homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Bass Guitar Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Bass Guitar Discussion All bass guitar related discussion here.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Housty00
  • 1 Post By MetalBuddah

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
Jebus

Goatchrist is just really niceGoatchrist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NBD! Steinberger Spirit XZ-25! Fretless and MOD suggestions?

Hey folks!

So I sold my Ibby SR305 and bought this Steinberger. I like it way better than the SR305, the neck is wider and thicker but it feels good. It sounds good. I didn't expect the pickups to be "so good"(for stock pickups). It's in mint condition, there's just one little scratch by the pots.

I will be modifying this bass. I will buy a Moses Graphite fretless neck. I can't wait!
I thought about refinishing it, it looks so unspectacular/boring in black. Give me some suggestions. I thought about white or natural.

Here some pics:

Scratch:

Family picture! Saving up for the BKPs for the other spirit and the Moses neck.

The burst on my GM-4s is very hard to capture.

Does anyone have experience with changing to fretless instruments? Is it a big help if I let the Moses guy do fretline markers on the fretboard? Is it too difficult without? I'd love the look of a blank fretboard.
If you have ideas for a inlay, let me know! Still haven't decided anything!

You must unlearn what you have learned.
Goatchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Jebus

I will be modifying this bass. I will buy a Moses Graphite fretless neck. I can't wait!
I thought about refinishing it, it looks so unspectacular/boring in black. Give me some suggestions. I thought about white or natural.
Does anyone have experience with changing to fretless instruments? Is it a big help if I let the Moses guy do fretline markers on the fretboard? Is it too difficult without? I'd love the look of a blank fretboard.

Opinions anyone?

Unread 05-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
SuiÁmez fanboy

GhostsofAcid is a jewel in the rough
That bass would look great in white IMO. That's a pretty cool collection of headless instruments you have. Can't really help with your question, I have no experience with fretless instruments and find the idea daunting
GhostsofAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatchrist View Post

Opinions anyone?
I think putting a moses neck would be a bit over kill, but if the cost's right to you, then do it :p.

Im gassing pretty hard for a fret less bass, but if you' havent been playing one for a while, its gonna hurt if you dont have the fret markers.

I would get a soft gray inlay for the fret markers (simple enough, and wont be super visible). But as for a traditional inlay, Id say keep it simple.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Jebus

Quote:
I think putting a moses neck would be a bit over kill, but if the cost's right to you, then do it :p.

Im gassing pretty hard for a fret less bass, but if you' havent been playing one for a while, its gonna hurt if you dont have the fret markers.

I would get a soft gray inlay for the fret markers (simple enough, and wont be super visible). But as for a traditional inlay, Id say keep it simple.
Good idea!
I don't see why putting a Moses neck would be over kill though. I've got one on my other spirit. Feels and sounds amazing!

Quote:
That bass would look great in white IMO. That's a pretty cool collection of headless instruments you have. Can't really help with your question, I have no experience with fretless instruments and find the idea daunting
White with a black Carbon neck would look stunning!

Unread 05-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

davisjom has a spectacular aura about
im a sucker for flamed maple. maybe you could get a nice veneer on it and stain it a cherry red?
If not, white is always a great idea!
as for inlays... not really sure. I would check out Daemoness guitars. They have some sick inlays. you may get an idea or two
davisjom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
Jebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisjom View Post
im a sucker for flamed maple. maybe you could get a nice veneer on it and stain it a cherry red?
If not, white is always a great idea!
as for inlays... not really sure. I would check out Daemoness guitars. They have some sick inlays. you may get an idea or two
Nice idea, but I don't think that my abilities are sufficient. White would be much easier and would fit perfect to a neck without any inlays.

I'm currently still in contact with Steve Mosher about the Moses neck, I want to be sure the measures fit.

Unread 05-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
Bonitis.

Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
You can get a lined fretless Moses Graphite neck, it's a $50 upcharge. If you were willingto pay the extra cash and really wanted to keep the board blank but still have fret-lines you could contact them and see about doing side lines only, I don't know if they would do it though.

As for color, white would look amazing with it.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Necris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
Jebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necris View Post
You can get a lined fretless Moses Graphite neck, it's a $50 upcharge. If you were willingto pay the extra cash and really wanted to keep the board blank but still have fret-lines you could contact them and see about doing side lines only, I don't know if they would do it though.

As for color, white would look amazing with it.
I'm actually in constant contact since I ordered my Moses guitar neck.
He told me fretlines won't have an upcharge.

But yeah sidelines seems like the best compromise for me, I got to ask him that.

Unread 05-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

Housty00 will become famous soon enough
You have NO idea how bad I've been gasing for one of these. UGGGHHHH I HATE YOU.
Goatchrist likes this.
Housty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
0000 00 0 0 00 000

MetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud ofMetalBuddah has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I played one of those guys at my local GC and totally regret not walking out of the store with it Also...I have mad envy for that GM-4
Goatchrist likes this.

I own a PURPLE Schecter Banshee 7 passive and you don't
FREE DEBUT SOLO ALBUM
MetalBuddah is offline   Reply With Quote