homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Bass Guitar Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Bass Guitar Discussion All bass guitar related discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

dead_scott is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bass string tension doubt

Hi, I've got an ibanez SR505, I'm planning to use this tuning: F#BF#BE. I was thinking of using the following gauge:

5 F# 175
4 B 135
3 F# 95
2 B 75
1 E 60

I thought the rotosound drop zone might come in handy...
dead_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That should be really nice
EtherealEntity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

ixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud of
This tension chart will help http://circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/...nsionChart.pdf

Your gauges will be top-heavy, 175 135 95 70 50 will be more tension balanced, having the top 3 strings at the same tension.
ixlramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlramp View Post
This tension chart will help http://circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/...nsionChart.pdf

Your gauges will be top-heavy, 175 135 95 70 50 will be more tension balanced.
Wow, thanks a bunch, dude! That's a pretty handy chart. Would you happen to have one for guitars?
Unread 01-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

ixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud of
http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf
The tension charts for the guitar strings are for a 25.5" scale. There's also a full explanation of tension and a formula for calculating tension of any string on any scale at any pitch. Everything you need to design your own sets.

The first chart is for Circle K Strings http://circlekstrings.com/store/. They make high quality strings for ERB and ultra-low tunings, everything from a plain .008 to .254, but are mail order from USA so might be somewhat expensive to ship to Italy, it's worth it though, in my opinion.

Both charts can be used to approximate the tensions of other brands.

A custom set of single strings from Circle K with equal tension strings would be .182 .136 .090 .067 .049 for your tuning.
Unread 02-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

Nice, dude! Thanks a lot. Had been looking for something like that =)
Unread 02-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

Anaerob has a spectacular aura about
I'm gonna hijack this one a bit, since I have some thoughts and small questions. Also, thank you for the awesome tension guide!

I've been playing guitar since forever, but have limited knowledge of bass. I'll soon be recording some songs with a bass and will be going for a drop G tuning on a 5 string bass (I believe it's 34" or 36", a Warwick Corvette $$, anyone knows for sure?).

My 7 string guitars set spans from .074 to .010 (25.5"), and I'm comfortable with that ammount of tension. I like having equal tension across all strings of the same type, higher tension on the thicker strings If I can choose. However, I've heard that basses have generally higher tension.

From what I've read here and in the circleK guide, would this set be appropriate?

string tension (34")
.174" 39.3
.112" 38.2
.082" 37.2
.061" 36.9
.045" 36.9

There's a small possibility that I'll be tuning to G# instead, would these strings work for that? That (or the bass actually being 36") would get me tensions from 41.4 - 44.1 which I've understood is within the accepted range as well.
Thoughs? Thanks in advance!
Anaerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

Yo dude, while you're waiting for the answer I'd like to ask you if you don't feel your 7strings are too tight. On the overall I've been reading that no one likes very thick gauges for those tunings. I'm planning to use a 70 or 70 something for my 7th string, and then for the rest, it would be B dropped (thinking 60 or 59 for the 6th). What do you think. I've already made up my mind for the first try, but your experience here can be very helpful. Cheers!
Unread 02-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaerob View Post
I'm gonna hijack this one a bit, since I have some thoughts and small questions. Also, thank you for the awesome tension guide!

I've been playing guitar since forever, but have limited knowledge of bass. I'll soon be recording some songs with a bass and will be going for a drop G tuning on a 5 string bass (I believe it's 34" or 36", a Warwick Corvette $$, anyone knows for sure?).

My 7 string guitars set spans from .074 to .010 (25.5"), and I'm comfortable with that ammount of tension. I like having equal tension across all strings of the same type, higher tension on the thicker strings If I can choose. However, I've heard that basses have generally higher tension.

From what I've read here and in the circleK guide, would this set be appropriate?

string tension (34")
.174" 39.3
.112" 38.2
.082" 37.2
.061" 36.9
.045" 36.9

There's a small possibility that I'll be tuning to G# instead, would these strings work for that? That (or the bass actually being 36") would get me tensions from 41.4 - 44.1 which I've understood is within the accepted range as well.
Thoughs? Thanks in advance!
Corvette $$ is 34" scale, and the CKS tension chart is for 34" scale. Yes those gauges look well chosen for drop G.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaerob View Post
There's a small possibility that I'll be tuning to G# instead, would these strings work for that?
You mean drop G#? They'll also work fine for drop G#. In both tunings the tension will be roughly medium (for a bass).

One thing to check though is the length of the tapered section http://circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/CircleKspecs.pdf, it is relatively short (for good reason) at 1.625" from edge of ball to start of taper. On a Warwick bridge with separate tailpiece (not the Rockbass bridge) this brings the tapering point very close to, or even on, the saddle, this is not necessarily a problem and in fact is a good thing for tone, but you may want to check by emailing the 'techinfo' address at Circle K. I seem to remember hearing of people using CKs on Warwick bridges successfully.

You could check the Circle K Strings thread at talkbass for more info, it's a long thread, best work backwards from the end: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/ci...8/index45.html

EDIT: Here you go, a review of CKs on a Corvette $$: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/ci...l#post12127741
"... Skip and others have warned that the taper on Circle K's is short. If you have almost any one piece bridge that should be no problem. Warwicks, however, have a two piece bridge, and it just barely works out so that the taper ends at exactly the distance i need for correct intonation. Its worth it though ..."
If you do a search within that thread with keyword 'warwick' you'll find 3 others happily using CKs on non-rockbass Warwicks. Even if the tapering point rides up onto the saddle a little it's possibly no problem.
Unread 03-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

So, I've just tried
F#175
B135
F#95
B70
E50

for my SR505. The 5th string (175) is all flappy, so I'll have to go 55, 75, and maybe 100 to compensate for the F#