even just doing lots of picking. However I love my JP7 to death! Good luck on your buy!
waynesworld91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
Banned

aslsmm is just really niceaslsmm is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
honesltly i cant stand the s series. ive played a 7 string one and 2 6 string ones and the body just drives me insane. i like thicker heavy guitar body's though.
aslsmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
BlackByPopularDemand

aleXander is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
If youre goin' to be movin' from a 7 to an 8 in the future anyways I'd get the 8.
8 strings have built in 7 strings believe it or not

Check out my new band ClockWork
Debut track will be out soon!

ClockWork Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ClockWork/183811201665419

aleXander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

splinter8451 is a glorious beacon of lightsplinter8451 is a glorious beacon of lightsplinter8451 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Well since you have an 8 and are starting to hate how it feels then I'd get a 7. But I would go for an older Japanese made 7 rather then the new S... but the new S have 24 frets so if I were getting an S I'd have to get the newer model

So, get a 7 string. For what I am doing the 8 I had was too much and I am much happier with the 3 guitars I replaced it with

"And I want a blowjob from Emma Watson, but sometimes we just gotta deal with what we're given!" -The Armada

my youtube channel- http://www.youtube.com/user/vitreusMD?feature=mhum SikTh, Cyclamen After the Burial covers. More on the way!
splinter8451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter8451 View Post
Well since you have an 8 and are starting to hate how it feels then I'd get a 7. But I would go for an older Japanese made 7 rather then the new S... but the new S have 24 frets so if I were getting an S I'd have to get the newer model

So, get a 7 string. For what I am doing the 8 I had was too much and I am much happier with the 3 guitars I replaced it with
Haha I already made the decision
NGD - Ibanez S7420FMohgodyes
Unread 10-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #18
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoel86 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchocolateman View Post
I agree with this 100%.
If you are going to go the Ibanez route check out prestiges used or older models. I have an old rg550 and I love it, but anytime I pick up a newer ibby with the wizard II I can't stand the way it feels. Its best if you can try them out though and find what you want.
I agree completely with these statements. The shoulders on the Wizard II make it almost painful to play in any position other than the thumb resting dead-center on the back of the neck for me. On a side note, I love the Edge Zero trem, but many don't so definitely try them first to see what you like.

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote