homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Bass Guitar Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Bass Guitar Discussion All bass guitar related discussion here.

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So let's talk double-thumb...

I'm in the process of relearning how to slap. I used to only do it Flea-style, and that way has too many limitations.

The new hand/thumb position is super awkward, but I guess I'll get a hang of it.

Now, I also want to learn double-thumb, would be interesting to know how many people on here that can actually do it well.
I would also like to know if I'm gonna hit the string with my nail or not on the way up, because it's filing my nail the way I'm doing it now

This video will keep me occupied for summer...
carcass likes this.

Schecters don't have baseball bat necks.
Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Shono, forever and always.
Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
0000 00 0 0 00 000

MetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Im gonna definitely have to try this. Isn't this the technique Tosin applied to his 8 strings?
Superwoodle and Nautilus like this.

I own a PURPLE Schecter Banshee 7 passive and you don't
FREE DEBUT SOLO ALBUM
MetalBuddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

prashanthan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I saw this a few weeks back, still a long way from getting it though. Keep practising though, you'll make faster progress than you might think! I think you do hit it with your nail on the way up, I couldn't find any other way around it, and it was painful at first but I'm used to it now.

If Tosin does apply this to his 8 strings, that's just ridiculous. I'm finding a 16.5mm spacing on my Ibby 5 string slightly too tight for this, couldn't imagine doing it on a guitar!
prashanthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthan View Post
If Tosin does apply this to his 8 strings, that's just ridiculous. I'm finding a 16.5mm spacing on my Ibby 5 string slightly too tight for this, couldn't imagine doing it on a guitar!
We gotta take into consideration that he's an absolute monster at guitar. But yes, I agree with you.

And come on, he's black, he's a bass natural
jordanky, Mister-Tux and TslashD like this.

Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Unread 05-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Enselmis is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I saw this a few weeks back, still a long way from getting it though. Keep practising though, you'll make faster progress than you might think! I think you do hit it with your nail on the way up, I couldn't find any other way around it, and it was painful at first but I'm used to it now.

I actually find it easier to do on a guitar. It takes a little more precision but much less effort to actually get a good sound and feel.

I'm jealous of everyone with the hitchhikers thumb, makes it so much easier...
Enselmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
The Faux Shizzle

LordIronSpatula is a jewel in the rough
Norm Stockton is pretty good at double-thumbing. I asked him for some pointers on it while talking to him after a show, and he actually suggested growing the thumbnail out slightly specifically for use on the upstroke.

That approach actually works well for me. Since the attack of the note is the string hitting the frets it doesn't make any difference tonally to snap the string with the nail. Plus it's easier to control the timing and dynamic level relative to the downstroke than with the whole fingertip in my experience.

To break it down, for the downstroke I basically just do a rest stroke, striking the string with the knuckle of my thumb and traveling through the string to rest on the one below. For the upstroke, I use the bottom (outer) about half of my nail. I slide it up against the string, relaxed, by rotating my arm from the elbow, then snap the string partly by continuing the rotation of my arm but also by simultaneously straightening my thumb.

It sounds kind of complicated but once you put it all together in one smooth motion it's not that hard, provided your friends low string height and minimum neck relief are present.

I also find this technique easier on guitar than on bass! My approach is a little classical/flamenco guitar like (that's my musical background, in fact) so it gets along OK with narrower string spacing.
LordIronSpatula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

prashanthan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Just been trying it on my acoustic now. You guys are right, it's nowhere near as bad as I thought, barely have to touch the strings to get the sound, especially with the pops. Bass, on the other hand, you really have to dig in to get it to sound good... but it's much more badass on the bass! I think it's what he's doing here at like 4:40...

Victor Wooten "the lesson" live: EMGtv - YouTube
prashanthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
0000 00 0 0 00 000

MetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud of
Quote:
I am like 98% positive he said something about a Victor Wooten double-thumb technique in an interview where he was showing the techniques he uses. Either way...the man is a monster but would never have gotten that technique without good 'ol Victor Wooten

I own a PURPLE Schecter Banshee 7 passive and you don't
FREE DEBUT SOLO ALBUM
MetalBuddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
Melodic Mamma Jamma

JStraitiff is a jewel in the rough
Thats actually really awesome. Im gonna try to apply this to my 7s.

JStraitiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
TheytoldmemynamewasM

TheytoldmemynamewasMike will become famous soon enough
I've been practising double thumb slapping for almost 5 years now(I was into it since the first years I played the bass),and I found Wooten's instructional videos and approach to be the ones that fit what I wanna hear and do when I slap.Although,I can assure you that in the end everyone develops a technique according to his/hers needs.Wooten,and Abasi have both really big and I think double jointed thumbs,so it is critical to understand that you will never play excactly like them!You will have to see what your own thumb and fingers can do when it comes to double thumbing. Nevertheless,it is one of the most fun and versatile techniques I know(learn)! You can groove,solo,make percussive sounds and even djent along with the guitar! Practice it slow and daily and you will see results in a couple of weeks!
TheytoldmemynamewasMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
I tried with this technique for some time ages ago. I use the flesh on the side of my thumb which has the unfortunate side effect of severing flesh from the bone.

So, I found out there was a German bass player who had dealt with this problem. Gerald Reese, inventor of the [/i]/[b/]Slap Ring[/i][/b].

*careful typing that into Google*

Gerald Reese.com - Home

I bought a pair and they work ok. I played a lot of acoustic finger style using the thumb to tremelo on single strings, but the technique is much more physical on bass and it didn't transfer.

Overall, if you can do it long enough that your skin callouses and toughens up enough it might be a useful technique. It didn't work out for me.

You'll probably need this article if you put serious effort into acquiring this technique.

Blistered Plucking Finger/Help - TalkBass Forums

Happy slappin' !!!
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
Bass Player in Exile

HaMMerHeD is just really niceHaMMerHeD is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmel View Post
And come on, he's black, he's a bass natural
Herrseigneur, Murmel and NickS like this.
HaMMerHeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

carcass is a jewel in the rough
thank you very much, this is very interesting and I started practising this right after I watched the video, really great

carcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
Banned

ZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to all
I have a 6 string to learn this on.... At least it's not a Gerald Veasley signature with the tight string spacing that it has.
ZEBOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
Giggity

JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I've been trying the double thumb stuff a lot lately with not much luck however am developing a good slap and pop technique on the guitar and some cool licks
JP Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
Yes, pancakes.

simulclass83 is just really nicesimulclass83 is just really nice
If this is what Tosin does, then it boggles my mind. How the f...?
simulclass83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #17
Correct-handed

leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simulclass83 View Post
If this is what Tosin does, then it boggles my mind. How the f...?
Tosin does a downstroke with his thumb, then an upstroke with his thumb, then plucks with his pointer and middle fingers.

Watch this. At about 1:00 he starts going into his double thumbing and explains how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFoF70lIAI0

"Yeah, sometimes when you're cool, you spontaneously combust into a fireball of awesomeness" - RenegadeDave
leftyguitarjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
Lefty supremacist

Nautilus is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuddah View Post
Im gonna definitely have to try this. Isn't this the technique Tosin applied to his 8 strings?
yup. Tosin's always credited the technique to Victor though...he's just managed to transfer it over to the electric guitar.

Nautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

Amanita is headed in the right direction.
Victor always credits his brother Reggie with showing him this technique
Solodini likes this.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #20
ss.org Regular

iamok is on a distinguished road
for interesting slap techniques, check out the 26 second mark. Still trying to figure this one out.
iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #21
not quite a shredder

VBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to all
He does it so damn casually, truly makes it look easy.

Ibanez ARZ307, ICEMAN IC400, RG921F-BK
Frknstrt of Doom, MIM FSR Strat
POD HD Pro, Mesa 50/50, Recto 2x12,1x12,Theile
Randal Diavlo V30 1x12
VBCheeseGrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 02:50 AM   #22
Fapping to J-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamok View Post
for interesting slap techniques, check out the 26 second mark. Still trying to figure this one out.
It looks like he does like Fieldy (and quite a few other similarily styled metal bassists) does sometimes. He hits the string alternating the thumb and the pinky, or palm or whatever.
It's hard to see because of the angle.

Get the .... over it.

Unread 06-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
SS.org Regular

mortbopet is a jewel in the rough
When i started to learn double thumping, i mainly focused on the wooten song called Double thump. I really like this song, because it combines speed, string shifting and so on. I just started out by playing it slowly, and listening after the correct sound. Afterwards its just about building the speed and accuracy!
mortbopet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

codync is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitarjoe View Post
Tosin does a downstroke with his thumb, then an upstroke with his thumb, then plucks with his pointer and middle fingers.

Watch this. At about 1:00 he starts going into his double thumbing and explains how to do it.
Vic does this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Victor always credits his brother Reggie with showing him this technique
Who taught Evan Brewer how to do it!
codync is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

DjentDjentlalala has a spectacular aura about
Actually Tosin DID NOT put it into guitar.Victor's brother did.
DjentDjentlalala is offline   Reply With Quote