homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:20 AM   #51
Banned

Self Bias will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is your scale length?
Self Bias is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #52
ss.org Regular

theblackratss has a spectacular aura about
theblackratss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:42 AM   #53
Banned

Go 74-60-48-36-24w-18-13. I go 72-58-46-36-24w-17-12 for F# and it sounds/plays well. You could try that for F standard but it may be a touch slack.
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #54
ss.org Regular

Ok, cheers.

Will i need to adjust the truss rod to compensate for the tension?
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #55
Banned

Possibly. I shoot for .010" neck relief. To be honest F is really pushing the limits for a standard scale guitar. Having said that, I have one in dropped D an octave down- that's an 80-haha.A little muddy.
Unread 10-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #56
ss.org Regular

Well i'm only having it in this tuning until i have learned a few songs and messed around with it for a while, maybe a few months.

If i really like it i will save for an 8 string
Unread 10-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #57
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Shouldn't be too bad tbh, I'd use your standard 7 string set, obviously don't use the top e, and put another string below thats about 0.010 to 0.012 bigger than your usual 7th string (in my case, .052, so I'd use a 0.064) and if you get the gauge about right you shouldn't have to adjust the truss rod because you're not actually putting any extra tension on the neck.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #58
Banned

Eric Christian is a jewel in the rough
If you get a 070 be mindful that only the first tapered portion will go into the tuning peg so you'll need to clip off the ball end short to wind it properly.
Eric Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #59
SS.org Regular

Peteus has a spectacular aura about
I guess most people don't use massive strings however if you like it to feel tight an 80 for a F# on a 28.645" (Agile most common 8 scale length) is really not that tight feeling!
Peteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #60
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Christian View Post
If you get a 070 be mindful that only the first tapered portion will go into the tuning peg so you'll need to clip off the ball end short to wind it properly.
It's a fixed bridge guitar..... The ball end will be at the back near the bridge. My local music store usually does decent gauge sttrings and i'm gonna take my guitar in while im buying to make sure they fit ok.
Unread 10-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #61
I AM AHAB!!!!

5656130 has a spectacular aura about
String gauges for 8 string

Hey im new hows it going anyways

I was wondering what a good string gauge would be for the damien 8 string for the first six string id like a 10-46 but after that im lost as to what the gauges should be on the b and f#Ill just keep it in the standard tuning
5656130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #62
ss.org Regular

iddqd is a jewel in the rough
Hi folks,

i want to put thicker strings on my schecter 7-string. The nut seems to fit exactly the original string gauge, so i wonder if there's something to consider first.

Any info is appreciated!
iddqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2010, 05:49 AM   #63
Banned

These 7 to 8 tuning ?s are surprisingly common. Funny how people come to the same conclusions independently. It was my idea dammit- haha. I haven't seen any of these string guage graphs, but from personal experience, going much thicker than a 72 or 74 can make it difficult to have an articulate response that one would normally associate with a guitar, at least for palm muted stuff. That lets me go to F# fairly easily, and F is just a little slack. But that's me. On a 25.5"er. An 80 @ E or lower sounds straight up twisted, but I don't use it for technical stuff. That's more of a doom-hippy thing.
FYI a 72 @ F# on 25.5 = 72 @ E,D, or Z on an appropriately lengthy scale. I don't know offhandedly how much longer a baritone guitar would have to be to have that fret that would take the place of the nut on a standard ax, but I do know the the open string would be a half step lower.
Unread 11-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #64
ss.org Regular

thisjanuary is on a distinguished road
String gauges for a 27" RGA8..

Okay so I've done some experimenting with tunings and gauges for the RGA8 I've had for about five months now. Decided to settle into the Tosin EBEADGBe stable.

Wondering what's ideal (not too flappy) for that sort of tuning on a 27". I can't remember what the stock strings on the RGA8 were, alas. I've currently got a 52-10 set with an additional low 58 and 66.. but that's tuned to Drop C# with a low G# and a lower D# below that.
thisjanuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #65
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
I'd go 9/42 + 56 + 85. It gives relatively even tensions and works perfectly for me.

Edit : You can also try 10/46 + 60 + 90 for the same feel with more tension.

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #66
Bald Bear

Tree is a glorious beacon of lightTree is a glorious beacon of lightTree is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
For standard tuning with a low E, and standard one half-step down I have been using 11-59 with a 72 for the low string, and it works perfectly for me. The 72 is a wee bit slack when compared to the other strings, but meh

Band:
Warforged

My SoundCloud:
ChristianTBerger

Hit me up for mixing/editing/digital reamps
Tree is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #67
SS.org Regular

Barney is on a distinguished road
I tune to EBEADGHE also and use this set:
9-42 for the regular 6, a 54 for the 7th and a 74 for the 8th.
I don't do any massive chugging, these sound fine to me and bending is also possible.
(Although I don't bend really often.)
The string tension is somewhere between a 9 set and 10 set on a 25.5 scale guitar.
(the regular 6)
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #68
The Shipman Project

Vinnydude has a spectacular aura about
You tune your 2nd string to an H???!!!

Thats incredible!!!
thatguy87 and Navid like this.
Vinnydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #69
SS.org Regular

Barney is on a distinguished road
LOL, Sorry. That's the ....ed up european name for B... everywhere in Europe where german music/teaching had influence B is called H and Bb is called B ... nonsense.
Not to mention that all the different altered notes have their own names.
English it better: A B C D E F G + sharps and flats. Thats it.
Oh! You will not believe this! Let's say: F## - that bastard has its own name too!
Complete BS!

So: EBEADGBE !!!!
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 05:18 AM   #70
ss.org Regular

thisjanuary is on a distinguished road
Okay I ordered a bevy of strings. I'm going to give a 9/42 set + 56 a go, but 85's a little too much for me (and probably for my tuners), so I've ordered a couple of 72s and a couple of 74s to try in there, if the E's too flappy I'll bring it back to F# and try thicker next time
thisjanuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #71
The Shipman Project

Vinnydude has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post
LOL, Sorry. That's the ....ed up european name for B... everywhere in Europe where german music/teaching had influence B is called H and Bb is called B ... nonsense.
Not to mention that all the different altered notes have their own names.
English it better: A B C D E F G + sharps and flats. Thats it.
Oh! You will not believe this! Let's say: F## - that bastard has its own name too!
Complete BS!

So: EBEADGBE !!!!
Holy shit, and i just thought it was a typo!!!

I'm so going to screw with peoples heads over that one! :P
Vinnydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #72
ss.org Regular

iddqd is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post
LOL, Sorry. That's the ....ed up european name for B... everywhere in Europe where german music/teaching had influence B is called H and Bb is called B ... nonsense.!
Indeed. As far as i know this is caused by bad handwriting, where a guy wrote the 'b' like an 'h'.
It took me some years to recognize it's a-b-c-d-e-f-g. That was really an eye-opener :-)
iddqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #73
Not So Kool-Aid

-One- is a jewel in the rough
Scale/gauge question for an odd tuning

I intend to purchase my first 8-string soon. I play in a djenty progressive grindcore band, in AEADGBE tuning. We want to start playing in DAEADGBE (as in D1AEADGBE). I intend to purchase an Agile semi-custom once the CS reopens, and I don't know what scale length to order. My current guitar is a 25.5" scale, and it sounds slightly muddy on the low A (but only slightly), so I'm worried about how a short scale 8-string would sound. What scale/string gauge would be optimal for that tuning, assuming I'm using a Kahler flatmount bridge?

"I wonder if Kurt rolls his eyes everytime we come up with a new idea. 'Oh no. Not ss.org, again. NOW WHAT?'" - I_infect
"For all we know is some super bass wizard the likes of which hasn't been seen since Gandalf invented the bass." - heavy7-665
-One- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #74
Baritone Funbags

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
30". Seriously. I wouldn't consider anything else, even for a low E.

Suggestions of gauges...
My preferences on a 25.5 7 string in drop A are a 10-48 and a 64.

If I were to get a 30" and tune it like you, I'd use a set of 009s or 0085s (difference between 8.5 and 8 gauge is quite significant).
For the A I'd use a 56, and an 80 for the low D.

Nice tuning choice, by the way.

EDIT: I say 30" due to my current experiences and preferences. Just like you I find 25.5 not too good for a low A. I'm currently tuning to G# with a 70. I find the tension of that matches very well with a 11-49 set. However the tone is awful - but I am willing to sacrifice tone for playability at the moment. Cant stand how floppy anything lower than say a 66 is in this tuning.
I'd want similar tension on an 8th string without using too high a gauge (because it impairs tone). But even then, 80 is quite a high gauge. I'd really want a 32" or so for something like a low D.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #75
Carpe Diem

Sponge is just really niceSponge is just really nice
EtherealEntity is right. You need to go with the 30 inch scale. The 28.625 inch scale wont cut it.

I tune down to DGDGDGBE and find that even that .85 gauge strings have a bit of a dive. A .90 gauge handles the low D very well and has tight response, but you also need to thicken up on the other strings as well to balance out the tone and EQ.

Hey, even though its ultra corny and ridiculous, I like watching Finding Bigfoot. At least there is nice scenery. Even Renee is a 7/10 in cottage country.
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote