homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Bass Guitar Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Bass Guitar Discussion All bass guitar related discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-02-2011, 04:09 AM   #26
SS.org Regular

deevit will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was not referring to Willis as an objective pary. I just quoted him to show that even the best fretless players use lined fretless basses. A lot of people seem to think lined basses are less worthy or less proffesional or something and that's something I tried to keer out here.

And saying that lines are against the idea of fretless bass really is wrong IMO. Either with or without them, the player has to make the intonation. And especially above the 12th fret they really help (to be honest, most unlined players are really false up there). The way of intonating on the lines is different high up the neck too. I'm quite sure that I would play false as hell above the octave on an unlined bass, but with my lined bass I'm doing quite well.
deevit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #27
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus View Post
There's nothing "not right" about what he said- frankly, having seen and taught lots of bass players, guys who play with lines tend to use them as a crutch for way too long and have far less developed sense of intonation than unlined players. Of course you have to adapt and intonate, but I've found that lined players don't do this very well because most have ears so bad that they don't even realize that X line is actually not very in tune.

Either one is fine, but the learning curve on an unlined is much smaller than you think (with exception to in the higher registers, but all fretless players suck there for a long time) and they tend to pay significantly more attention to developing their ear than lined players.

Quoting Willis isn't a good strategy either- he is ABSOLUTELY resolute that his opinions on fretless are the gospel. I don't mind, because I love his playing and have taken lessons from him in the past, but I wouldn't call him an objective party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevit View Post
I was not referring to Willis as an objective pary. I just quoted him to show that even the best fretless players use lined fretless basses. A lot of people seem to think lined basses are less worthy or less proffesional or something and that's something I tried to keer out here.

And saying that lines are against the idea of fretless bass really is wrong IMO. Either with or without them, the player has to make the intonation. And especially above the 12th fret they really help (to be honest, most unlined players are really false up there). The way of intonating on the lines is different high up the neck too. I'm quite sure that I would play false as hell above the octave on an unlined bass, but with my lined bass I'm doing quite well.
Yeah, just think about all all those other fretless instruments of the past with lines like violin, viola, oud, shamisen, cello, doublebass...

As for the second bolded bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus
but all fretless players suck there for a long time) and they tend to pay significantly more attention to developing their ear than lined players.
Anyone can look a t line, but it takes practice to be able to hit those notes spot on without them (duh). "Either with or without them, the player has to make the intonation" Yeah, once again, duh, but who is the more talented and well versed player, the one who can look at lines and touch near/on them, or the one who can find the notes by ear or through the feel of the instrument?

One other thought, the lines most certainly ARE against the idea of the fretless if one plans to use them for something like twelve tone composition. At least in that knowing the layout off a standard fretboard won't be of too much help, imo for whatever that's worth. The side dots are better indicators of the basic note layout on the board for my taste. Plus I just think that unlined looks nicer.

tl;dr
I'm not trying to be as combative as this reads to me. Just don't hate
on unlined.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #28
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlordmugfug View Post

tl;dr
I'm not trying to be as combative as this reads to me. Just don't hate
on unlined.
Me neither, nothing wrong with a little discussion right?
And I'm not bashing unlined at all, I'm sorry if it looked that way. I'm just saying that the lines are not pointless, even for 'good' fretless players. I'd like to own an unlined fretess someday, but for main playing I prefer a lined one. Not only for intonation as I said, but it really helps a lot keeping a good overall view on the neck in my experience.
Both lined and unlined have their advantages and charms.
Unread 02-05-2011, 02:25 AM   #29
Power Metal Cellist

TemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I play cello, have for nearly 16 years now. I'm used to unlined fretless boards. I still like having lines on a fretless bass as I rock out hard, and can't always guarantee being able to hear myself.
TemjinStrife is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #30
:O

Excalibur is a jewel in the rough
A fretless is great especially as a learning tool, you can only get better by using one
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #31
ss.org Regular

diatron5 will become famous soon enough
1. I don't know that much about bass but I have played fretless before and it sounded great and was pretty easy to get around on.

diatron5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #32
Frets? What frets?

Varcolac is a splendid one to beholdVarcolac is a splendid one to beholdVarcolac is a splendid one to beholdVarcolac is a splendid one to beholdVarcolac is a splendid one to behold
That Augury track sounds like a fretted in places. Maybe it's some fretted-unfretted double-necked monstrosity like Steve DiGiorgio plays?

I have two lined fretlesses, but that's because they began their lives as fretted basses. Having the lines there is something of a psychological crutch for me, since I can look down and check I'm in the right position. Don't necessarily need them - I play double bass and violin just fine without any lines on the fingerboard - I just think I'm used to them being there, used to being able to double-check my finger position if we've got a shitty monitor mix. The next bass I buy will likely be a 6-string unlined fretless, so that'll be a barrel of laughs to see if I really don't need the lines...

Anyway, more fretless bass stuff.

SchecterWhore: "Development, phase four. Beethoven
takes you for a ride through space in his Pontiac Trans Am."
Varcolac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #33
Banned

Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varcolac View Post
That Augury track sounds like a fretted in places. Maybe it's some fretted-unfretted double-necked monstrosity like Steve DiGiorgio plays?
He probably just tracked certain parts with a fretted bass and the rest with fretless. There are videos of him playing both fretted and fretless basses on youtube.

Necris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #34
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necris View Post

He really could use some lines for those double stops though..

For some great metal fretless playing, check out Cynic (ofcourse) and Exivious.