View Single Post
Unread 12-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #16
ixlramp
SS.org Regular

ixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud of
Interesting, thanks pal.

Unfortunate that a bass F has an ideal gauge of around .018-.020, as this is precisely the critical and problematic transition point from wound to plain: at around these gauges, a wound string would have a very thin core barely able to take the tension ... however a plain string, being a solid rod, is inflexible and has a somewhat dull inharmonic tone. I don't like to use plains thicker than .016.

So now when i design a tuning i work outwards from this point, starting with the optimum wound-to-plain pair of gauges and then adding strings above and below. I always use the thinnest practical wound available to me, which results in the thinnest plain string adjacent to it. I also drop the tension from wound to plain to mellow the tone of the plain for a better tone blend, also a thinner plain is more flexible for a better tone.

Some examples from my past:
Fifths Conklin .022w, .013p
Fifths D'Addario.025w, .014p
350 cent neutral thirds D'Addario .025w, .016p

Interesting and lucky then that many standard guitar sets go from .024w to .016p.
ixlramp is offline   Reply With Quote