View Single Post
Unread 02-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #16
texshred777
SS.org Regular

texshred777 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade629 View Post
I'm in the same boat, I've been wanting to try D&D and Avalon Hill for a while but have not really found others willing to play. They do the D&D night thing at my local comic book store but I'm afraid I'll be too much of a noob and hinder the game.
D&D's a good, pretty basic game to start with. My two biggest tips for any newbie is:

Get the players handbook and familiarize yourself with the basics of the game. Make a few characters. Play out some scenarios by yourself to get a feel for how the whole action resolution/combat systems work.

Calculate all numbers(bonuses/modifiers) to all skills/attacks on your character sheet. These usually don't change terribly often, so it's worth a little time to write that shit in there. Having to look all over your character sheet and do math before you roll anything holds up the game and THAT'S what will piss experienced players off more than anything. Not being as effective because you're unfamiliar with all the intricacies of the game isn't so bad.

Make CHARACTERS, not classes. Your warrior/mage/rogue/etc has a name, a history, a personality. The game will be much more rewarding/fun if you can get into that character and actually play them as such. Give them quirks, virtues, vices. The silent, stoic Aragorn, Jin, etc types are WAAAAY overdone. Deadpool's a mouthy, obnoxious bastard. He's also deadly and very useful. Tony Stark's an egotistical alcoholic, but nonetheless, Iron Man's good to have on your side. Your characters skills and combat prowess shouldn't define your character. You can take or leave this, some just want to play it like an MMO where their "spec" defines them..that's fine. I just don't personally find that type of play rewarding.
texshred777 is offline   Reply With Quote