homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Bass Guitar Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Bass Guitar Discussion All bass guitar related discussion here.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Power Metal Cellist

TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
NBD: Here be weird shit ('80s content)

It's a 1987 (pre-Fender) Kubicki Factor.

In eye-raping seafoam green.

Love the headless tuning system; very smooth and much easier to turn than the Steinberger system. Plus you can use single-ball-end strings, which is one reason why I never got into the Steinberger headlesses.

It's got some chips, dings, and knocks, but the frets are practically pristine, the action is low, and it is just incredibly loud, clear, and resonant unplugged.

Headless means easy truss rod access too!

Speaking of the neck, it's a 21-ply maple laminate, apparently, with an ebony fretboard and 23 frets. It shipped from southern California to New York on a below-freezing day and arrived with pretty much perfect relief, so I'm guessing it's stable.

Then there's this thing:

It's essentially a D-tuner that lets you keep everything else the same position-wise. Comes in handy for a few songs my band does where we pedal off the low D; much easier to do on this thing than a 5er. 32" scale, with the D extended to 36."

Pickups with aerodynamic toan scoop!

A few more knobs than I usually like, but it sounds pretty damn good, with a very modern "hi-fi" attack and voicing that I don't really have in any of my other basses.

It's got a six-way "voicing selector" (kind of a varitone, really) with two active and three passive modes plus an "off" mode. There's an 18v preamp with stacked boost-only treble and bass knobs, and stacked volume/blend for the neck pickup.

Definitely a bit weird looking though; I dig it, but it's not for everyone:

TemjinStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
-42-, 77zark77, 7stringDemon, AcousticMinja, Alberto7, Ardez, Arteriorrhexis, Asrial, Augury, ayambakar, Bigfan, Bloody_Inferno, BucketheadRules, Church2224, Dead Undead, Deku, dime3334, dreamermind, drmosh, ElRay, Empryrean, Fred the Shred, GhostsofAcid, Greatoliver, GuitaristOfHell, HeHasTheJazzHands, Hemi-Powered Drone, Hendrix, Iamasingularity, ixlramp, jam3v, JP Universe, Konfyouzd, Kurkkuviipale, levijaymz, LordIronSpatula, Marcus, MaxOfMetal, MetalGravy, Miek, Murmel, NeoTheMaggot, nojyeloot, Nonservium, OmegaSlayer, Origin, OrsusMetal, Prydogga, ralphy1976, roast, RTheodoppalus, Ruins, SenorDingDong, ShadowFactoryX, ShadyDavey, shitsĝn, slowro, Solodini, Superwoodle, synrgy, s_k_mullins, technomancer, thedrummerkid, Thrashmanzac, thraxil, USMarine75, vampiregenocide, Vicissitude27, Wookieslayer, XEN, yellowv
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
plays in 69/42

Thrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
amazing!

...Each guitarist has an evil fat 40 year old blueswankler trying to get out, If you give in to temptation you'll be sitting next to a fender playing john lee hooker while trying to keep your combover in place.

-Desecrated

being black and enjoying watermelon, i think this thread needs more watermelon.
budda
Thrashmanzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
Rogue intellectual

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The bridge and the "D-tuner"/extended string setup are very similar to recent pieces by Ola Strandberg and Rick Toone. Except for, y'know, the part where this is a 25-year-old instrument. Nice score!
MetalBuddah and Solodini like this.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
consist of tones only, dismantled of words.
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Ibanez whore

theo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This is seriously cool! Love it, nice score
theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Bonitis.

Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
You say weird, I say freaking awesome.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Necris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
That is freaking cool

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
Suiçmez fanboy

GhostsofAcid is a jewel in the rough
I like it
GhostsofAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
The Optimist Prime.

GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
sweet!

If You're selling a Gibson Explorer PM Me!

Proud gear owner of:
Schecter V-1 ATX with passive duncans
Takamine EG 431 SC (something like that)
1994 Peavey bandit 112 combo/ head
Hughes and Kettner 4x12
Boss GT8
MXR ZW OD and that's all folks!
GuitaristOfHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
Banned

Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.
The ESP Funichar guitar has a similar drop-D thing going on. I'd really like to give something like that a shot. Sweet NBD, broseph.
Grand Moff Tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Did not see you being into headless at all; cool
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #11
Power Metal Cellist

TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Did not see you being into headless at all; cool
Nah, headless systems are pretty cool. I really dig the Klein and Tesla body shapes too.

My only problem with most headless systems is that they typically require one or more of the following:

-special double-ball strings (Steinberger)
-Allen keys for string changes (Strandberg and others)
-a tendonitis-inducing amount of force to grip and turn the tuner (I am not joking, sadly; that kind of grip-and-twist-a-very-hard-to-turn-small-cylinder motion seriously ....s with my fingers and wrist; this is an issue with the Steinbergers since there's little mechanical advantage and turning the damn things is actually really hard. It looks like it would be a similar problem with the current Strandberg design, as well as the ABM headless system and the one on the Teuffel Tesla.)

Because this uses worm gears to turn big string "wheels" there's a lot more mechanical advantage and they turn as easy as normal tuning keys. Also, the balance is fantastic, and it's a really distinctive-sounding bass.
Unread 12-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

groovemasta is a jewel in the rough
awesome
groovemasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #13
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
Didn't I see this instrument over on the TalkBass classifieds?

Every time I see one of these Kubickis, I think of Stu Hamm's two albums, Radio Free Albemuth and Kings of Sleep. I remember Stu doing around doing the workshops at the various guitar stores, demoing how he could easily flip the low D lever easily and repeatedly over the course of a few measures.

Nice score, friend.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #14
DLG
not guthrie govan

DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
If I remember correctly, Sean Malone played these in his Focus days, right?
DLG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 06:36 AM   #15
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I love these things.

They may be ugly as all sin, but REALLY comfortable. Not to mention way ahead of it's time. It's interesting to think, even after nearly three decades 99% of the industry still hasn't caught up.

Congrats, and great score!
OrsusMetal likes this.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #16
Shrederick

Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Damn! You scored a Kubicki! Always loved those things!

Buy my album, will you? My store | CDBaby
FredBrum.com
Happily endorsed by Jaden Rose Guitars, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Gruv Gear, Sik Pik Picks, PHD Picks and Spectraflex cables
Fred the Shred is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 07:31 AM   #17
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Kings of Sleep anyone?

Fabulous bases.

Count Zero - I SO nearly dropped guitar for bass.

SirMyghin likes this.

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #18
Sir Paul of the Mosh

drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
That's pure awesome in bass form
drmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #19
Looking to windward

Greatoliver is a jewel in the rough
That is awesome... Amazing that it is so old too! With the drop tuning thingy, is the only advantage of having it clamped down where the nut is, that you can use the e as a pedal note? I'm guessing it also is useful if you have guitarists switching between drop and standard tuning.

Losing sleep at Cambridge uni
Greatoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #20
Ibanez <3

guitarister7321 is just really niceguitarister7321 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Reminds me a lot of a Strandberg with the extended string thing.

That shit's the tits. Seafoam green is one of my favorite colors. Congrats!
guitarister7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #21
Ibanez <3

guitarister7321 is just really niceguitarister7321 is just really nice

guitarister7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #22
Power Metal Cellist

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarister7321 View Post

Although, as has been mentioned, this is 25 years old, and likely where Strandberg got the idea from

But yeah. Seriously ahead of its time. Kubicki still makes these, pretty much unchanged (although he uses pretty woods and transparent finishes these days) and they're STILL way ahead of most modern instruments.

The worst part is, now I really want a Factor 5, with the same bridge and tuners... none of this Key Factor stuff. But as near as I can tell they've never built one, and it would be expensive as .... if they did (the new Factors are something like $3-4 grand these days!)
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #23
wat

jam3v is just really nicejam3v is just really nice
I'm having flashbacks to the 80's! Nice bass!
jam3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #24
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
You said "weird" in the title, but I'm pretty sure you meant "AWESOME"

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #25
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Looks epic imo! Congrats.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote