Thread: Metal survey
View Single Post
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
lucasreis
ERG Ambassador

lucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to all
Cool, I'll gladly respond to it (and also read every member's answer!! hehe)

How old were you when you first got into heavy metal?

I was 7 years old, very influenced by my mother, who always listened to Sabbath, Zeppelin, Queen, among others.

What drew you to heavy metal?

I always liked the way the electric guitar sounds, the distortion, and metal just took everything to the next level. It's the best way to experience a good guitar-bass-drums combo. It means so much more to me than Punk Rock, which sounds too flat.

How old are you now?

28 years old

What is your gender?

Male

Do you think there is an inherent value system in the metal community?

I guess that, to be metal, it has to belong to a certain attitude and ethos. Power Metal is way different than Djent or Thrash Metal, for example, but whenever a person listens to it, it's easily identifiable as metal. Because of certain characteristics of the way it sounds.

Why is metal important to you?

It means everything to me. I can't explain, it's like therapy for my ears and my brain. The way metal sounds, it helps me to get things off my chest, to give me courage, strenght, it makes me happy... I don't know how to explain, but it's kind of like a drug addiction to me, and one I never want to quit. I just feel like I need to listen to it every single day... if I'm sad, it makes me happy, if I'm happy, it makes me even more happy. It's just joy in form of music, to me. Also, it made a better person, in terms of learning new cultures. English is not my first language, but nowadays I work as a translator (English, Spanish, Portuguese) and metal was key for me to learn this language, which I love even more than my mother tongue (Portuguese). I love the way English sounds, and a large part of it is because of metal.

Do you ever feel like you are looked down on by people who are not part of the metal community?

Yes, absolutely, almost always. People are quick to judge, and even more so because I don't really look like a metal fan in the eyes of people who stereotype it. They always come off as surprised when I say what I'm into... and it used to bug me, but now I think it's funny (looks are deceptive, people should just deal with it).

Has your personal taste in metal ever been attacked by other metal heads?

Yeah, several times. That's the part I don't like about the metal community. Too many purists who are not open minded. I would say that a good 95% of what I listen to is rock/metal oriented, but I was attacked for liking stuff that is outside of the metal realm, as well for liking more "commercial" rock and metal acts and I honestly think it's bullshit, because I don't like to attack anyone. Outside of that, it's all good.

How do you deem someone an authentic metalhead?

A person who does not care about what people think and who follows metal, who really likes the style, and everything that is associated with it. I mean... I'm not a metalhead in terms of the way I look, but the attitude is inside of me, so I think that a real metal fan doesn't really care if he/she has the looks, a real metal fan is about the music, about the feeling, about going to concerts and experiencing it to the fullest.

How do you deem a band an authentic metal band?

A band that is heavy, of course, and who isn't afraid to take risks, even if it means pissing off their fans and the metal community. Metal is attitude, metal is not just style, I guess being metal is not conforming to what is common, it's not conforming to guidelines, is always trying to achieve something different, that's it.
lucasreis is offline   Reply With Quote