homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Bass Guitar Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Bass Guitar Discussion All bass guitar related discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-21-2006, 04:33 AM   #1
Desecrated
Dirty Lurker

Bass players that use 5 string

Is there any really good metal bass-players that uses a 5 string, or any other kind of musicstyle, i have to record bass all week and I want some inspiration.
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-21-2006, 04:39 AM   #2
Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator

DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Steve Digiorgio - has played/recorded with Sadus, Death, Autopsy, Tetsament and many others, right now he's playing in Sebastian Bach's band, of all things, well worth your time.
DDDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 04:40 AM   #3
OldschoolGhettostyle

Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I really like the old bassplayer for Incubus, Dirk Lance. I recommend listening to the album, "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." It isn't metal. It's kind of hard rock with influences from funk, electronic music, alternative, rock, and some metal.

Most of the metal bands I like that have 5-string bass players, you can't even hear the bass most of the time (a general problem with modern metal).
Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 04:42 AM   #4
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Steve DiGiorgio of Testament/Sadus/Death/Iced Earth/blah blah Blah..
Eric Langlois, Cryptopsy
Tony Choy,Atheist
Novy, Behemoth/Vader/Dies Iraes/Devilyn
Orion/Behemoth
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 04:48 AM   #5
Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator

DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Slightly off topic, but I read on Blabbermouth the other day that Sean Malone (ex-Cynic/OSI) is putting out a theory/instructional bass book through Hal Leonard. The blurb made a point of mentioning that it was very bass-specific but it would be cool to own nonetheless.
DDDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 08:17 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

Nats is a glorious beacon of lightNats is a glorious beacon of lightNats is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren
I really like the old bassplayer for Incubus, Dirk Lance. I recommend listening to the album, "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." It isn't metal. It's kind of hard rock with influences from funk, electronic music, alternative, rock, and some metal.

Most of the metal bands I like that have 5-string bass players, you can't even hear the bass most of the time (a general problem with modern metal).
yup. too bad he's not in the band anymore. i never found out why he left (or got kicked out) i like his playing on their first cd the best. but SCIENCE is badass too
Nats is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 08:55 AM   #7
Bleed the Freak

grim tr00 kvlt will become famous soon enough
Alex Webster, Steve DiGiorgio, the guy from Mudvayne is quite good too for slap/pop bass playing.
grim tr00 kvlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 08:59 AM   #8
Tone Whore

garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.
Robert Trujillo of Metallica, uses a Zon Sonus RT5

"Im sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocritics
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth. "
John Lennon
garcia3441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
There are so many 5-string bass players to list that I like, recently, my favorite 5-string bass player has been Tony Franklin from Tony MacAlpine's Premonition and Evolution, he is awesome.

Dirk Lance is good and so is Steve DiGiorgio and just about every one that was listed so far.

My Guitar Videos My Band/Project

Guitars~

1991 Ibanez UV7PWH (Dead Mint),
1991 Ibanez UV7BK (Mint),
1998 (F97) Ibanez RG7620BK (refinished in Arctic White),
1999 Ibanez S7420FMTT (silver dot),
2013 Ibanez RG8WH,
1999 Fender Made in Mexico Strat (white, maple fretboard)
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #10
Tone Whore

garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.
Nikki Sixx uses a 5-string (Sometimes)

"Im sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocritics
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth. "
John Lennon
garcia3441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 02:45 PM   #11
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Singer/bassist from Becoming the Archetype.

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
I forget morbid angel, but David Vincent doesnt use them all the time... most of the time he uses a 4 string tuned to Bb and a 4 string tuned to Eb.. but i've seen him with a 5 string once or twice i tihnk.
Unread 08-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #13
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
The bassists from Unearth and Through the Eyes of the Dead.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #14
Street-good guy

drshock is a jewel in the rough
Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne, Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse

Do you know my name?
Do you know my NUMBER?
drshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 01:22 AM   #15
ss.org Regular

olsta has a spectacular aura about
Jason Newsted, Marco Coti Zelati (Lacuna Coil) to name some more

CLAIM THE THRONE

Current Arsenal

Ibanez RG 7321 with Custom Seymour Duncans
olsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 07:12 AM   #16
set-thru, a$$h0l3

TheCopeOfHeaven is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nats
yup. too bad he's not in the band anymore. i never found out why he left (or got kicked out) i like his playing on their first cd the best. but SCIENCE is badass too
check Wikipedia
TheCopeOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2006, 06:12 AM   #17
SS.org Regular

okta is on a distinguished road
talking about 5 string bass. Anyone tried the Ibanez BTB405QM? been eyeing on one for sometime now
okta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2006, 08:28 AM   #18
Desecrated
Dirty Lurker

okta
I tried most of the btb series, and it was not good. Not for that price.
Unread 08-23-2006, 10:30 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

okta is on a distinguished road
really?

then wat would recomend for a 5 string bass for the same price?
okta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #20
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDorian
Slightly off topic, but I read on Blabbermouth the other day that Sean Malone (ex-Cynic/OSI) is putting out a theory/instructional bass book through Hal Leonard. The blurb made a point of mentioning that it was very bass-specific but it would be cool to own nonetheless.
I thought he either already did, or he's been (publically) working on it for some time now...?

Either way, the man kicks ass. This is good news.

i play a 5-string, but I suck. :/

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2006, 02:18 PM   #21
Desecrated
Dirty Lurker

okta

yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
I thought he either already did, or he's been (publically) working on it for some time now...?

Either way, the man kicks ass. This is good news.

i play a 5-string, but I suck. :/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/063...891231?ie=UTF8

this one ?

Last edited by Desecrated; 08-23-2006 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 08-23-2006, 04:32 PM   #22
Bunnies :wub:

Spoongirl is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Spoongirl is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Spoongirl is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Spoongirl is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Spoongirl is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Spoongirl is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Spoongirl is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Alex Webster I must say.

Signature Removed - Image file size must be under 400 kb
Spoongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2006, 06:07 PM   #23
Desecrated
Dirty Lurker

alex webster, is that cannibal corpse bass player ?
Unread 08-24-2006, 07:57 PM   #24
Hates the Air

Yeah, i thought he used a 4 but now that i think about he uses 5. Badass player and a really nice guy.
Unread 08-25-2006, 02:44 AM   #25
OldschoolGhettostyle

Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Jeff Walker, the bass player/singer for Carcass, played 5-string bass.
Naren is offline   Reply With Quote