View Single Post
Unread 10-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #988
Mordacain
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Out of curiosity, has anyone (besides me) tried mixing the same amp model with different sag/bias/hum settings? I made a patch trying to emulate Petrucci's rhythm tone for "On the Backs of Angels" using that method. While I didn't succeed in capturing the strange warble Petrucci has I did wind up with a seriously awesome tone.

Essentially, 1 side is a Recto model, one with a really low sag / hum setting (to get a super dry, more Mark style tone) and the other side is another Recto with relatively the same EQ with about 70% sag and 30-40% hum and a little higher bias & excursion to try and capture the crazy output tube compression. I used different mic models on both. Just A/B'd each individually and picked the one that best captured the core tone.

It sounds so good I'm thinking about doing the same thing to the other patches I've made already that are chiefly dry amp tones. It really adds a lot of depth and sounds much more like playing with an amp in the room through headphones.

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote