homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Caboose will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7 String Guitar Tunings?

Alright, so I'm just wondering what the common tunings are for 7 strings.

Isn't the standard one BEADGBE? So, if it's drop D would it be ADADGBE?

What would be the equivalent to Drop C and Drop B flat, which is what I normally tune my 6 strings to. To my understanding though, due to the added string, this usually isn't necessary? What should I tune to in this case? Also, i'd be the only one in my band with a 7 string, so how would that work if they were in a Drop C tuning, would I be in that as well?

Sorry for the noob questions. Still extremely new to the 7 string idea.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
Djeff

sk3ks1s is a glorious beacon of lightsk3ks1s is a glorious beacon of lightsk3ks1s is a glorious beacon of light
If they do drop C... You do open G a la Devin.
Low to high -> G C G C G C E
Listen to Skeksis to really get an appreciation for it's sound.......... getting a quarter chubb.
sk3ks1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You can tune the strings however you want. If your drop-C tuning isn't the same as someone else's, there are no consequences.

Usually the easiest transition is to tune six of the strings the same as your former 6-string, then tune the extra string either a fourth or fifth below the lowest string, or a fourth above the highest string.

For instance, if you tune CGCFAD on a sixer, then first try GCGCFAD, then try FCGCFAD. See which one you like best. Keep in mind that those low G's and low F's will sound best on a long scale instrument with thicker strings such as .070". If neither of these are to your liking, try stringing up with a high G .008". That tuning will allow you some extra ease in planning your solos and fills, so that you won't have to change positions as often. It opens up some interesting extransions to the arpeggios and faster scale runs as well. If you don't like the way any of these turn out, I would like to hear your feedback.

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

Deathmetal94564 is a jewel in the rough
I prefer B-standard/ Bb standard, but i also prefer a 26.5" scale on my 7's to keep the strings nice and tight if I wanted to down tune. I tend to also like 11-64 gauges. I haven't tried anything lower then drop A, but that's because I HATE drop A lol
Deathmetal94564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
F'king ............

distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk3ks1s View Post
If they do drop C... You do open G a la Devin.
Low to high -> G C G C G C E
Listen to Skeksis to really get an appreciation for it's sound.......... getting a quarter chubb.
That's actually Open C, not Drop C, although that's also an awesome tuning.

For six-string drop tunings, my preference for adapting them to the seven is to go ADADGBE, or similar, although GDADGBE, and Tosin Abasi's BDADGBE tuning are also cool.
Even if your other guitarist is a six-string player, using a seven in a complimentary tuning will allow you to play lower inversions of his chords, which'd be an awesome way to chunk up the sound.

Define 'well-adjusted'...

http://farsideguitars.blogspot.com/
distressed_romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

Caboose will become famous soon enough
Wow, thanks everyone. It may be a while till I get my hands on a 7 string (hopefully an Agile ) but this is all really helpful.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
Sir Roger Moore, KBE

Bungle is a glorious beacon of lightBungle is a glorious beacon of lightBungle is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostjan View Post
For instance, if you tune CGCFAD on a sixer, then first try GCGCFAD, then try FCGCFAD
I can vouch for the awesomeness of GCGCFAD. For the record I used a 0.74 for the low G on a 25.5" Ibby.
Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Hwat you call me?

guambomb832 is just really niceguambomb832 is just really nice
I like to play around with GCGCFAD. The drop tuning then the standard tuned G to C makes some interesting stuff. For a four-note power chord(djent), you would hit the low G, then a D5 barre power chord below it.

You gotta pay the troll toll, to get into the boy's hole.

My bandcamp for my music project, Guamskyy. Enjoy!
guambomb832 is offline   Reply With Quote