Alright, now that I'm healthy again, I'm back into building guitars. I'll be making 2 "sister" builds. Same shape, but completely different in every other way.
First off... the wood. You already know this ones:
Bastogne walnut top, and birdseye maple board.
Next (and I just got this delivered today) Is a ....load of granadillo (Platymiscium yucatanum)!
The 2 long pieces will be used for 2 necks. 1 for this build as a 5 piece, and the other for a future build... maybe as a 1 piece neck. The other 2 pieces are a bookmatched top for one of the 2 builds.
more granadillo pics!
Check that figure out!
For those of you who don't know. Granadillo is a retardedly hard and dense wood. It's also incredibly stable, and has the most beautiful taptone I've heard in my life. I've been hunting these kind of boards for almoast a year now, and I think it's really going to pay off.
Anywho... I've only done work on the walnut axe so far, and I'm already far into the build, so here come a ton of pics of that build... As always, everything was cut by hand, so I show a lot of pics of boards being cut to largen my epeen.
Queue the br00talz!
Start off by cutting a huge board to make neck laminates!
Cut off the headstock part for a scarf joint.
Since I don't want to waste ANY wood, I cut the headstock in half... like so:
And then sliced the other part into 6 strips for the laminates.
I'll be able to make 2 necks out of that board alone.
I took 3 of them, and put them together with some flamed maple leftovers...
Glueueued them together!
Planed it down.
Then, I cut the walnut top, because I needed offcuts for the headstock.
Glued offcuts onto the headstock piece thing.
ERECTED the superjig!
Machined and mated both surfaces at 15°
And glued them together.
As you can see, I used 2 nails and some tape to keep the parts from creeping under preassure.
And it came out like this:
To be Continued...