homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Bass Guitar Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Bass Guitar Discussion All bass guitar related discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-29-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

AxeGuru will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Best bass strings for using a pick (FAST!!)

Hi guys,
I need suggestions on what would be the best strings/gauge for playing fast accurate stuff on my Ibanez EDB 5 string bass wile still having tone. the stock strings buzz too much and sound floppy, on the lowest string especially. I want to play Meshuggah, Fear Factory type stuff etc.

Thanks
AxeGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-29-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
new album soon!

Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
DR Lo Rider (.45,.65,.85,.105,.130) strings work pretty well for me on my spector legend 5 string (tuned whole step down to A). may i ask what kind of picks you use? the right pick is just as important (at least for me) for fast, tight playing. i use dunlop 3.0 mm big stubby picks.
Edroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
Rokuban Taicho

Loserchief is a jewel in the rough
since the EDB seems to be regular 34" scale you'll always have some buzz and flop on the low b, but the rest of the strings should be easy to cure. I'd say try a set of Dean mrkley SR-2000s. Those are contact core strings that vribrate more freely and therefore have a huge sound and lots of sustain. I'd try the 48-127 set or the Will Lee-set if you want a tighter E and A.
I'm with edroz on the pick, there's nothing better than a big stubby 3.0mm(trinagle is best for grip). Some fingerstyle smoothness in the sound but pickstyle attack
Loserchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

AxeGuru will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edroz View Post
may i ask what kind of picks you use? the right pick is just as important (at least for me) for fast, tight playing. i use dunlop 3.0 mm big stubby picks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loserchief View Post
I'm with edroz on the pick, there's nothing better than a big stubby 3.0mm(trinagle is best for grip). Some fingerstyle smoothness in the sound but pickstyle attack
I use a dunlop tortex .88mm
AxeGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
new album soon!

Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.Edroz is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeGuru View Post
I use a dunlop tortex .88mm
i find that the tortex .88mms (or any other tortex pick for that matter) get caught up in the strings too much for me. the big stubbys just roll over the strings but they have a fairly sharp point to them which gives them just enough attack. everyone has their own preference when it comes to picks, you just have to find what works best for you.
Unread 12-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
Sign Your Neg Rep Posts!

Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Hmm I wonder how flat wounds would work..

"I wish TV had a knob so you could turn up the intelligence. The one marked Brightness doesn't work."

Gallagher
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
new album soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .jason. View Post
Hmm I wonder how flat wounds would work..

i've wondered that myself... been meaning to try them for the longest time.
Unread 01-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

golfanddata is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The reason that I visited this thread is that I am currently using flat woulds on my Pedulla Thunderbass 5 string neck through and my Warwick Corvette $$ NT 5 string.

I'm using LaBella Deep Talkin and was wondering if there was another option, as I feel that these are almost there, but not quite. I was looking for something a bit more responsive, yet still have the deep tones while picking.

The scale on the Warwick is so long that these are the only flat woulds that fit.
golfanddata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
This is a hell of a thread bump from someone who's clearly just joined after finding this thread on google.

The Warwick's a 34-inch scale, any normal long-scale strings will work.

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
eleven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

golfanddata is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edroz View Post
DR Lo Rider (.45,.65,.85,.105,.130) strings work pretty well for me on my spector legend 5 string (tuned whole step down to A). may i ask what kind of picks you use? the right pick is just as important (at least for me) for fast, tight playing. i use dunlop 3.0 mm big stubby picks.
I went out today and bought the big stubbys - a pack each of 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0.

I broke out the 3's first - WOW! - what an immediate diference in playability, and, even more important, it brought out the brightness in the flat wound strings that I was missing.

Great tip... thank you.

Last edited by golfanddata; 01-10-2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
golfanddata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
new album soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfanddata View Post
I went out today and bought the big stubbys - a pack each of 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0.

I broke out the 3's first - WOW! - what an immediate diference in playability, and, even more important, it brought out the brightness in the flat wound strings that I was missing.

Great tip... thank you.

this thread's a bit old, but when it comes to bass, i still won't touch any other pick.

glad i could help .