homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Prydogga

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Pony tail holder around guitar neck?

why do i see some pics and videos of people with hair bands/pony tail holders around the neck of their guitar. its always on the first fret next to the nut.
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Banned

CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It cleans tapping/sweeping and overall playing up. As long as you're not using open notes lol. Pretty much its a mute.
CooleyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooleyJr View Post
It cleans tapping/sweeping and overall playing up. As long as you're not using open notes lol. Pretty much its a mute.
i may have to try this. since my 10 year hiatus my sweeping is REALLY bad.
Unread 12-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Banned

CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/CooleyJr is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah man, It helps when recording if there's a few notes that you cant just get super clean. Then you use the hair tie and BAM! You just nailed it. Kinda cheating but hey. Herman Li speeds up his recordings!
CooleyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Talk To DeWalt

if you heard my current sweeping you would either tell me to stop or try the pony tail holder lol.
Unread 12-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Baha, when I read the title I thought this was some kind of new crazy kickass invention
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooleyJr View Post
Yeah man, It helps when recording if there's a few notes that you cant just get super clean. Then you use the hair tie and BAM! You just nailed it. Kinda cheating but hey. Herman Li speeds up his recordings!
So did Vinnie Vincent, and that was 20 years ago.

On topic, yes it does help with clean tapping and sweeps. It does muffle the notes a bit, but it's extremely subtle so it's nothing to fret over (unless you're the last producer I worked with who noticed it straight away).

I have one on all my guitars.
Bloody_Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 02:22 AM   #8
Now available in HD

meisterjager is a name known to allmeisterjager is a name known to allmeisterjager is a name known to allmeisterjager is a name known to all
lol @ 'pony tail holder'
meisterjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 02:24 AM   #9
Giddyup.

Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.
There's been a thread here before about whether using these is cheating, but the thing is, music isn't a competition so who cares.

Going OT is your avatar a guy about to give a chick a donkey punch?
Kade Storm likes this.

M E M O I R S
Music from myself and Kurkkuviipale!
http://soundcloud.com/m-e-m-o-i-r-s

I also do graphic design, both freelance and for label Myriad Records.

Last edited by Prydogga; 12-16-2009 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Prydogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
Pro Apologizer

22km Tombstone is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The biggest reason I started doing this was not to clean up lead playing/sweeping (I'm not great at that anyway), but rather to stop any weird ringing out after hard/fast staccato rhythms & especially palm mutes.

Sometimes you get this weird "shhring" sound after a staccato palm muted chord, and although it's not that loud, you can definitely tell it's there. Using the hair band past the nut mutes this.

I guess this doesn't happen with Floyd'ed guitars though?
22km Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
Talk To DeWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prydogga View Post

Going OT is your avatar a guy about to give a chick a donkey punch?
thanx and yes it was, but looks to have been deleted
Unread 12-17-2009, 03:16 AM   #12
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jymellis View Post
if you heard my current sweeping you would either tell me to stop or try the pony tail holder lol.
It's not cheating to use a string dampener, it's just another way of playing music. Speeding up guitars is only cheating if you claim to be power metal, as apposed to techno.
Back on topic, for ERGs and ERBs, a hair tie might work more like a capo, so that's why I use the Crayola brand string dampener.
Waelstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 03:38 AM   #13
Giddyup.

Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jymellis View Post
thanx and yes it was, but looks to have been deleted
lol that's win.

M E M O I R S
Music from myself and Kurkkuviipale!
http://soundcloud.com/m-e-m-o-i-r-s

I also do graphic design, both freelance and for label Myriad Records.
Prydogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
Such a strange numb

-mouse- is just really nice-mouse- is just really nice
my dad uses these all the time he goes to the grocery store and buys them in bulk.
-mouse- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #15
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22km Tombstone View Post
The biggest reason I started doing this was not to clean up lead playing/sweeping (I'm not great at that anyway), but rather to stop any weird ringing out after hard/fast staccato rhythms & especially palm mutes.

Sometimes you get this weird "shhring" sound after a staccato palm muted chord, and although it's not that loud, you can definitely tell it's there. Using the hair band past the nut mutes this.

I guess this doesn't happen with Floyd'ed guitars though?
That's another reason as well. I didn't have one on my Les Paul for a while until I realised the ringing. So I put one on all my non Floyd guitars and it made a difference in tight rhythm playing. Some people go as far as sticking foam on the headstock right next to the nut to dampen the strings.

Floyds don't have that issue, but I have them on anyway for the initial reason (shred tap sweep). Plus you use them to generate harmonics for some experimental playing too.
Unread 12-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

guitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
foam under the string tree works much better
guitarplayerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #17
Down-pick or die

Neal is a jewel in the rough
Some guitars with floyds do have this issue, especially if it has a reverse headstock, making the string length of the low E or B longer between the nut and tuner. Sometimes my RG 7620 will do it on the middle strings too (D and G). Drives me nuts when I'm recording. Hair tie, foam or tape fixes this. I also stick foam in the spring cavity to keep that quiet.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #18
ss.org Regular

reptillion is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waelstrum View Post
It's not cheating to use a string dampener, it's just another way of playing music. Speeding up guitars is only cheating if you claim to be power metal, as apposed to techno.
Back on topic, for ERGs and ERBs, a hair tie might work more like a capo, so that's why I use the Crayola brand string dampener.
My hair ties are a bit too tight on my universe, so I stole the idea from a friend to use a tshirt tied around the neck, mutes alot better. The only problem its harder to move on and off.
reptillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #19
Silence is Violence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Some guitars with floyds do have this issue, especially if it has a reverse headstock, making the string length of the low E or B longer between the nut and tuner. Sometimes my RG 7620 will do it on the middle strings too (D and G). Drives me nuts when I'm recording. Hair tie, foam or tape fixes this. I also stick foam in the spring cavity to keep that quiet.
Come to think of it, I jam the spring cavity on my guitars (with Tissues) as well, probably why I didn't notice the issue.
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #20
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
I also stick foam in the spring cavity to keep that quiet.
I used black electrical tape on the springs on my guitars with OFRs and works just as good as foam, but without a bunch of crap in your trem cavity to impede movement.
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 04:35 AM   #21
ss.org Regular

Rocco Ruthless is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Ken View Post
I used black electrical tape on the springs on my guitars with OFRs and works just as good as foam, but without a bunch of crap in your trem cavity to impede movement.
This seems to be a good solution as well if you have $10 laying around. (sorry for off topic post)

Noiseless Springs [ANS0001] - $9.95 : FloydUpgrades.com!, Floyd Rose Tremolo Upgrades
Rocco Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #22
Rainbow In The Dark

Origin is just really niceOrigin is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Those little ponytail bastards work great, a little cheaper than an NS-2 Suppressor pedal, though I plan on getting one of those too
Origin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #23
Banned

Koshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of light
Works like a charm. You can slide a hair elastic down to where you need it to clean up string noise and sympathetic vibration quite nicely. It's not tight enough to mute your strings, only clean up transient noise.
Koshchei is offline   Reply With Quote