View Single Post
Unread 12-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
God Hand Apostle
Tin Foil Central

God Hand Apostle is a name known to allGod Hand Apostle is a name known to allGod Hand Apostle is a name known to allGod Hand Apostle is a name known to all
I'm a spatial learner so I'll give you a diagram here;

Key: d = diminished / m - minor / M = Major / A = Augmented (Notice I use lower case (smaller) letters for smaller values, and CAPITAL (Larger) letters for larger values).

Larger----------------------------------------->
(d) - half step (m) - half step (M) - half step (A)
<-----------------------------------------Smaller

So, this little doojob here can tell you that a minor interval is TWO half steps smaller than an Augmented interval. A Major interval in made minor by decreasing its size by ONE half step...etc.

So what does this mean about triads?
diminished triad - made from a minor triad lowering the 5th ONE half step, or by raising the root and 3rd ONE half step.
minor triads - 1st, 3rd, and 5th degrees of a minor scale.
Major triads - 1st, 3rd, and 5th degrees of a Major scale.
Augmented - made from a Major triad raising the 5th ONE half step, or by lowering the root and 3rd ONE half step.

I dont even remember what your actual question was now...

Where art thou Romeo?

Ok, I re-read your post...so...if you know that a diminished triad is a minor triad with a lower 5th, then you also know what a minor triad is by reverse-engineering that sucker right? Same would go for finding a Major triad from an Augmented.

Examples:
Given a basic minor triad (A,C,E) add accidentals to make it diminished.
- As above, just take the 5th and lower it ONE half step. (A,C,Eb). BLAM~!

Given a basic minor triad (DFA) add accidentals to make it diminished.
- As above, just take the root and 3rd and raise them ONE half step. (D#,F#,A) BLAM!

.....So, like did any of that help...was I even answering the question? haha
God Hand Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote