homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Bass Guitar Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Bass Guitar Discussion All bass guitar related discussion here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Necris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
TCM Softhands

musikizlife is just really nicemusikizlife is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
NGD! SX 5'er

So this one's a little late but what NGD's aren't?

Its an SX Ursa II 5 string, in the natural ash finish

Im a guitar player at heart, but I've had a feigning for bass lately, and I've also wanted a way to add real bass to my recordings without constantly borrowing, so my wonderful GF grabbed this for me for Christmas

It first arrived as 4 string but quickly contacted Kurt and 2 days later I had myself a 5'er.

Now a a statement then a question. Since I'm going to be playing with the 5th string dropped to an A, and it's quite floppy and hits the bridge pickup. What gauge strings do you guys think I should use to keep it nice and tight? ( I know nothing about bass shit lol)

anyway.... pics

EDIT: Heres a clip I posted earlier using it!
http://soundcloud.com/musikizlife/si...with-real-bass

musikizlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I need to get one of these. They're so cheap you can't really go wrong. I also have a similar question as far as gauges, but I'd be going down to G#.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Hybrid138 is a glorious beacon of lightHybrid138 is a glorious beacon of lightHybrid138 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Damn... I like it. What do you think of the pickups, neck, playability, etc? I always fight the urge to get one of these. I have a Fender 4 string but I don't have a 5 at all.

Bacchanalian Bliss (My Ska band):
http://www.facebook.com/blisstx (Facebook)

http://www.sonicbids.com/epk/epk.aspx?epk_id=223821
(SonicBids)

Hybrid138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Gear Junkie

ibanezcollector is a name known to allibanezcollector is a name known to allibanezcollector is a name known to allibanezcollector is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
my go to bass is a SX I love the tone of it so lo-fi and gritty. Sold all my higher end basses because believe it or not I love that SX.

NICE BASS
ibanezcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
TCM Softhands

Thanks guys!
and compared to the basses i've played (Schecter Stilleto, and Ibanez GSR i think it was) It's really up there. The quality definitely surpasses the price IMO. I don't have all that much experience with basses but especially for the price you can't go wrong especially if you need a 5 string to knock around. and on top of it, it's really pretty :P
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

przemyslawwolski is on a distinguished road
nice!
przemyslawwolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Green guitar addict

BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.
That looks great, I imagine it weighs a shit-ton though?

Rondo used to sell a replacement fretless neck for those - I used to want to buy that bass and that neck so I could change between fretted and fretless

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my YouTubings by making clicks upon this most generously provided link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnorFGuitar?feature=mhee

You can thank me later. Or throw stones, it's your call.

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious...
BucketheadRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Bonitis.

Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Swap out those strings and give the bass a good setup the first chance you get. The stock strings that come with SX, Agile, Brice etc are abysmal and you will notice an improvement in tone after changing them. A set of .136 .102 .076 .057 .041 strings should do fine (I use Circle K strings so I'm going by their gauges). I don't think you'd need anything above a .140 for a low A string personally.
musikizlife likes this.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Necris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
TCM Softhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketheadRules View Post
That looks great, I imagine it weighs a shit-ton though?

Rondo used to sell a replacement fretless neck for those - I used to want to buy that bass and that neck so I could change between fretted and fretless
Honestly it's not terrible, and considering the fact that I won't really be using it live, doesn't make the weight a problem

would love a fretless neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necris View Post
Swap out those strings and give the bass a good setup the first chance you get. The stock strings that come with SX, Agile, Brice etc are abysmal and you will notice an improvement in tone after changing them. A set of .136 .102 .076 .057 .041 strings should do fine (I use Circle K strings so I'm going by their gauges). I don't think you'd need anything above a .140 for a low A string personally.
Thanks for the info, definitely gunna get on that asap, even tuned at a B the low string is like a wet noodle... extra floppy haha