homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree142Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:22 AM   #601
SS.orgLocalArchitect

crg123 is a name known to allcrg123 is a name known to allcrg123 is a name known to allcrg123 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Lightbulb Experiment: Gauges for Drop G on a 24.5" Scale, Possible??

Ok ok, I know I'm going to get attacked for this, but I figure it could be a fun test. First off, I love big strings, so that's no issue. Second of all, I wasn't sure where to put this because I'm talking about a 24.5" Scale 6 string PRS copy haha, so its not a baritone, but the range is of a baritone 7 haha.

Goal: I want to Tune all the way down to GGCFAD to play some sikth madness/ I love the sound of that tuning (I've used it on my friend's 7 string before), but here's where it gets interesting, I also want to guitar to be able to tune to CGCFAD. :/

So question, what gauges do I need for the lowest string in order to not destroy the neck when tuned to C and actually hold intonation/some sort of tension at G. I do love me some good tension, but for this experiment its not top priority. It can be loose, I just need it to intonate. Some of you are going to be like Wtf why don't you just use your 8 string, well... its my experiment :P. I have grover locking tuners so it wouldn't take to long to unwind the string to fit the tuning peg (which can fit a .062 max)

Right now my guitar has Ernie Ball Titanium not even slinkys: .056, .044, .032, .024p, .016, .012. With these gauges I can comfortably get down to A, but after that its way too loose. I've has a .060 DR on the top before and it was the same situation.

I figure it'd be cool to have that kind of range on my 6 string, Idk if it'll work, but hell I figure I can try. Any suggestions?
crg123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #602
Bring the gain

MikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Probably around .074. That's standard gauge for F# on an 8.

Lethal Force Fitness: Hardcore fitness for hardcore musicians.
KEEP IT GRIM IN THE GYM
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #603
SS.orgLocalArchitect

crg123 is a name known to allcrg123 is a name known to allcrg123 is a name known to allcrg123 is a name known to all
You think that'll be fine for tuning up to C though? If so then thats great, I'll go pick up one after work, thanks for the quick response, I was worried that a string in the 70 range might warp the neck.

Edit: I'm not really sure that'd even fit in the nut, I don't really want to file it or damage it with the tension. Would something like a .065 or a .068 work?
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #604
Schmuck

rythmic_pulses is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg123 View Post
You think that'll be fine for tuning up to C though? If so then thats great, I'll go pick up one after work, thanks for the quick response, I was worried that a string in the 70 range might warp the neck.

Edit: I'm not really sure that'd even fit in the nut, I don't really want to file it or damage it with the tension. Would something like a .065 or a .068 work?
Absolutley no way up to C, the string tension of the .074 would be far too tight, I use a .074 for my G# or Ab on my 7 string because I like it's tuning stability and bass-like attack, the rest of my strings are basically .046 to .009 and I tune it to Ab, Eb, Ab, Eb, Ab, Bb, Eb cause I like weird tunings.

EDIT: I use the 8th string out of an Ernie Ball set which is tapered.

Problem Trolls?

Sex bro. Sex. -ntDars

Stop hatin'. Love and Toleration. - Biison

the higgs boson is the energy that creates mass to create
protons and tacos basically. - bob123

SOL NIGER WITHIN!!! - Iamasingularity

ODDWORLD FOR LIFE!
rythmic_pulses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #605
SS.orgLocalArchitect

Then what string gauge would you recommend? if this is even possible.

Btw Thanks Mod for moving this to the appropriate part of the forum! Sorry about that
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #606
Schmuck

rythmic_pulses is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg123 View Post
Then what string gauge would you recommend? if this is even possible.

Btw Thanks Mod for moving this to the appropriate part of the forum! Sorry about that
Try a .068, I used that once on my seven but the tone sucked but it will work better on your guitar.

Problem Trolls?

Sex bro. Sex. -ntDars

Stop hatin'. Love and Toleration. - Biison

the higgs boson is the energy that creates mass to create
protons and tacos basically. - bob123

SOL NIGER WITHIN!!! - Iamasingularity

ODDWORLD FOR LIFE!
rythmic_pulses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #607
SS.orgLocalArchitect

Thanks man I'll try that out!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!100th Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 10-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #608
SS.org Regular

somniumaeternum is just really nicesomniumaeternum is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulltodd View Post
i pick pretty hard the notes i want emphasized and i use a jazz style pick (1.5mm stiletto by v-picks). i don't have a live rig. i play and record directly to my computer. i use podfarm, amplitube, free amp sims, and different cab impulses. in the video below i'm tuned to A standard but you still can hear how bad the tones is on the 7 string ibby

So, most likely it's a combination of the scale length of the guitar, the age of the strings, and the tension of the strings.

I've had a similar issue with some of my 25.5 7s where if i downtune to A standard the strings feel a bit rubbery and are really easy to bend out of pitch during fretting.

The best way to fix this is to I find is: get a longer scale guitar (my 26.5 are awesome for A), get strings with higher tension (Octave4plus.com is a good resource for this), different manufacturer / brand of strings.

If nothing works, you can always try the brute force method of having a ginormous strings on there.. but it's always sucked for me in the past. It would make it so you can't bend the strings out of tune by fretting though and it may appear like it's higher tension because there's so much mass to them. If you do mostly rhythm it may work I guess.

(I know this opinion isn't very popular around here but: the actual fix for this is not to simply up the gauge as that totally changes the setup of the guitar and generally feels like crap for lead playing imho.... and you don't really solve the problem, just some of the symptoms. Gauge and tension are not the same things and, in the past, they've been treated as such because of ignorance and/or not having a variety of tensions per string gauge to chose from).

Aside from guitar centric "issues", it could also be your patch. The Pod stuff I had seem to have a more digital feel which makes it sound kinda static-y in certain settings and made the guitar response crap. (This is kind of a long shot though since typically solid state gear tracks quite well - which is why I use it over tube amps..)
somniumaeternum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #609
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You can tune to A standard fine on a 25.5"
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #610
SS Contributor

xtrustisyoursx is just really nicextrustisyoursx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Surprised no one has suggested this. You might try picking the string closer to the bridge. In the video, I noticed you play the rhythm stuff halfway between the pickups or even closer to the neck pickup. If you play nearer to the bridge you'll have a higher perceived tension due to less string movement, as well as a more livelier and brighter tone to the note.
xtrustisyoursx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #611
SS.org Regular

pitbulltodd is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
thanks to all who posted. the suggestions did help but i'm just not feeling it. the guitar is going to ebay and i'm going to start looking for a seven string with a 26.5 scale length.
pitbulltodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #612
Banned

MTech is a glorious beacon of lightMTech is a glorious beacon of lightMTech is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bump up your gauges to something like these
MTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #613
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
thanks to all who posted. the suggestions did help but i'm just not feeling it. the guitar is going to ebay and i'm going to start looking for a seven string with a 26.5 scale length.
shit man, what you lookin to get out of it lol seriously. tell me before ebay
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #614
SS.org Regular

maybe i just suck but i'm having a hard time dealing with 70 gauge string. it's still not tight enough but i don't wanna go any higher on the gauge.
Unread 10-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #615
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
man, i use like a 54 and tune to a flat with no problems on the EXACT same guitar?

try raising the pup? are they the stock 7620 pups?
Unread 10-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #616
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymellis View Post
man, i use like a 54 and tune to a flat with no problems on the EXACT same guitar?

try raising the pup? are they the stock 7620 pups?
the bridge has a di marzio evolution and the neck is stock
Unread 10-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #617
Talk To DeWalt

Quote:
the bridge has a di marzio evolution and the neck is stock
try raising that pup a touch or getting another pup. dont dismis the guitar on something like a pup choice. thats an awesome guitar!
Unread 10-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #618
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymellis View Post
try raising that pup a touch or getting another pup. dont dismis the guitar on something like a pup choice. thats an awesome guitar!
food for thought. i appreciate the advice.
Unread 10-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #619
Taokaka BOOM!

asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
food for thought. i appreciate the advice.
I wasn't happy with my Evo for the low A and switched to a D-Sonic and a higher gauge string - the string was okay, it was usable to be sure, but I prefer the extra tension. I think a pickup swap might help more.
asher is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #620
SS Contributor

xtrustisyoursx is just really nicextrustisyoursx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah, post it on the ss.org classifieds first before ebay.
xtrustisyoursx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #621
ss.org Regular

danielzabolotny will become famous soon enough
I also use Podfarm with my Douglas 7 tuned to G#. Currently, I have a .10 to .59 set and while it's a wee bit looser than I like, my tone is still very good and heavy. Next week when I swap out the stock pickups for Blackouts, I'm putting on a .10 to .74 set, that should tighten things up nicely.
danielzabolotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 07:04 AM   #622
Comfortably Dumb

Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A suggestion here:

Have you tried simply raising the action on the guitar? I find that I sound like doo-doo on guitars with low action and it gets muddy easily, so I suggest you raise them strings a little. That'll let 'em vibrate more freely when you pick them.

And use bigger picks!!
My clearest tone ever was when I used stone picks, regular-sized.
Loomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #623
ESP Fanboy

bradthelegend is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
If you like the feel of your Ibanez, but just want a longer scale length, you could try out one of the RGD 7s, unless you're really set on getting a Schecter.
bradthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #624
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthelegend View Post
If you like the feel of your Ibanez, but just want a longer scale length, you could try out one of the RGD 7s, unless you're really set on getting a Schecter.
actually i just happened to hear a schecter blackjack through the same podfarm presets as i use for the ibanez and the schecter was brutal. the ibanez had better clean tones and the solo tones were about equal but as far as drop tuning rythmn tone the schecter blew the ibanez away. the tone was so different i can't imagine it just being a pickup issue.
Unread 10-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #625
ESP Fanboy

bradthelegend is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
actually i just happened to hear a schecter blackjack through the same podfarm presets as i use for the ibanez and the schecter was brutal. the ibanez had better clean tones and the solo tones were about equal but as far as drop tuning rythmn tone the schecter blew the ibanez away. the tone was so different i can't imagine it just being a pickup issue.
That's what active pickups'll do for you. And those finishes are beautiful. When they came out with the satin black finishes with gold binding, I had to reconsider my brand loyalty.
bradthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote