homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Bass Guitar Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Bass Guitar Discussion All bass guitar related discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

Disco Volante is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That fretless Warwick has no fret buzz...

So I was in my local Guitar Center trying out a fretless 4 string Warwick Thumb. (I own a fretless Corvette model because I got it for a steal on Ebay but I think the Thumb is just an amazing bass overall.) Anyway I was jamming along, had it plugged into an Ampeg SVT Classic (you know, THE bass head since like the late 60s) and was getting some awesome tones out of this setup.

After a while a GC employee takes notice and walks by to ask how I was liking everything. He goes into sales pitch mode after I say I'm really digging the sounds and comments on how high of quality Warwick instruments are and then proceeds to tell me "wow, that bass has like almost no fret buzz, you can tell it's really well-made" I stop playing immediately and give him a quizzical look and reply "...uh.. yeah.. it has no frets." Just when I think he's said the stupidest thing ever, he keeps talking...

He then proceeds to lean on the amp and then suddenly pulls back and puts his hand on top of the Ampeg head and remarks "oh man, something must be wrong with this amp, it's getting really warm!" I reply calmly "Of course, it's an all-tube amp, they tend to get a little warm" The employee then exclaims "A tube bass amp? I thought that tubes were only for guitar amps?"

Now I know tons of people have plenty of stories about dumb employees at the big brand stores but come on! This was almost as bad as the Mitsubishi dealer salesman that told me when I asked him a basic question about the Lancer Evolution that "I'd probably know more about the car than him." Where are the qualified salespeople in this world?

EBMM JP6 Mystic Dream, Fully Loaded -Inlays (Born 3/3/09)
ESP LTD Viper 301, w/ Duncans (59' Neck / SH-4 JB Bridge)
Mesa Mark IV Widebody
Disco Volante is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Power Metal Cellist

TemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Qualified salespeople are generally the ones who are making too much money to bother working at selling what they know anything about.
TemjinStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
blah blah blah

punisher911 is a glorious beacon of lightpunisher911 is a glorious beacon of lightpunisher911 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
one word sums it all up..

WOW....

the economy sucks, there isn't somebody more qualified for the job then this?

If it's good enough for Tom Morello, it's good enough for me.

Women are like Voltron. The more you hook up, the better it gets...
punisher911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Derp

MrMcSick is just really niceMrMcSick is just really nice
Dumbbbbb

I want a bolt on thumb 5 soooooooo bad.
MrMcSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
Power Metal Cellist

TemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud ofTemjinStrife has much to be proud of
Also, while the guy is obviously an idiot, there are a number of modern "SVTs" in that traditional headshell that are solid state like the SVT-350 and SVT-450, and they're way more common in music stores than the CLs and VRs.

If GCs and the like weren't such retail hellholes, they might get some better service. But there are better places to work for more money.
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinStrife View Post
Also, while the guy is obviously an idiot, there are a number of modern "SVTs" in that traditional headshell that are solid state like the SVT-350 and SVT-450, and they're way more common in music stores than the CLs and VRs.
True, but this was the Classic SVT vintage looking model that was quite expensive. If there was one bass amp in the store he should know about, it should be that one. It's like the Fender Strat of bass amps.

Mesa Mark IV Widebody
Unread 07-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
Power Metal Cellist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Volante View Post
True, but this was the Classic SVT vintage looking model that was quite expensive. If there was one bass amp in the store he should know about, it should be that one. It's like the Fender Strat of bass amps.
Also, you're expecting what is probably a guitar kid to know about bass stuff. In my experience, the average GC employee knows enough about guitars and guitar amps to sell them to the average person, but absolutely nothing about bass gear.

Just last week I had asked someone to pull a bass down from a high rack that I couldn't reach (being only 5'8".) I said "The red P bass with the dark wenge neck up there." There was only one P-bass, and the only other red one was an Ibanez BTB. It was also labeled "Red P-Bass with Warmoth Wenge Neck." He reached for the Ibanez.
Unread 07-04-2010, 12:12 AM   #8
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Fretless basses can buzz, just like fretted ones. While it's not technically "fret buzz" I'd be lying if I said I never used that particular term off hand to describe what is really "fingerboard buzz". Getting a fretboard to be shaped perfectly for a fretless instrument is an art form when done right, just like fretwork.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Fretless basses can buzz, just like fretted ones.
Being the Jaco Pastorius fan that I am I like that buzz. I tried some groundwound strings on mine to ease the wear and tear on the fretboard but it doesn't give that nice warm buzzy sound that roundwounds give. They also sound so lifeless since they aren't as bright as roundwounds are so I'm going to switch back.

Mesa Mark IV Widebody
Unread 07-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

Dragonfly is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow... I would have SUCH fun with someone like that by telling them all kinds of false facts, but yeah that's me
Dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
SS Contributor

TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.
wow

i work in a misuc store and everyone there actaully knows what theyr talking about with most anything, not just the instruments they play

just wow
TimSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #12
Power Metal Cellist

The semi-technical term for the sound of roundwounds on a fretless is "mwah," apparently

Very fun sound.
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinStrife View Post
The semi-technical term for the sound of roundwounds on a fretless is "mwah," apparently

Very fun sound.
Ohhh yeah that's what it's called, thanks I forgot the actual name of it. You are correct it is called "mwah" Can't get enough of that sound!

Mesa Mark IV Widebody