homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Bass Guitar Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Bass Guitar Discussion All bass guitar related discussion here.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-31-2011, 03:07 AM   #26
Banned

thedarkoceans is just really nicethedarkoceans is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
well,i technique used with 8 string guitars tuned to low F is "when the guitar goes down,the bass goes up to unison" and it is cool,if the bass hasnt got a muddy tone.you could easily tune to Ab in a 34" i often do it.but you should keep only the bridge pick up (in my huble opinion).
take care
thedarkoceans is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-31-2011, 03:53 AM   #27
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
If I were in that band, I'd probably keep my bass tuned the way it is (F# B E A D G C F) because that's where I know all the notes are.

You say that you already learned bass in drop C, so you're used to having that p5 between the lowest strings. If you plan on doubling the guitar parts (there's nothing wrong with that), it makes sense to use the same tuning down an octave for ease of learning. If you don't plan on doubling for the most part, you can pretty much tune however you like. However, I would make sure, for the sake of keeping my options open, to keep the lowest at least an octave below the lowest guitar note.

Also, as someone else mentioned, that low Ab is low enough that you can quite effectively play in the sam octave as the guitar and still get a quite heavy timbre, see Meshuggah* for reference.

Since you're used to drop C, I'd suggest Ab0 Eb1 Ab1 Db2 Gb2 Cb2 (G#0 D#1 G#1 C#2 F#2 B2). For gauges, use this. First put in your current tuning and gauges to get the tension, then put in the desired tuning and tension to get the gauges.

*A personal first, I've finally recommended Meshuggah. It seems weird that I've been posting here this long and I've only now done it.
Waelstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 04:01 AM   #28
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well, like I said I see no problem with down tuning, it just makes more sense to me in riff-based scenarios and doesn't by definition stop you being an interesting bassist.

However, like thedarkoceans said above - "when the guitar goes down, the bass goes up to unison". That's what I'd suggest for tunings around F or so. Infact, G# is probably the limit at which I would play the bass an octave under the guitar.
So I'd either tune to Ab Eb Ab Db Gb B with a .145 gauge string, or tune with an extra high string and play the Ab riffs on the higher Ab string.
However, that may not work well depending on the context of the riffs. I think an octave lower works better until you hit F# or lower.
thedarkoceans likes this.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #29
Lon
drop it like its G#!

Lon is a name known to allLon is a name known to allLon is a name known to allLon is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
so, the biggest advantage of droptuning is... thinner strings, you avoid a lot of problems because you can tune up the full step, AND be honest in droptune-territories you cant use the lowest string for melody anyways because it will just cloud and shit over the arngement big-time, maybe try viewing it as a standard-tuning 5 string whilst having a lower string exclusively for doubling guitars.

in my progmetal band we use bass melodies and arpeggios a lot for laying down a moving and energetic foundation, but usually these arpeggios never have notes below the F2/G2 because it gets too muddy in the whole arrangement, but we play in drop C (standard C on bass)

"You will find that being in a band is much like having a relationship with a woman except there are a lot more crybabies with vaginas in the band scene." - ChrisRushing
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #30
SS.org Regular

ixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar_4514 View Post
Well what tuning would you recommend?The band plays in Drop Ab and I use a 6 string bass with 34' scale length.
If anyone has some alternate tunings that would please let me know.

And also,I dont mimic the guitar most of the time.Of course I do play the roots so some parts but on other sections of songs I do not usually mimic and copy what the guitarist is doing.I prefer going off and play a melody upon melody but of course while in key and not just some random crap.
I would recommend keeping the familiar all-fourths tuning but starting on Ab, this is BEADGC detuned by 3 semitones, Ab Db Gb B E A. Circle K Strings sets are here: Circle K Strings - Standard Balanced 6 Strings I recommend the .150 (light), .158 or .166 (medium) sets . Or with other brands no less than a .145 for Ab.
ixlramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #31
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
Like I said before, the reality is, if a piece was composed for a specific tuning it is usually best to play it in that tuning.

*eye roll emoticon insert here*

It just saves brain ache. And finger strain.

that's what I found after trying really hard NOT to do down tune and play Properly.

Onto the other interesting discussion in this thread; What happened to Bass players!!!!

My little theory was exposed by my choice of videos. They're all the ones a modern bass player is supposed to know, like how to play Victor Wooten chops or Stu Hamm tapping licks as "Audition Busters". Then when it comes time to play, throw all that out the window and play unisons with the guitarist all the time.

It's kind of in the name: A Band...

I love unison playing. Why should the guitarist get to play all the good licks while the bass player just plays roots to the kick drum?

My feeling is that the bass playing super egos (as I presented earlier on the 1st page) killed off imagination and the will to present it to an audience.

In metal there's no frequency range left for bass noodles. My choice is to play a sound reinforcement role with the single minded objective of NEVER BEING HEARD, EVER. If I play perfect it will be as if I am not there but the band sounds amazing. It's like being the goal keeper in a soccer team; boring but important.

Generally being a live Boss OC-2 for the guitarist keeps the best level of presentation for a performance. If something special is required no problem, but the music will inform that choice.

There's a great bass player at a jam I go to. He plays all the mad "$£%. Genius. All I hear is "yeah, he's a genius .. but he gets in the way all the time..." etc. etc.

It's the fate of modern bass players to be a utility instrument. I remember playing tapping solo's through delays and FX at my first ever bass gigs, coming off stage to hear people all over the bar complaining that although they liked it and were impressed bass players just don't do those sorts of things.

Just look at John Myung in Dream Theater. No one has ever heard him! He's too tight.

I'm Pro Unison Bass playing.

Hardest thing to play on bass : Malmsteen - Black star

4 minutes of doing ONLY a sliding octave will carve the flesh to the bone and induce agony and blood loss. I was recording it for fun... Looped it due to digital damage.

Solo bass or songs written to feature bass are TOTALLY different!!! Be free !

It's all about presenting a lyric, at the end of the day.
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 09:10 PM   #32
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^^^

There is a different between playing a bit of front, and overplaying out front, but to except nothing but unisons is a terrible waste of a player. That bass player at your jams sounds good but immature, you need to be able to walk the line and know when to cross it. If the music has no room for anything but bass unisons, it doesn't need to bass in the first place. A band should be greater than the sum of its parts, but by having such constraining rolls, you will be lucky to get by as the sum of the parts. You effectively have one member not contributing in the slightest to the music itself (filling out frequency in unison is not contributing in a meaningful way, it is doing the bare minimum).

This type of philosophy is likely a very large reason why I don't play in metal bands

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #33
SS.org Regular

ixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud of
Quote:
If anyone has some alternate tunings that would please let me know.
You want an alternative tuning? Okay ... all fifths AbEbBbFCG, my 6 string was tuned to this for a while. The range of an 8 string bass or keyboard, 5 octaves, so you can play really low and really high, chords in fifths tuning are very beautiful.
Unread 07-31-2011, 09:52 PM   #34
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
@Sirmyghin

Quote:
You effectively have one member not contributing in the slightest to the music itself (filling out frequency in unison is not contributing in a meaningful way, it is doing the bare minimum).
It's a job, man. Don't knock it.

After learning to play Wooten, Pastorius, Mark King, Marcus Miller, Dream Theater and seeing many bands with many approaches and playing bass for 12 years: predominantly unisons in metal is my verdict.

Of course there will be variety, but as a general rule begin from unisons and then expand to taste.

Vocal is king, don't get in the way.

Just my thoughts.

Of course I love playing the good stuff, but click track metal requires a tightness I think, as a bass player and guitarist, can only be created through predominantly unisons.

You make the parts fun anyway, otherwise you wouldn't play them in the first place.

I totally agree with what your saying and dislike my approach entirely; it's just my experience that it is the most complimentary way to play modern metal.

And there's no denying that matching a guitarist with 60-10's on 135-35 bass strings (with the weight and bulk, too) requires a high level of instrumental precision and skill. I would be much worse as a guitarist if I hadn't spent so much time with bass. No doubt.

Most importantly, every musician does it differently and THAT is the joy of music.
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:26 PM   #35
ss.org Regular

Czar_4514 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlramp View Post
I would recommend keeping the familiar all-fourths tuning but starting on Ab, this is BEADGC detuned by 3 semitones, Ab Db Gb B E A. Circle K Strings sets are here: Circle K Strings - Standard Balanced 6 Strings I recommend the .150 (light), .158 or .166 (medium) sets . Or with other brands no less than a .145 for Ab.

So would the .142 .106 .079 .059 .043 .031 pack work?

And for the record,I use standard 6 string tuning(BEADGC)and not the F#BEADG tuning.
Czar_4514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #36
SS.org Regular

Quote:
So would the .142 .106 .079 .059 .043 .031 pack work?

And for the record,I use standard 6 string tuning(BEADGC)and not the F#BEADG tuning.
You're asking if it will work for BEADGC? Yes, that set will be medium tension (43 pounds) when tuned BEADGC. Also you can detune it by 3 semitones, it will have extra-light tension (30 pounds) when tuned Ab standard.
Circle K tension chart here: http://circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/...nsionChart.pdf
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #37
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-ZenGtr- View Post
@Sirmyghin

It's a job, man. Don't knock it.

After learning to play Wooten, Pastorius, Mark King, Marcus Miller, Dream Theater and seeing many bands with many approaches and playing bass for 12 years: predominantly unisons in metal is my verdict.

Of course there will be variety, but as a general rule begin from unisons and then expand to taste.
Not knocking your appraoch or job (hell whatever pays the bills), which for me is not music. So I can afford to be whimsical and turn stuff down. I used to play wooten type stuff, then I got bad thumb tendinitis, and since have not gone back down that road (I did manage to get my body back pain free though, which is more important. Most of my effort is more towards solo composition through multiple instruments, so I can build each of my tracks from the ground up for my needs. It is just hobby, afterall.

Having a day career however lets me be very choosy about who I bother to play alongside . I also have more than a decade on bass, chasing you at 11 years. I am a bassist who pretends to play guitar a fair deal.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote